Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Benn and the Stars suck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Jamie Benn and the Stars suck

The $9.5 million man has just 24 points in 30 games (I'm assuming he won't get a point in the 3rd period tonight by the way he's playing). They are being outplayed by an expansion, but overachieving, team playing their 2nd on back-to-back against a nobody goalie. This feels like another subpar season for the former PPG player. Getting very annoying.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Jamie Benn and the Stars suck

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    The $9.5 million man has just 24 points in 30 games (I'm assuming he won't get a point in the 3rd period tonight by the way he's playing). They are being outplayed by an expansion, but overachieving, team playing their 2nd on back-to-back against a nobody goalie. This feels like another subpar season for the former PPG player. Getting very annoying.
    I wouldn't worry just yet. But I also wouldn't expect Benn to PPG player every year. He definitely carries more value in my leagues because of peripheral categories. And as good as he is offensively, I don't think he's on the level of guys like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Stamkos etc... Not to downplay him, but I would generally expect 70 points + from him, but not necessarily 80 points + year to year. He had 2 PPG+ seasons in a row. I think he will have more PPG seasons but not every year. It really depends a lot on expectations. I'm still quite happy with him if he has a 75 point season. But yea, if you are looking for guaranteed PPG + seasons every year I think you might want to try and trade him.

He was never going to keep up what he did from 2014-2016. But I don't expect him to fall too far either, I think 70 points in 82 games will probably be his floor most years. But I also doubt he will ever have 90+ point seasons either. He's just a notch below those types offensively.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with ranger's assessment, I believe expectations need to be adjusted for Benn and probably place him in the same tier as Tank points-wise, meaning a potential ppg player with a solid floor at 70pts.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    I agree with ranger's assessment, I believe expectations need to be adjusted for Benn and probably place him in the same tier as Tank points-wise, meaning a potential ppg player with a solid floor at 70pts.
    Ditto. Everything went right for him the year he won the Art Ross. That just won't happen again.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Wizard

Benn had 3 years of PPG performance, not just one year when he won the Art Ross. Last year looked like the anomaly to me compared to his previous three years.

What is even more annoying is that Benn was a first round pick for many yet is being outperformed by mid rounders of even waiver wire pick ups. And in cap leagues, he is just not a good value at his current production.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think part of the issue is him getting Hitchcock-blocked.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taco97 View Post
    I think part of the issue is him getting Hitchcock-blocked.
    This is important to note. Hitchcock is so defense-oriented he seems to reduce fantasy results for skaters.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Depending on your cap league setup, I do agree that $9.5M is a lot to eat considering most expect Art Ross results, but Benn is still a quality player in multi-cat leagues.

BTW, he did have a goal last night too. He's now got 25pts in 30G and lets be honest, he's one 3pt game away from being close to being a PPG player again, which we all know is possible.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

the league I own Benn he is my franchise player so his salary does not count, but with his peripherals he is a must start for multi-cat leagues. I agree though that he has been inconsistent offensively this season.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Ace

Benn had 3 years of PPG performance, not just one year when he won the Art Ross. Last year looked like the anomaly to me compared to his previous three years.

What is even more annoying is that Benn was a first round pick for many yet is being outperformed by mid rounders of even waiver wire pick ups. And in cap leagues, he is just not a good value at his current production.
    He has only had 2 actual PPG years in his career and they were one after the next. From 2014-2016. 79 points in 81 games is close, but still isn't technically PPG. And again, I think expectations were a bit too high on him. I think he's still a 1st round pick in multi cat leagues. At least he was up to this year. After this year, I think there are players that have moved ahead of him. But in points only leagues, he's probably a 2nd rounder at best, possibly 3rd Rounder at this point. The Tank comparison is good. He's just not Stamkos, Crosby or even McDavid.

Personally, I think Seguin is the most overrated player on the Stars team. That doesn't mean he's "very overrated". He's still a fantastic player. But he never finishes that well in any of my leagues.

But mostly, I think those blaming the coaching style are on point. It's defensive oriented. Now Benn is a terrific 2 way player. But as a whole, I don't think Stars have the roster to win with that style. It's going to take a few years for them to be molded and come together.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    He has only had 2 actual PPG years in his career and they were one after the next. From 2014-2016. 79 points in 81 games is close, but still isn't technically PPG. And again, I think expectations were a bit too high on him. I think he's still a 1st round pick in multi cat leagues. At least he was up to this year. After this year, I think there are players that have moved ahead of him. But in points only leagues, he's probably a 2nd rounder at best, possibly 3rd Rounder at this point. The Tank comparison is good. He's just not Stamkos, Crosby or even McDavid.

Personally, I think Seguin is the most overrated player on the Stars team. That doesn't mean he's "very overrated". He's still a fantastic player. But he never finishes that well in any of my leagues.

But mostly, I think those blaming the coaching style are on point. It's defensive oriented. Now Benn is a terrific 2 way player. But as a whole, I don't think Stars have the roster to win with that style. It's going to take a few years for them to be molded and come together.
    Let's not argue about 2 points off PPG pace. I am aware that 79 in 81 isn't techniclly PPG but it's close enough so I included it.

Anyway, Benn is not a terrific 2-way player at all. His defence is mediocre at best. And Hitchcock wasn't their coach last year and Benn had an off year too.

Benn's value comes in multi-cat leagues, especially if salary cap is not included. I am afraid it is looking like Benn will be a 70-point player going forward, which I guess isn't bad but given his cap hit, and his poor +/- performance (unfortunately my league counts it), his value is not great.

Dobber Sports Ace

Let's not argue about 2 points off PPG pace. I am aware that 79 in 81 isn't techniclly PPG but it's close enough so I included it.

Anyway, Benn is not a terrific 2-way player at all. His defence is mediocre at best. And Hitchcock wasn't their coach last year and Benn had an off year too.

Benn's value comes in multi-cat leagues, especially if salary cap is not included. I am afraid it is looking like Benn will be a 70-point player going forward, which I guess isn't bad but given his cap hit, and his poor +/- performance (unfortunately my league counts it), his value is not great.
    Have to disagree. About most of that. Except what to expect going forward. He's not the BEST 2 way player. But he's good for a winger. And the only reason to include his 79 points in 81 games is to make it seem as if there is a slightly larger drop off. Why stop at 2 points? Why not 5 points? Why not 10 points?

I guess it depends how you judge success. 89 Hits, 47 blocks, 66 PIM one year, and 156 Hits, 55 blocks, 64 PIM the year prior tells me he puts forth effort all over the ice.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Star

In points leagues, hes maybe slightly underachieving by a couple points.

In multi-cat leagues though, his hit rate is back up to over 2 hits per game after dipping by quite a bit last season. Over 3 SOGs per game, takes some draws while wing eligible (on yahoo), 23 PIMs, 9 PPPs. He's been awesome for me.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Stud

Why "And the stars" suck?

I have Seguin and Klingberg and I am happy as a pig in shit. Seguin is rising to the occasion in Hitchcock's system and winning more faceoffs than ever before(Counts in my league) while being close to a PPG with 28 in 30. If you count SOG he is killing it there too.

Klingberg is on pace for a career year as he leads all defensemen in points.

Quite frankly, 25 points in 30 games is a solid amount for Benn.

People seem to forget to be top 10 in points, you usually only need 75 points. Benn is on pace for 68, but a multi point game here and there instantly puts him on pace for 75. I don't see the problem. If you expect a guy to be top 3 in points every year you are going to be disappointed. NOBODY does it often.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Why "And the stars" suck?

I have Seguin and Klingberg and I am happy as a pig in shit. Seguin is rising to the occasion in Hitchcock's system and winning more faceoffs than ever before(Counts in my league) while being close to a PPG with 28 in 30. If you count SOG he is killing it there too.

Klingberg is on pace for a career year as he leads all defensemen in points.

Quite frankly, 25 points in 30 games is a solid amount for Benn.

People seem to forget to be top 10 in points, you usually only need 75 points. Benn is on pace for 68, but a multi point game here and there instantly puts him on pace for 75. I don't see the problem. If you expect a guy to be top 3 in points every year you are going to be disappointed. NOBODY does it often.
    I am getting frustrated with the hit on +/- I get because they are losing and pull the goalie and boom, Benn, Radulov and Klingberg are collectively -3, just like that. They should be winning more games and not have to pull the goalie every 2nd game, it seems. Overall, the team should be doing better.