Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TSN's top 25 of all time to celebrate NHL's 100th season

The Great One

Default Re: TSN's top 25 of all time to celebrate NHL's 100th season

I think comparing players from different eras is a bit silly. It's not comparable.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    While I agree with you that Ovechkin is one of the greatest goal scorers, it's hard to say he's the greatest though. I guess it's a personal opinion for you probably because you grew up in a different era then someone like myself who's a bit older.

For me Brett Hull is the greatest goal scorer of all time with both Ovechkin and Phil Esposito right there with him. I can appreciate you are too young to remember Esposito and in all fairness, I was just a young pup myself when he was in his heyday years of pumping out 60+ goals in a season. My dad was a big Leafs fan and he hated Espo because he scored so many goals against the Leafs but he would always say that Espo was one of the best goal scorers he's ever seen too.

Hull was just incredible. I know, he played in the 80s when goals came early and often, but to me he was the purest goal scorer. Man, that release was awesome.
    I think you are assuming I never watched any hockey from other eras and only from the mid-200's onward, which is untrue. I started watching hockey in the mid 90's. When I would visit my dad there would be two television channels but mostly we would watch random recorded games throughout the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. All I ever do is watch hockey, research hockey, seek out others opinions on these topics as well to help get a better understanding of the game. Not saying I'm the be all end all when it comes to hockey analysis (I consider you, Eric, The Comish, rataylor to be the big 4 in terms of understanding the game, and fantasy hockey knowledge around here...leaps and bounds ahead of me I might add, which is why i always seek you guys out when I am in dire need of help) but when I watch video of players in the 70's-90;s to Alex Ovechkin, there is a huge difference in speed and skill. I know equipment has advanced quite a bit throughout the years so we have to factor that in as well.

But I think one aspect that many people don't consider is when players like Bobby Orr were dominating the game that their peers were way behind them in terms of skill and knowledge at the game during that time. Now a days there is a higher 'floor' and not such a huge gap from top and bottom of the league. The game is forever evolving and growing.

I'm 29 years old to confirm, I don't think I'm that far behind you in age really.

Dobber Sports Deity

You're 20 years younger than me LOL.

And you're right. I assumed you didn't see much hockey from the 80s, let alone remember any of it. I was 99% sure you didn't get to actually watch Bobby Orr play at that time or Phil Esposito on the 70s. I did and they were amazing but even I dont remember much from those days.

My apologies for being presumptuous but I am pretty sure, even though you say you study a lot about hockey, and watched some of the games from those days, its different than living in those days.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You're 20 years younger than me LOL.

And you're right. I assumed you didn't see much hockey from the 80s, let alone remember any of it. I was 99% sure you didn't get to actually watch Bobby Orr play at that time or Phil Esposito on the 70s. I did and they were amazing but even I dont remember much from those days.

My apologies for being presumptuous but I am pretty sure, even though you say you study a lot about hockey, and watched some of the games from those days, its different than living in those days.
    I kept thinking you were about the same age as me, maybe 35 at the most lol. But I think you may be right when it comes to it being different than living in those days, I'll give you that.

Dobber Sports Sage

My first thought when looking at the list was Jagr doesn't get the credit he probably should.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I kept thinking you were about the same age as me, maybe 35 at the most lol. But I think you may be right when it comes to it being different than living in those days, I'll give you that.
    I wish I was still in my 20s LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ovechkin should absolutely be there. He's currently sitting at 20th in goals all time. He should be 18th by the time the season is over. Even if he only plays three more seasons after this one, and only scores 30 goals in each of them, he'll finish 8th all time ahead of names like Messier, Yzerman, Lemieux, Selanne and Robitaille. If you look at goals per game, it becomes even more obvious. He's 6th all time currently... but that also leads me to wonder why Mike Bossy was left off the list at an incredible 0.762 goals per game -- even in a high-scoring era, that's nuts.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak