Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Dobber Sports Giant

Default WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Not sure if this was posted anywhere but seconds after receiving his 2nd place silver medal, Sweden’s captain, Lias Andersson, skates away and tosses the medal over the glass into the seats!!

I’m torn because I know how bad it must feel to fall short at such an important competition but on the other end... wtf!

What’s your take on it?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Lias Anderson doesn't like silver

Right after having the silver medal put around his neck, Anderson skates to the glass and tosses it into the crowd. This loss stung quite a bit I'd say

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news...gLE&ocid=ientp
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

haha.. I juuuuuuust posted the same thing... if a mod could merge the two? I posted a link to the MSN article

Dobber Sports Giant

Hehe! My wife flipped the channel as soon it was over to watch her show... I didn’t get to see or hear about this until today.

Just saw it was discussed in the WJHC thread too; my bad.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...-Thread/page18
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hehe! My wife flipped the channel as soon it was over to watch her show... I didn’t get to see or hear about this until today.

Just saw it was discussed in the WJHC thread too; my bad.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...-Thread/page18
    same... I think it deserves its own thread though

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    same... I think it deserves its own thread though
    Agreed!! I was shocked when I saw the clip moments before posting this.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Deity

A lot of talk about this on my facebook this morning too. I will share what I posted on one of my friends wall who thought it was a "sore loser move".

Thats the type of guy I want on my team. You cant teach someone how to hate losing like that. That kid wants to win and nothing else. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't disrespect the team that won, he just didnt like losing.

I am sure in time, he may look back on it and feel bad about doing what he did AT THAT TIME, but I dont think for one second that he will regret his choice about not wanting that silver medal.

Colten Teubert said it best on his twitter account last night after watching what Lias did. He tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/tubes33/status/949488642929524736

Nobody wants a silver medal in wjc. Mines tucked away in some memory box in closet haven’t looked at it or touched it since. I couldn’t stop a 2 on 1 to save my life that night in stoon. It still stings and hurts watching highlights.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    haha.. I juuuuuuust posted the same thing... if a mod could merge the two? I posted a link to the MSN article
    Done.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A lot of talk about this on my facebook this morning too. I will share what I posted on one of my friends wall who thought it was a "sore loser move".

Thats the type of guy I want on my team. You cant teach someone how to hate losing like that. That kid wants to win and nothing else. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't disrespect the team that won, he just didnt like losing.

I am sure in time, he may look back on it and feel bad about doing what he did AT THAT TIME, but I dont think for one second that he will regret his choice about not wanting that silver medal.

Colten Teubert said it best on his twitter account last night after watching what Lias did. He tweeted this:

I had the exact same reaction you did. I have no problem with what he did and if I was a Rangers fan I'd be jacked about having this kid on my team.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Administrator

Not a big deal at all. It's an in-the-moment thing that happened to a young hockey player.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    I had the exact same reaction you did. I have no problem with what he did and if I was a Rangers fan I'd be jacked about having this kid on my team.
    Agreed. I really like this kid now. Actually as I think more about it, I LOVE this kid. Hates losing and a 2nd-place medal means nothing. That took guts.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Expert

A quote from http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ands-wjc-loss/

"That guy in the stands wanted it more than me," Andersson said.

The 2017 seventh-overall pick of the New York Rangers went on to explain that he won silver at the under-18 world championship in 2016 and his medal from that tournament just sits in a box and he never looks at it.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

I agree axe. I had a conversation with someone after the game who kept going on and on how it was an unsportsmanlike move. But I like the kid more for doing so, you can tell he really wants to win. Silver is just not good enough for him. I loved it really.

Administrator

So now everyone rushes to acquire this fierce competitor in their fantasy leagues?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't think it's something that needs to become a story, but honestly I consider this to be total garbage. The argument saying "this means he's a fierce competitor!" is also total garbage. If anyone can convince me that this act means Andersson is a better competitor, has more heart, hates losing more, etc than the rest of his teammates who DIDN'T throw their medal, I promise I'll paypal you 10 bucks.

These kids are the elite of the elite. He was the Captain and representing his country on the biggest youth hockey stage there is. The entire point of being a captain is to promote sportsmanship, leadership, and respect. And so you throw your medal into the stands? Ok. Maybe you should just play better and win gold. If not, be proud of what you and your teammates accomplished.

Yes he's young, and that's why he did it so it's not fair to judge his character. But for fans to glorify it or justify it in any way is just wrong. There is no place for this in sports.. His behavior spits on the entire spirit of international competition. International play is completely different than a junior game or SEL game. He's going to regret this so much as he grows up.