View Poll Results: Which age 25+ player(s) can sustain his/their current scoring pace?

Voters
30. This poll is closed
  • Josh Bailey (80+ points pace)

5 16.67%
  • Sean Couturier (80+ points pace)

1 3.33%
  • Anders Lee (80+ points pace)

3 10.00%
  • Jonathan Marchessault (80+ points pace)

7 23.33%
  • Brayden Schenn (80+ points pace)

17 56.67%
  • Jaden Schwartz (80+ points pace)

3 10.00%
  • Evander Kane (70+ points pace)

6 20.00%
  • Gabriel Landeskog (70+ points pace)

13 43.33%
  • Vladislav Namestnikov (70+ points pace)

7 23.33%
  • Mathieu Perreault (70+ points pace)

5 16.67%
  • David Perron (70+ points pace)

0 0%
  • Mats Zuccarello (70+ points pace)

9 30.00%
  • Erik Haula (60+ points pace)

3 10.00%
  • Nick Leddy (60+ points pace)

7 23.33%
  • Jason Zucker (60+ points pace)

13 43.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "New Normal" (Age 25+) - VOTE HERE

The Great One

Default CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "New Normal" (Age 25+) - VOTE HERE

It's week two of the winter cage match tournaments, and as promised we're shifting from last week's focus on the sustainability of youngsters breaking out, to this week on those age 25+. I'd argue the stakes are even higher this week, since true breakouts for age 25+ players are more rare; however, those that are for real could yield even higher dividends.

What exactly are you voting on? Like last week you're deciding which of these players are most likely to maintain their designated scoring pace not just for the remainder of 2017-18 but also for at least the next few seasons to come - essentially, the players for whom their designated scoring pace is their "new normal".

The rules and exclusions are similar to last week (here's a link to that column - http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...-under-age-25/), but in short, there are no goalies and no forwards who've scored 75+ points in a prior season or d-men who'd posted 50+ at least once previously. As for voting, in the poll, you'll once again see a player and a "scoring pace" after his name. If you think a player will maintain at least that scoring pace for the rest of 2017-18 and the next few seasons (i.e., this will be his "new normal") then you should vote for him. You can vote for multiple players, so whomever you think will indeed maintain or improve upon his listed scoring pace, he/they should get your vote.

One other key - this is about scoring pace, not actual points. So although Schwartz is injured, he should still get your vote if, in the games he does play, he scores at an 80 points pace. The same would apply for any other player who gets injured along the way this season or in future seasons. The scoring pace is key, not the actual points.

Be sure to also post a comment here in the thread about who you voted for (or didn't vote for) and why, since the goal is for these tournaments to be as useful for fantasy insight as they are fun to participate in.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: CAGE MATCH TOURNAMENT #2 - "New Normal" (Age 25+) - VOTE HERE

bailey, schenn, leddy for me as the only three that can sustain their current pace
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If Perreault wasn't buried so far in the Jet's lineup and bumped back up with wheeler and Schiefle he'd hit his mark for sure.
    10 team H2H points league (keep 4) - G, A, P, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GA, SV, SHO
    C - Draisatl (c/w), Seguin (c/w), Aho, Couturier, Backstrom, Lindholm (c/w), Monahan
    W - P Kane, Hall, Wilson, E Kane, Dvorak, Lee
    D - Burns, McCavoy, Chabot, Werenski, Dahlin
    G - Vanacek, Merzlikins

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fraser94 View Post
    If Perreault wasn't buried so far in the Jet's lineup and bumped back up with wheeler and Schiefle he'd hit his mark for sure.
    He still might - I say in the column that I see in him a lot of what I see in Brayden Point. They both excel wherever they play and on whichever line, finding a way to make their team given them a larger role despite other players who have bigger contracts or longer track records of success.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    He still might - I say in the column that I see in him a lot of what I see in Brayden Point. They both excel wherever they play and on whichever line, finding a way to make their team given them a larger role despite other players who have bigger contracts or longer track records of success.
    For sure, I definitely still think he's a great player. I just feel like if he had a chance to play on the top line again like he did when Connor was out, he'd be raking points like crazy !
    10 team H2H points league (keep 4) - G, A, P, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GA, SV, SHO
    C - Draisatl (c/w), Seguin (c/w), Aho, Couturier, Backstrom, Lindholm (c/w), Monahan
    G - Vanacek, Merzlikins

Dobber Sports All-Star

I honestly don't think any of these players will keep up with their current pace.

