Thread: Hutchinson and Binnington Impressive in AHL

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Hutchinson and Binnington Impressive in AHL

The Jets Michael Hutchinson has played extremely well with the Manitoba Moose so far this season. He's 14-2-2 with a 1.77 goals-against average (2nd to Jordan Binnington's 1.59) and league leading 0.947 save percentage.

In his first season for the Providence Bruins, Jordan Binnington has exceptional numbers, 9-1-1 with a league leading 1.59 goals-against average and 0.938 save percentage (2nd to Hutchinson).

I picked up Hutchinson in two and Binnington in one of my deeper dynasty leagues where goaltending is desperately critical - even back ups are worth something. I am hoping that Hutchinson will get traded to a team that might take a chance on him to be their back up or at least to push for back up status. He will be UFA at the end of the season, but has no real bargaining power - "oh, you did great in the AHL, that's nice".

I'm not really expecting anything until next season. Mining the AHL for high performing goaltending is how I lucked into Matt Murray.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Hutchinson and Binnington Impressive in AHL

Hutchinson was a better option to back up Hellebuyck than Mason, but they wanted a #1 where Hellebuyck could be the #2. I thin he will get moved, but he needs to take the next step really soon to be a starter in the NHL. He's 27, and hasn't had an above average NHL season yet.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

if the return is minimal then I'd suggest the jets just keep hutch as insurance toward an injury to helley or mason .

I realize they have Comrie too .

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Blues goalie prospects (Binnington and Husso) are really hurt by the fact that the Blues don't have their own AHL team. They're both playing the backup role despite superior numbers. The Blues seem to be higher on Husso than Binnington but that could easily change.

Hutchinson is probably good enough to play backup in the NHL now while Binnington could get there as well. They're already 27 and 24, so I wouldn't expect either one to become starting goalies in the NHL - their track record just isn't impressive enough for that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    if the return is minimal then I'd suggest the jets just keep hutch as insurance toward an injury to helley or mason .

I realize they have Comrie too .
    This is the reason I think they trade Hutchinson. Hutch is playing great and all but he's also hampering Comrie's development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The Blues goalie prospects (Binnington and Husso) are really hurt by the fact that the Blues don't have their own AHL team. They're both playing the backup role despite superior numbers. The Blues seem to be higher on Husso than Binnington but that could easily change.

Hutchinson is probably good enough to play backup in the NHL now while Binnington could get there as well. They're already 27 and 24, so I wouldn't expect either one to become starting goalies in the NHL - their track record just isn't impressive enough for that.
    24 years old and still in the AHL isn't out of the question as far as getting to the NHL as a starter. I am not sure he's good enough to be one, but his age isn't the issue, it's getting the NHL opportunity for more than a game or two that's the issue with Binnington.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    24 years old and still in the AHL isn't out of the question as far as getting to the NHL as a starter. I am not sure he's good enough to be one, but his age isn't the issue, it's getting the NHL opportunity for more than a game or two that's the issue with Binnington.
    His age and being in the AHL are not issues, it's what he did the past few years. If he was going to become a starter, his track record should look much better. I'm going to trust his previous 120 AHL games more than this 11 game stretch. His rookie season in the ECHL and his rookie season in the AHL were good but he was not good for two full years after that.

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree, that's why I said I didn't think he was good enough. His age isn't the issue. A lot of guys don't even start to hit their stride until they get to that 25-27 years of age and Binnington isn't there yet.

Hutchinson has already shown he can play in the NHL but I dont think he's starter material.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree, that's why I said I didn't think he was good enough. His age isn't the issue. A lot of guys don't even start to hit their stride until they get to that 25-27 years of age and Binnington isn't there yet.

Hutchinson has already shown he can play in the NHL but I dont think he's starter material.
    My point about his age was that it's too late to start turning things around at this point. If he was 20 or 21 and posting these numbers, I would be interested. Or if he had 2-3 good AHL seasons under his belt already at age 24. But because he's 24 without those good seasons in the past, I'm not buying it.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    My point about his age was that it's too late to start turning things around at this point. If he was 20 or 21 and posting these numbers, I would be interested. Or if he had 2-3 good AHL seasons under his belt already at age 24. But because he's 24 without those good seasons in the past, I'm not buying it.
    Fair enough. Sometimes the switch can come at any age. It could be a change in training, a change in coaching, or simply a mental change. Who knows what switches these kids on and when it can happen. I guess my point is, I am not ready to completely write these guys off yet, but the opportunities aren't overly great for either guy.

Administrator

The problem is there's 31 backup jobs and like 60 goalies around the same talent level so guys like Hutchinson fall out of the mix all the time. Just look at Domingue, or even Budaj a couple years ago.

I do think Hutchinson will be involved in a minor trade at some point but I doubt the return will be anything significant.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Fair enough. Sometimes the switch can come at any age. It could be a change in training, a change in coaching, or simply a mental change. Who knows what switches these kids on and when it can happen. I guess my point is, I am not ready to completely write these guys off yet, but the opportunities aren't overly great for either guy.
    Exactly. A change can lead to something good, especially for goaltenders. Devan Dubnyk comes to mind when he left Edmonton and when Washington brought in the goalie whisperer to coach Holtby (along with a new head coach and style...).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket