Thread: Carey Price - long term outlook

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Carey Price - long term outlook

What are your guys opinions on the play of Carey Price? Montreal's team is obviously very sub-par so a down year was expected by many. But, how much is it Montreal's teams fault and how much has to do with Prices ability? I been reading lots of posters over on another hockey chat forum (don't want to give them free advertising) that think Price is on a steep decline and won't recover and become that #1 goalie in the world ranking he had not long ago.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Carey Price - long term outlook

I'm a Montrealer and one of the few smart Habs fans who think the team shoulda tanked yesterday. The Habs are going nowhere fast and I see a Patrick Roy exit in the books for Carey Price as he will get sick and tired of losing. His value will be lower since he hasn't played well (partially the team's fault) so we'll get pennies on the dollar especially now that he's got a new huge contract and no Stanley Cup winning goalie has ever taken this big of a chunk of the salary cap.

The future isn't good in Montreal, but if Price's owner in your league is willing to sell for cheap Id buy him for the next few years as something major is brewing in MTL and the guy is probably still the best goalie on the planet.

#HABSSHOULDTANK
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    What are your guys opinions on the play of Carey Price? Montreal's team is obviously very sub-par so a down year was expected by many. But, how much is it Montreal's teams fault and how much has to do with Prices ability? I been reading lots of posters over on another hockey chat forum (don't want to give them free advertising) that think Price is on a steep decline and won't recover and become that #1 goalie in the world ranking he had not long ago.
    I dont question Price's ability. That's silly. I question the fact that their D is terrible. They lack a D who can skate the puck out and they pinned in their own end more times than not. Until this team can improve their back end, this team will struggle. That doesn't even get into the issue of their scoring woes. I am simply referring to the issues in their own end and how it may be affecting Carey Price.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont question Price's ability. That's silly. I question the fact that their D is terrible. They lack a D who can skate the puck out and they pinned in their own end more times than not. Until this team can improve their back end, this team will struggle. That doesn't even get into the issue of their scoring woes. I am simply referring to the issues in their own end and how it may be affecting Carey Price.
    Your comment reminded me of a previous thread, so I did some digging and found this comment I made on September 28th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If we look at their 'D', they have Weber who is a top pairing guy, Petry who is a 2nd pairing guy, and Alzner and Schlemko who are fine on your bottom pairing, and then a bunch of guys who should be #7 at best. Maybe Price can make them look better than what they are but I wouldn't expect any team to go very far with such a horrible blueline. I mean, they need two more guys on their top-4 and one of them should be good enough for the top pairing.
    There was one guy in that thread who was certain their 'D' was good enough... That thread is fun to read. http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...e-the-playoffs

(Just to clarify, it wasn't Axeman who liked their 'D'. His comment just reminded me of that discussion.)

Dobber Sports Deity

I have always said this team has Weber and a bunch of 5/6 guys put into 2/3/4 roles. Not good.

Price, and Montreal is in trouble as long as this continues. Just ask the Oilers how hard it is to fill those holes too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

LOL so true.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The problem in Montreal isn't even the players as much as it is the brainlesstrust.

They have 3 guys I'd say are above bottom pairing guys on D (I like Alzner enough as a middle pairing guy), and dealt a young defender who is playing well for a guy who looks like he can be a great wing. And they are playing the wing at center. They have been making poor decisions, and it's going to come back to bite them.

Is Price the #1 fantasy goalie right now? No. Do I think he reclaims that title? No. Do I think he's an elite talent still? Yes.

One of 3 things has to happen:

Team improves
    Price moves on
    Team stays bad with Price

I'm betting on one of the first two, but it may take until a regime change to do the first.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.