Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carter Hart

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Carter Hart

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I can see that point. My take was more about 18 year old in juniors versus AHL starter nearly ready sort of decision making. You don;t know number of years, but it's rare somebody just comes up at 20 or younger and does anything. However if they do, they are likely a really really good goalie.
    If your goaltending sucks and you’ve got Hart in the minors... would you not trade him for Schneider or quick or Allen given the chance? There’s something to be said for drafting and holding a prospect until they blossom, but at the same time, there’s something to be said for using prospects as currency to get you a higher end proven player and keeping you competitive annually.

Option 1- keep Hart and wait 3-5 years, with poor goaltending
    option 2 - trade Hart for a tier 2 goalie - fix goaltending immediately and improve competitive odds during that 3-5 year wait in option 1.
    option 3... same as option 2... but draft another Hart type goalie.... rinse repeat in 2-3 years
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I can see that point. My take was more about 18 year old in juniors versus AHL starter nearly ready sort of decision making. You don;t know number of years, but it's rare somebody just comes up at 20 or younger and does anything. However if they do, they are likely a really really good goalie.
    Certainly but I don't really see anyone being stupid enough to trade a Demko for a guy like Hart. And besides Demko, is there anyone close to ready with upside like that? I don't see it.

So yes, it would be great if you could get a guy like Demko who is much closer to the NHL but that's just not realistic. If you acquire a prospect who is closer to the NHL, you're likely getting a lesser player who doesn't become more than a backup or a 1A/1B goalie at best. In that case, I'd rather just keep the young prospect who has much more upside. But again, I'd much rather acquire a proven starter who is "too old" for someone. That is usually a realistic thing to do in dynasty leagues at least, perhaps not in partial keeper leagues.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Im expecting hart to blow past all of them. As soon as he shows ready, he?ll get a shot
    I may be drinking too much of the WJC Team Canada kool aid, but I basically agree with this. Stolarz has had his chances already and not done much. I don't know too much about Sandstrom, but any article about Team Canada you see these days is christening Hart as the next Carey Price. Maybe philly is entering a situation like Anaheim's a few years ago, where Hiller and Fasth were the de facto starters but everyone was just counting the days until Andersen and Gibson took over.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Also - I agree that Demko is closer to being a #1 goalie but I see the canucks being pretty bad for the foreseeable future. If your league counts only wins and shutouts, like mine does, the number 1 goalie on a terrible team isn't that valuable. On the other hand, I believe Philly will have one of the best defences in the NHL in a couple years and with a bit of luck at forward could easily be a cup contender. I'd rather go for the next Vasilevskiy than the next Varlamov.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkys_Choice View Post
    Also - I agree that Demko is closer to being a #1 goalie but I see the canucks being pretty bad for the foreseeable future. If your league counts only wins and shutouts, like mine does, the number 1 goalie on a terrible team isn't that valuable. On the other hand, I believe Philly will have one of the best defences in the NHL in a couple years and with a bit of luck at forward could easily be a cup contender. I'd rather go for the next Vasilevskiy than the next Varlamov.
    I agree. I think it actually gets worse for Vancouver b4 it gets better.

Dobber Sports Expert

I may be drinking too much of the WJC Team Canada kool aid, but I basically agree with this. Stolarz has had his chances already and not done much. I don't know too much about Sandstrom, but any article about Team Canada you see these days is christening Hart as the next Carey Price. Maybe philly is entering a situation like Anaheim's a few years ago, where Hiller and Fasth were the de facto starters but everyone was just counting the days until Andersen and Gibson took over.
    Stolarz was actually very solid in his brief cup of tea last year.
    Really like Sandstrom.
    Hart I have to admit has really stepped up late last season and this one. Though at his age it should be expected.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The Flyers are set up to have a ridiculous defense at this point. Gostisbehere - Provorov - Hagg- Sanheim - Morin - Gudas looks very solid, and I expect that or something very close to it as soon as 2018/19. Saly MacDonald will still be around getting paid, most likely.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.