Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sens to ask Karlsson, other Sens for no-trade lists

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Sens to ask Karlsson, other Sens for no-trade lists

From Sportsnet:

The Ottawa Senators have 10 players with no-trade clauses in their contracts and plan to ask each to provide a list of teams they would not be dealt to, according to Sportsnet?s Elliotte Friedman.

Among those players is Senators captain Erik Karlsson, but don?t read into that just yet.

?I was told that does not mean 100 per cent that Erik Karlsson is getting traded. It just opens the option,? Friedman said during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday.

The tactic is similar to what the Senators did in 2011, said Friedman, when they asked for players? no-trade lists before dealing away Mike Fisher, Chris Kelly and Alex Kovalev.

Karlsson, 27, is set to become a free agent following the 2018-19 season. He made headlines last week after telling the Ottawa Sun: ?When I go to market, I?m going to get what I?m worth, and it?s going to be no less, no matter where I?m going.?

While Friedman said the Senators are ?trying to move past that,? fellow insider Nick Kypreos said team owner Eugene Melnyk did not like that Karlsson publicly stated his intention.

When asked if the Senators, who sit second last in the Atlantic Division, should trade the defenceman, Kypreos said it?s a no-brainer.

?Absolutely I would,? Kypreos stated. ?It just doesn?t make sense to pay a guy $12 to $13 million if you can?t afford to surround him with players that can compete.?

Karlsson carries a $6.5-million cap hit this season and next. He has one goal and 18 points in 22 games this season.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Sens to ask Karlsson, other Sens for no-trade lists

Wow. East Final slump??

Dobber Sports Stud

Even with the bump in the projected salary cap, I suspect very few teams have the assets, cap space or both to trade for Karlsson. I don't see him moving anytime soon.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Deity

I just don't see them trading Karlsson (anytime soon) but I can certainly see them shopping him as his contract expiration get closer to see whats out there. As I mentioned in a different thread, I can see Karlsson expecting a (and getting) McDavid type contract, if not more in a couple years, especially if the cap raises as we expect it to.

Lets be clear, I have no doubt the Senators will do everything they can to re-sign Karlsson and that is their main priority but if they cannot, I do think they will seriously consider trading him. Much like Seguin and Tavares, the team has enjoyed his performance on a bit of a bargain contract for a few years now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This is a non story because this is standard practice and they are just doing their job

but the team does have to explore what Karlsson could fetch because they need to determine if what we see now is the Karlsson he will be for the rest of his career. Right now his injury has forced him to be a good defense man instead of an elite, hands down best in the game dman. If he stays the same, I wouldn’t sign him for 12 million over 8 years.

i think it would be beneficial to not try to come back this year to mitigate the risk of having to trade Karlsson. I’d thwy somehow got Dahlin then him and Chabot would form a good duo to hike around if they had to move on from karlsson

so yeah let’s get this straight. There’s no question the sens would love to keep Karlsson long term , but they can’t cripple themselves if he regresses into a lesser quality dman like we are seeing now

Dobber Sports Guru

It is kind of interesting, not just on this board, but among Sens fans I know personally, how fast this has changed. About 12 games ago, the thought of trading EK was crazy. Now with his slump and his comments about being paid, Sens fans seem to accept the idea.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    It is kind of interesting, not just on this board, but among Sens fans I know personally, how fast this has changed. About 12 games ago, the thought of trading EK was crazy. Now with his slump and his comments about being paid, Sens fans seem to accept the idea.
    How recent performances can affect us all...
    To be fair though, this losing streak is practically ending their chances of making the playoffs before Xmas and I think thats why it's such a big deal
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Jedi

where oh where would Karlsson want to play? Can't wait to see the list of teams excluded from the no-trade list
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    where oh where would Karlsson want to play? Can't wait to see the list of teams excluded from the no-trade list
    You will never see that

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't see him getting traded now. No team will give up a monster return until they can get an extension in place, and the Sens aren't going to trade him as a 2 year rental. I don't think he's eligible until July next year or something to sign a new contract so we're going to be hearing a lot of annoying rumors until at least then.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I personally feel that Karlsson will be a Sen no longer than he has left on his current contract.

All things being equal, I could see him wanting to return as long as the club commits to contending, but I don't think the Senators will offer him what he can get elsewhere.

And I actually think that's the right move. So ya, if you can get a team to pony up a fortune for him while he has reasonable term left during a season where they likely won't be cracking the playoffs, then I would at the very least be looking, if not executing.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    You will never see that
    not the actual written list, but to think the teams he's willing to be traded to won't be leaked is a stretch. The media will get at least a partial list...

Vancouver has 15m coming off the books end of season... just sayin'

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I personally feel that Karlsson will be a Sen no longer than he has left on his current contract.

All things being equal, I could see him wanting to return as long as the club commits to contending, but I don't think the Senators will offer him what he can get elsewhere.

And I actually think that's the right move. So ya, if you can get a team to pony up a fortune for him while he has reasonable term left during a season where they likely won't be cracking the playoffs, then I would at the very least be looking, if not executing.
    I agree Karlsson will not be on Ottawa beyond his current contract.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If I'm trying to acquire Karlsson, I'm doing it sooner rather than later. Adding someone like this is not a normal deadline acquisition. You need to revamp your entire offensive scheme. Doing that down the stretch would just create too much havoc IMO...

The only reason he’s ever be traded is if they feel his current post injury level of play is his new normal.

i don’t see him being moved and I think he’ll sign a contract in the summer

most of this talk is toronto media garbage