Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you thought about writing a book?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Have any of you thought about writing a book?

I recently took a creative writing course and one of our assignments was to write a short story. I wrote one (roughly 1000 words) and had a lot of fun with it. Building a character from scratch and formulating a story to your liking was very appealing to me. I love writing and plan on slowly chipping away and coming up with a fictional novel about this story. The story is of a young Russian born kid who moves to New York City to seek a better life. Just something I thought was pretty interesting.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Have any of you thought about writing a book?

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I recently took a creative writing course and one of our assignments was to write a short story. I wrote one (roughly 1000 words) and had a lot of fun with it. Building a character from scratch and formulating a story to your liking was very appealing to me. I love writing and plan on slowly chipping away and coming up with a fictional novel about this story. The story is of a young Russian born kid who moves to New York City to seek a better life. Just something I thought was pretty interesting.
    I am in the middle of one currently. About 15 000 words in.. - have two others that are around 20k each.. I keep flip-flopping between them. The one i'm writing currently is about three teenage boys who get involved in a series of break & enters over the summer that begins to spiral out of control. I've wanted to take a creative writing course for the longest time.. I've really just used free lessons online... I've dabbled with writing.com & fanstory.com as well -- both decent writing sites. Writing.com offers an opportunity for much more in depth feedback if you're an active contributor on there.

The great thing about writing is that it is yours until you decide to share it. As Stephen King said... draft one is for me, closed doors. draft two the door is opened. -- basically meaning, write whatever the f--- you want. Edit it to something salvable for others to read on draft 2.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I am in the middle of one currently. About 15 000 words in.. - have two others that are around 20k each.. I keep flip-flopping between them. The one i'm writing currently is about three teenage boys who get involved in a series of break & enters over the summer that begins to spiral out of control. I've wanted to take a creative writing course for the longest time.. I've really just used free lessons online... I've dabbled with writing.com & fanstory.com as well -- both decent writing sites. Writing.com offers an opportunity for much more in depth feedback if you're an active contributor on there.

The great thing about writing is that it is yours until you decide to share it. As Stephen King said... draft one is for me, closed doors. draft two the door is opened. -- basically meaning, write whatever the f--- you want. Edit it to something salvable for others to read on draft 2.
    Thanks for your input. I am taking another University level course this next semester. I took a creative writing class and got a B+. The prof said if I didn't miss so many classes my mark would be higher. Am going to put out a layout of the story and go from there.

I have an uncle who wrote a 55,000 word novel .. man that's a lot of words man. I'm going to have to step my english game up. I imagine this will take awhile. Good to see another poster that's into writing on these forums.

Dobber Sports Master

I dare you to continue on with the storyline having the kid fall in love with playing chess instead of hockey .

Dobber Sports Deity

I've pretty much written one on these forums. LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

I am currently about 275 pages into my book. I double-majored in English and History and figured its time to really put my education to work. I was a newspaper reporter and magazine editor for many years, but there is a ceiling in that line of work. I am looking to score a hit that can allow me to be a full-time author someday, thats the goal anyway.

The one-sentence Hollywood pitch summary is: The story of a medieval secret agent operating in the Holy Land during the Crusades.

I spend less time here than I would like because the book does not write itself. And it takes about 3 hours of research to generate one hour of writing. So anyone who decides to take on the challenge needs to understand that this endeavor will take over your life if you are doing it right.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I am currently about 275 pages into my book. I double-majored in English and History and figured its time to really put my education to work. I was a newspaper reporter and magazine editor for many years, but there is a ceiling in that line of work. I am looking to score a hit that can allow me to be a full-time author someday, thats the goal anyway.

The one-sentence Hollywood pitch summary is: The story of a medieval secret agent operating in the Holy Land during the Crusades.

I spend less time here than I would like because the book does not write itself. And it takes about 3 hours of research to generate one hour of writing. So anyone who decides to take on the challenge needs to understand that this endeavor will take over your life if you are doing it right.
    yeah, once you dive into history - accuracy becomes a big thing. Mine... not so much, I can run off a few thousand words without looking anything up and just create the story, scene to scene from my mind. The setting could be any small country town

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The reason I wanted to improve on my writing was because I kept seeing posters get writers jobs and seeing how articulate they write and how well they portrayed themselves through their writing. It made me want to stop writing like a caveman. My English prof asked me "You do any outside writing courses since the last time you were in school? I said "No, the only writing I do is on a hockey chat forum when I'm talking with other hockey fans". lol

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I dare you to continue on with the story-line having the kid fall in love with playing chess instead of hockey .
    I have to admit, that would be one dam good story-line. Having the character do a prison term in the middle of his sentence might be cool too. He could play chess in prison lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post

I had no idea there were so many skilled writers here. It drives me to try a bit harder in my classes.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have to admit, that would be one dam good story-line. Having the character do a prison term in the middle of his sentence might be cool too. He could play chess in prison lol.

I had no idea there were so many skilled writers here. It drives me to try a bit harder in my classes.
    you should look at a journalism course as well.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Post made me chuckle - lots of good advice " The Book of Axe"
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

you should look at a journalism course as well.
    I'll see if there is any journalism courses here but this is a very small campus so I kind of doubt it lol. The campus in Kamloops is huge, my brother went there and said there was something like 20,000 students enrolled.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'll see if there is any journalism courses here but this is a very small campus so I kind of doubt it lol. The campus in Kamloops is huge, my brother went there and said there was something like 20,000 students enrolled.
    online courses -- opens up lots of options

Dobber Sports Monster

online courses -- opens up lots of options
    I didn't even think of that. Never took one before. Another classmate was telling me the online courses are harder but I don't find writing too hard so it should be ok.

Administrator

This year I got out of writing but I do have interest in writing about team-building strategies which differs from the "who's hot/cold this week" and "Player A vs Player B" themes which tend to dominate in fantasy hockey article land. It could eventually become an e-book of sorts. At this point it's a project on the shelf though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust