Thread: Manager death... what to do?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Manager death... what to do?

Hey everyone,

Our hockey league is in its 12th year and unfortunately we had a manager pass away last week. All 12 of us are friends, with 8 of the 12 in our league being originals including him.

I'm just wondering on any suggestions for the short term and long term on how to manage his team and move forward with it. I'm reaching out to see if this has happened to anyone in a league and how they went about it and handled it for the rest of the season and beyond.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Manager death... what to do?

My condolences on losing your friend. Going from easiest to hardest. Next season and byeond you need a replacement owner, and finding one shouldn't be too hard. Don't sweat this.

Dealing with the remainder of this season is the challenge.

Finding a replacement owner works, and they may be even willing to stay in the league, but the dynamic changes. I'm sure someone out here could help you out as an interim if you want that. If you need another friend to take over, that may be tough, but you might find one.

If you don't want an interim, and/or want someone you know, but can't find anyone, you can freeze the roster, but if it's a head to head league or one where you have daily/weekly lineups that's a poor solution, as it means the team isn't remotely competitive.

However, if you have weekly starts, you can freeze the roster, and "automate" lineup selection by establishing rules which the team will pick starters - that won't be too bad. Fantasy points per game over a time period is a pretty easy one to apply, as you alter lineup when the best players by a criteria change. However, this doesn't handle injuries, etc, so you need rules to cover injured/suspended players as well. Easiest thing to do is if a player is suspended or on IR at time of roster selection, they get skipped over. Day-to-day injuries are rough for this sort of thing, and you need to pick whether to skip for those or not. I'd lean towards leaving those guys in the lineup, since it can be hard to get reliable info, and it's a gray area if the commish starts making decisions on who to start based on news, not an actual status.

In a daily start league I think you really need to go with a replacement owner.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Sorry for your loss. While I haven't had something that unfortunate happen, I've been in plenty of situations where we've lost a GM mid-season. I think two of the easiest solutions are: (1) place an ad for sometime to take over the team ASAP; or (2) put a freeze on his team and then deal with finding a new owner in the off-season.

It's difficult to say without knowing more about your league. For example, if it's H2H, it's much harder to continue without an immediate replacement. If it's an accumulation of points, i's much easier.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure if your friend had a passion for fantasy sports that he would want you guys to continue on without him. If you decide to do that, then you simply need find to a replacement manager to take over his team. What kind of league is it? Yahoo, etc? What format?

I'm sure if you post his team and ask for help, someone here would be willing to pick up that vacant team.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the input everyone. It is yahoo head to head league so we're thinking of inserting his best players into his lineup ... he has guys like Marchand, Barkov and Lucic on the bench at the moment... and only editing it if there are major injuries.

Disregard my very outdated signature.
    12 team, 5 player Keeper League

Forward Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PP, SHP, GWG, SOG

Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SV%, SVS, SO

5 Keepers: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Perry, Varlamov, Halak

The Great One

If you have access to his team, yahoo has the option to insert players who are playing. You could agree as a league that you'll just hit that button so his team is always rostered. You could also agree to add best FA available if there are injuries. As long as there are pre-set rules it will be ok. But putting up an ad for someone else to take over his team is a far better solution. You'll have to do that eventually anyways. You need an even number to keep the h2h thing. And again, my condolences. A very sad story.

Dobber Sports Ace

if theres a pot this year, maybe donate it to his family or kids if he has them?

Gotta find a new manager for his team I think,
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmaster4vr View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. It is yahoo head to head league so we're thinking of inserting his best players into his lineup ... he has guys like Marchand, Barkov and Lucic on the bench at the moment... and only editing it if there are major injuries.

Disregard my very outdated signature.
    Honour him by setting his lineup daily rest of season, then find a replacement the following year. Sorry for the loss, gotta be tough for everyone
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

Am sorry to hear about your friend. If I were commissioning a league where a manger passed, I would keep inserting players into their lineup before I found a manager to replace the team.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Honour him by setting his lineup daily rest of season, then find a replacement the following year. Sorry for the loss, gotta be tough for everyone
    This is what I was going to recommend as well.

My condolences for your loss.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

sorry for your loss .

I agree with the advice given . Search for a new gm but in the meantime sit down a few times a week and do the active/bench , plug in free agents for IR openings etc...