Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 IIFH World Junior Hockey Championship Discussion Thread

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 2018 IIFH World Junior Hockey Championship Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At least they got the amazing play from Cal Foote knocking the puck off the line right.

Oh wait, you weren't cheering for Canada.
    I think that call was made by the video referee, not the on-ice guys. And yes, that was the right call. The first goal never got to video review because the on-ice refs didn't know the rules and the video ref doesn't have the power to overturn their decision.

Dobber Sports Deity

Are you saying the refs didn't use video review to investigate the first goal? I am pretty sure they did.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Are you saying the refs didn't use video review to investigate the first goal? I am pretty sure they did.
    No they didn't. This has been all over the Finnish media today but I guess it hasn't spread there already but here's how it went.
    1) The video ref called the on-ice guy and asked why the goal was allowed
    2) On-ice ref said the puck was shot while the net was in place and would have gone in if the net was in place. But that rule only applies if the defensive team knocks the net off, not if the offensive team does it. So it was a clear mistake from the on-ice refs
    3) Because of that explanation, the video ref is not allowed to review the goal. Video ref knew all along that it wasn't a goal but couldn't do anything about it

They are proposing a rule change for IIHF based on this situation, probably giving more power to the video ref in cases like this.

Dobber Sports Deity

The game is being re-run on TSN this morning in nine minutes. I will watch the first goal again but I am pretty sure they did use video review.

I have never heard of the video reviewer calling the referee on the ice before to talk about a play. The ref calls the video reviewer.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

The game is being re-run on TSN this morning in nine minutes. I will watch the first goal again but I am pretty sure they did use video review.

I have never heard of the video reviewer calling the referee on the ice before to talk about a play. The ref calls the video reviewer.
    Yeah, this was a first for me as well. But that's how it was explained by IIHF to the GM of Team Finland who then shared the information to Finnish media.

Dobber Sports Deity

I just watched the game up to this play and now the penalty has happened. The ref does get have quite a long discussion with someone on the headset (the video reveiwer) and he does watch the video of the goal from on a tablet at the penalty box. I don't know, you could be right because none of us are involved in the discussion on the phone but it appears like it's quite a lengthy discussion. At the end of the day, the goal counted and I doubt you will find many who thinks it was a good goal, knowing what we know (rules wise) and seeing what we see. Tough break for the FINs.

BTW, it's 2-0 for Canada now.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I wasn?t impressed not by Tolvanen and my thoughts are the same as they were a few months ago. Don?t think he has high nhl upside. He?s small and doesn?t have any elite traits for Nhl pro hockey .

By by the way this tournament stinks whenever it?s not hosted in Canada. Nobody sells tickets in other countries

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just watched the game up to this play and now the penalty has happened. The ref does get have quite a long discussion with someone on the headset (the video reveiwer) and he does watch the video of the goal from on a tablet at the penalty box. I don't know, you could be right because none of us are involved in the discussion on the phone but it appears like it's quite a lengthy discussion. At the end of the day, the goal counted and I doubt you will find many who thinks it was a good goal, knowing what we know (rules wise) and seeing what we see. Tough break for the FINs.
    Yeah, based on what IIHF has said, they discussed about the situation but the ref thought he knew the rules and nothing would convince him otherwise. It was never about if the net was off before the puck went in - it was about if the puck would have gone in if the net was in place. But as said, that rule only applies if it's the defending team knocking the net off, not if it's the offensive team. The ref was looking at the wrong thing, and the video ref can't overrule him.

As said, that was the explanation Team Finland got from IIHF, so that's the most reliable information available. We don't know if it's 100% accurate but it's better than any guesses from you or me.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

my prediction:

sweden
    usa
    canada
    finland
    russia

i'm not sure if the brackets will make that finish even possible but that's how i rank them in terms of skill this year.

a lot of teams made questionable cuts. i think in the next few years we'll start seeing GM's selecting talent over being 19 years old.

Dobber Sports Monster

BTW, it's 2-0 for Canada now.
    That's how I recalled it as well. Thought for sure they went upstairs to review it. I know there was a good 3, maybe 4 minute delay when they were looking at the goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    my prediction:

sweden
    usa
    canada
    finland
    russia

i'm not sure if the brackets will make that finish even possible but that's how i rank them in terms of skill this year.

a lot of teams made questionable cuts. i think in the next few years we'll start seeing GM's selecting talent over being 19 years old.
    That is how I have it as well. Nice list.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    my prediction:

sweden
    usa
    canada
    finland
    russia

Talent-wise, I'd probably have:
    Canada
    USA
    Sweden
    Finland
    Russia
    Czechs

But I think the Czechs will finish ahead of Russia - their team is better than usual.

I totally agree with your point about leaving too much talent behind. Finland decided to cut Luostarinen and Turkulainen, and didn't even have Kotkaniemi on the final camp. All three guys would have been on my team. A team like Canada can afford to leave players like that behind but not a team like Finland.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Talent-wise, I'd probably have:
    Canada
    USA
    Sweden
    Finland
    Russia
    Czechs

But I think the Czechs will finish ahead of Russia - their team is better than usual.

I totally agree with your point about leaving too much talent behind. Finland decided to cut Luostarinen and Turkulainen, and didn't even have Kotkaniemi on the final camp. All three guys would have been on my team. A team like Canada can afford to leave players like that behind but not a team like Finland.
    If Canada can win games using their D/G then they can win gold. I just don't like them trading offensive chances (which happens quite often in this rookie tourney) as their forward group isn't as good as SWE/USA.

You're probably right about the Czechs, I'm just giving Russia the benefit of the doubt.

Many teams want actual bottom 6ers in their bottom 6. So it's no suprise when you see a talented scorer being cut when he doesn't make the top 6 for his respective team.

Dobber Sports Deity

Russia is one of those weird teams that come out of the gate slow and still end up in the semi's somehow.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm now watching the Switzerland-Belarus game. It would be nice if they had more interesting games today but what else am I going to do during the Christmas holiday?

At least Switzerland has Nando Eggenberger, Philipp Kurashev, Tobias Geisser, Nico Gross and Valentin Nussbaumer as interesting players to watch. Maxim Sushko is the only Belarus player of interest.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'm now watching the Switzerland-Belarus game. It would be nice if they had more interesting games today but what else am I going to do during the Christmas holiday?

At least Switzerland has Nando Eggenberger, Philipp Kurashev, Tobias Geisser, Nico Gross and Valentin Nussbaumer as interesting players to watch. Maxim Sushko is the only Belarus player of interest.
    I just turned the game on only because there's nothing else on while I cook supper and wait for the wife to get home.