That said some will end the season closer than others. I was about to name a few, but find I can't really narrow it down. lol. Ok here goes.

I think Schenn likely finishes in the 70's this season and E. Kane finishes in the 60's (contract year), but not sure about most of the others. Haula and Zucker will likely approach 60 (a more reasonable number to guesstimate than all the 80 point pace players). Bailey, Couturier and Namestnikov are all line dependent and though I think they all fall off from their current pace, could finish close to it if they continue with their plumb assignments for most of the season. I think the rest will fall off their current pace more precipitously. My two bits.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Monster

Schenn, Schwratz and maybe Leddy.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I honestly don't think any of these players will keep up with their current pace.

That said some will end the season closer than others. I was about to name a few, but find I can't really narrow it down. lol. Ok here goes.

I think Schenn likely finishes in the 70's this season and E. Kane finishes in the 60's (contract year), but not sure about most of the others. Haula and Zucker will likely approach 60 (a more reasonable number to guesstimate than all the 80 point pace players). Bailey, Couturier and Namestnikov are all line dependent and though I think they all fall off from their current pace, could finish close to it if they continue with their plumb assignments for most of the season. I think the rest will fall off their current pace more precipitously. My two bits.
    aren't you the optimist today

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post

aren't you the optimist today
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

I had a tough time picking any of them. Bailey is a 70 point guy, same with Couturier and Schenn. Just about everyone here I like for the plateau about 10 below where they are now.

I ended up picking Lee and Kane, because Lee can score 45, and then filling in 35 assists shouldn't be too difficult, and because Kane is a 70 point guy if he's healthy (pace wise it's right).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I had a tough time picking any of them. Bailey is a 70 point guy, same with Couturier and Schenn. Just about everyone here I like for the plateau about 10 below where they are now.

I ended up picking Lee and Kane, because Lee can score 45, and then filling in 35 assists shouldn't be too difficult, and because Kane is a 70 point guy if he's healthy (pace wise it's right).
    It's funny - when I was writing the column, I pictured all the guys I'd vote for, and this was even when seeing how some has unsustainable luck metrics. Then I went to actually click names for the poll and only three guys ended up getting my vote (Perreault, who I really see as an older Brayden Point who just does it all, Landeskog, who can benefit from MacKinnon's rise plus was much better than his numbers made him seem over the past few years, and Zucker, who I see as a potential Brad Marchand 2.0, albeit maybe not quite to Marchand's level). I guess what this means is there's a lot of sell high guys on this list.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    It's funny - when I was writing the column, I pictured all the guys I'd vote for, and this was even when seeing how some has unsustainable luck metrics. Then I went to actually click names for the poll and only three guys ended up getting my vote (Perreault, who I really see as an older Brayden Point who just does it all, Landeskog, who can benefit from MacKinnon's rise plus was much better than his numbers made him seem over the past few years, and Zucker, who I see as a potential Brad Marchand 2.0, albeit maybe not quite to Marchand's level). I guess what this means is there's a lot of sell high guys on this list.
    I can definitely get behind your main point there. My biggest problem with Perrault is staying healthy to keep a scoring spot in the lineup.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I'm curious to see the results of this bad boy.. there's a few guys on that list in my free agency that I've been debating picking up. this could answer my question !
    G - Vanacek, Merzlikins

Dobber Sports Padawan

Schenn 80 pts
    Landeskog 70 pts
    Zucker 60 pts

I had a tough time with this one, maybe because these players are older and it's harder to perceive a "new normal" for them. Having said that, I managed to pick one from each cluster.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some of these guys, I would've been on if the pace listed was 5 or 10 points lower, but I think the pace is just a little too high.

I went with Marchessault, Schenn, & Zucker.

Marchessault because this season is literally a new normal, playing in Vegas. I think he'll get top line & top power play usage for the rest of this year and next.
    Schenn also has a new normal of centering a top line, and one with Tarasenko on it.
    Zucker I think can get to 60, as that's not a huge number of points.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fraser94 View Post
    I'm curious to see the results of this bad boy.. there's a few guys on that list in my free agency that I've been debating picking up. this could answer my question !
    This is exactly what I like to hear, since although a large part of the goal of these tournaments is to have fun, another is to provide viewpoints that can give insight to readers.