Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never trading Ovechkin in a SOG/Hits League!

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Never trading Ovechkin in a SOG/Hits League!

Ok never say never but I have been shopping him for fair value for two years now, for a younger less established forward or a top end goalie. Everyone has been low balling me. I have come to the conclusion that because of his age people do not value him properly. Points only are one thing but in a league that counts SOG/HITs even with expected regression he should be a universal keeper for 3 to 5 years.

Think about it he?s at PPG this year with a good chance to hit 50 goals again. That is pretty well best in a the league fantasy value in SOG/HITs leagues. Now let?s say next year he drops back down to 65 to 70 points and 35 to 40 goals with SOGs/HITs he?s still top 10 at those stats. Then let?s say two season from now he regresses further to a 60-65 points player and 30 to 35 goals, again he would still be a top 20 player. Then finally let?s say 3 seasons from now he?s a 50 to 55 point player with 25 to 30 goals, he would still in these leagues be a top 50 player.

Sorry for the rant but at his age in my leagues at least you will never get a fair return for him. I am going to keep him until he jets to Russia or retires.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Never trading Ovechkin in a SOG/Hits League!

Sometimes, it's the deals we don't make that win our leagues for us!

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Yup you would have been able to trade him for value up until the age of 29 years and 364 days.... but once players turn that magical age 30... there value disappears.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Going to have to wait for a team that gets a star injured and they are in the running for $ or championship. If not just ride him into the sunset and take your 3-5 Year’s of production. I️.m probably going to do this.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Magnificent One

Yup you won't get the value you deserve just gotta hang in there until you get a deal you like.

During the NHL playoffs last season I choose to blow up my team in my sig and go for a rebuild. I ended up in a handful of talks for OV but only one worked out. I traded OV for tkachkuk, aberg, 1st rounder 2018 NHL draft class. We have 18 teams do still a decent pick

Probably should have gotten more but hopefully it was good enough.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Administrator

Most of the time you're better off sticking with your aging stars. Usually you either end up settling for a bad deal because everyone freaks out when players hit 30. It's been happening on this forum, stuff about him being stationary, not moving as quickly, etc. The results are still there though. Maybe he just has a special ability to get shit done? lol

Just be glad you didn't get sucked into the idea that you must deal him though. Your team is better off this way.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Mr Daoust hits the nail on the head. Lidstrom was as productive in his late 30s as he was in his mid 20s. With aging stars, you are almost always better off riding them into the ground, as every other GM will be irrationally worried that the player will "fall off". It does happen, and it might happen... but once you risk-handicap it you're pretty much better off just riding them until they collapse.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks Guys. Frustrating in a sense but I am starting think maybe I should be targeting aging stars from people who are worried about the fall off.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Thanks Guys. Frustrating in a sense but I am starting think maybe I should be targeting aging stars from people who are worried about the fall off.
    Buy low, sell high

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I've won a lot of leagues this way, even going back to that Lidstrom comment!

It takes guts to sell the Marners, Kellers, and McDavids of the world (everybody always wants to build a perpetual winning dynasty) but the reality is that we all underrate the uncertainty of the future, and you're almost always better off locking in the immediate win. Prize money makes it an awful lot easier to look past that future perpetual dynasty that never comes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I drafted Ovechkin 3rd overall this year in a league that counts hits and sog and took a lot of flack for it. People were laughing and ridiculing me - who wants to take the guy who looks like he's lost a step, who's on the decline..blah blah.

I responded by telling those people that I would have taken him first overall, and that he's going to come back hungrier than ever.

With a guy like Ovechkin you ride these guys into the ground as some have said. I'm keeping him in my keep-1 league until he literally is shit for an entire year.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Deity

If you don't feel you are getting fair market value, just keep him. Sometimes t's just as easy to enjoy the ride even though we want to get younger. Some guys are just worth riding and Ovechkin is definitely one of them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

this is the second time people thought Ovie was done with 50+goal seasons.. he was like 27 or 28 the last time he dipped into the 30's in a season. He could be giving 50 goals in 3 or even 4 years from now too.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I will admit, I wrote him off a couple seasons ago to some extent. He's certainly bounced back nicely. Lessons learned.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Worth noting: he's averaging fewer than 2 hits per game this year so he's unlikely to finish over 200 like he does most years. I'll take fewer hits in exchange for more goals any day!