View Poll Results: Which player(s) will not ever reach his/their "Never Again?" Total?

Voters
35. This poll is closed
  • Sidney Crosby (Never Again 90+ points?)

7 20.00%
  • Nicklas Backstrom (Never Again 80+ points?)

8 22.86%
  • Jamie Benn (Never Again 80+ points?)

9 25.71%
  • Cam Atkinson (Never Again 60+ points?)

12 34.29%
  • Matt Duchene (Never Again 60+ points?)

15 42.86%
  • Tyler Johnson (Never Again 60+ points?)

8 22.86%
  • Ryan O'Reilly (Never Again 60+ points?)

7 20.00%
  • Max Pacioretty (Never Again 60+ points?)

2 5.71%
  • Ondrej Palat (Never Again 60+ points?)

13 37.14%
  • Jonathan Toews (Never Again 60+ points?)

9 25.71%
  • Derick Brassard (Never Again 50+ points)

7 20.00%
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Never Again 50+ points?)

2 5.71%
  • Nick Foligno (Never Again 50+ points?)

21 60.00%
  • Kyle Okposo (Never Again 50+ points?)

18 51.43%
  • Justin Faulk (Never Again 40+ points?)

5 14.29%
  • Justin Schultz (Never Again 40+ points?)

6 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #3 - "Never Again" Totals - VOTE HERE!

The Great One

Default CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #3 - "Never Again" Totals - VOTE HERE!

All good things must come to an end, and this week marks our third and final installment of the Winter Cage Match Tournament series. This week we shift gears from wondering whether players who are performing much better than was expect are in fact achieving their "new normal", to deciding the same question about skaters who are underachieving versus predictions.

As you can see above, each player has been put in a "Never Again?" points category, and the way you decide your vote will be based on whether you think that skater will produce at or above his "Never Again?" number in 2017-18 or ever again. If you believe he'll rebound and hit that "Never Again?" threshold this season, next season, or any season down the road, then do not vote for him. If, instead, you think the best he will do this season and in the future will be less than that his "Never Again?" number, then he should get your vote.

As with the previous other tournaments, you can vote for multiple players, so cast your votes for as many (or as few) players you think will never again hit their "Never Again?" number. Be sure to also post a comment explaining who you voted for and why, since the goal with these tournaments is to have a fun time but also to provide fantasy insight.

Note that if you're surprised that some players made the list and other didn't, as will be explained in the full column on Wednesday I decided not to include any players over age 30. I figured a decline from them is less of a surprise as it might be from these 16 choices, each of whom is 30 or younger. I also tried to include players who are on rosters or radars in most leagues, which is why some arguably deserving players (cough cough.....Bobby Ryan, Ryan Strome......cough cough) didn't make the cut either.

Lastly, one quick scheduling note - there will be no cage match next week as I work on my content for the Midseason Guide. But be sure to check back on January 10th for a return to the normal cage match format. If you have any suggestions for some matches you?d like me to cover once I resume with the normal column, you should also feel free to make a recommendation in a post here as well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #3 - "Never Again" Totals - VOTE HERE!

I went with the higher-end guys (Crosby, Backstrom, Benn) since it's very difficult in today's NHL to reach those numbers. Also Okposo because I think injuries have slowed him. Otherwise the rest of the players have at least an outside chance at hitting those point totals again.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Jedi

Duchene only for me... Never count Sid out... I don't think I would have chosen him if this said never again 100+pts
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont count any of them out to hit their previous numbers. To say "never" is too harsh a word for me to bite on. If they have done it once, there's nothing to say they won't do it again at some point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont count any of them out to hit their previous numbers. To say "never" is too harsh a word for me to bite on. If they have done it once, there's nothing to say they won't do it again at some point.
    I understand this logic and the whole never say never mentality, but technically everyone has a never again number. It's just a question of when or how high.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

When they retire Ill say never.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I voted for Backstrom, O'Reilly, Okposo, Atkinson.

Atkinson is "barely did this once with a perfect storm of situation", so that's an easy one for me.
    Okposo I think is done as a major scorer, he's under 30, but barely.
    O'Reilly needs to get back to being a #1 center to get there, I think. I don't see any teams where he might be that, other than Montreal, Ottawa or maybe Vegas. Probably missing one or two, though.

Backstrom's was the one I vote for that I think has the best chance, because the Caps could get really hot. However, he needs to keep #1C & #1 PP duties, and that may be a tall order. Unlike O'Reilly, he could go to a number of other teams and have that usage.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Brassard, Foligno and Okposo
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Jeez, could you be any more of a party pooper?

Backstrom, Benn, Duchene, Atkinson, Palat stood out for me

Dobber Sports Monster

As much of your guys' favorite singer famously said "Never say never". I think most have the ability to do so, if you twisted my arm and made me select some that won't reach those totals, it would be Foligno, Okposo, Duchene.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Jeez, could you be any more of a party pooper?

Backstrom, Benn, Duchene, Atkinson, Palat stood out for me
    LOL! Sorry blayze.

Call me the optimist I guess.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm close to Axe on this one... but I still took Duchene.. if Duchene wants to prove me wrong, I think he should call Dustin Brown.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I'm glad to see all the votes, and how close the voting totals are. There's still plenty of time to cast ballots, plus add comments with your views on why you did or didn't vote for certain players.

And I'd still be interested to hear cage matches you'd like to see in 2018, so please chime in with ideas.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

The only one that truly stood out for me was Foligno hitting 50 points again.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Deity

You need to put a "none of the above" option.