Thread: Matt Murray

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Matt Murray

He's a "can't cut" in my Yahoo! league (which is just killing me).

Do I sell low? He's been awful this season and I'm beginning to think Andersen is my keeper G going forward after this season.

Team in signature below.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Matt Murray

I'd sell him to a team where he'd be a keeper goalie option, and look to fill a hole.

The Penguins goaltenders have produced wins in bunches & shutouts in good amounts over the years, but the SV% & GAA has been spotty. I realized I need to move on from Fleury in my dynasty league a few years ago , as the SV% was so variable. Since 08-09 Fleury posted a quality start percentage over 58% once, and 58% is above league average, but below the good threshold of 60%.Murray was above 60% in 15-16, but merely slightly above average last year, and is poor this year.

I think the defense is the issue, whether it's talent, system, whatever. Neither Murray nor Fleury is a Hasek-level guy who can just give you crazy great rate stats while facing a ton of shot attempts. Andersen seems to be more consistently good, and also able to give you a better save percentage.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wouldn't cut him even if he wasnt on that list. He will have value to someone in your league. Make a trade here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I wouldn't cut him even if he wasnt on that list. He will have value to someone in your league. Make a trade here.
    We'll see what I can do. What sort of return should I aim for if I'm looking to fill a hole in my team? Unfortunately, I don't see Murray landing much in the way of a return at this point.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Make a deal... someone in your league has a worse option. Sell him as an elite goalie but the team is running out of steam due to the cup wins.

Someone will drink what you're selling.

Personally, i'd just keep him.

Administrator

I think you have to ride it out for now and make a trade later when deciding which goalie you want to keep. Selling low is unlikely to work well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    We'll see what I can do. What sort of return should I aim for if I'm looking to fill a hole in my team? Unfortunately, I don't see Murray landing much in the way of a return at this point.
    Figure out what position(s) you have the weakest starter at, and look for something there that is a tier above that guy. Or try and upgrade a keeper with him to a team with a terrible keeper goalie option.

Murray is not good enough to be your keeper goalie, so you want to move him for something.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Andersen for me is the better own going forward, should get you close to the same amount of wins and GAA and SVP, but one team is moving in the right direction and the other isn't, and that's coming from an owner of both. I still like Murray though and think you should be picking up Jarry who is playing quite well.
    10 team, H2H, keep 10 + 1 player designated NA, Yahoo league, Daily changes.
    G, A, PPP, SOG, GWG, +-, SHP, PIM, BLK
    GS, W, L, SVPC, GAA, SHO
    C C C RW RW RW LW LW LW D D D D UTIL UTIL (no goalies) GOALIE GOALIE BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH BENCH IR IR NA

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Keep Murray at all cost going forward.

It's important to see long term and not do short sighted moves in a keeper league. He's got Vezina trophy potential. Before September 2017, some people on here were panicking about Andrei Vasilevskiy. Where are those people now?

The Pens have played way more Hockey in the past few years than any other team and it's finally beginning to show. Murray isn't even 23 and he's already got two cups.

Don't trade him. This is a down year for Pittsburgh and they'll be back strong next year.
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...