Thread: Demko - too soon?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Demko - too soon?

I saw that he got called up today. Any update on why? I am in a 12 team, H2H 27 man keeper league where goalies are gold. The most we can hold onto are 4. I currently have three (Allen, Bishop, Gibson). Is Demko a guy that will be producing something (backup) by the end of next season? I don't like to hold onto players if their window is more than a year away as too many things can happen. His AHL numbers look to be okay, but not great (8-5-2, 2.50 GAA, .920 Sv%). Just looking for more opinions on him. There are not a lot of goalies available in my league, Fucale, Gillies, Husso, Parsons are a few that are. If i did claim him now, i would probably drop a player like Vrana or Kempe.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Demko - too soon?

Demko is perhaps the best goalie prospect in the world right now if you take both talent and situation into consideration.

His path to a starting job in Vancouver is very clear since they only have Nilsson and Markstrom ahead of him, and neither one is anything special. I don't know when exactly they start using Demko as their full-time backup since Nilsson is signed for 2 more years and Markstrom 3 but when they do, his value will skyrocket because of it.

In 2-3 years, Demko is probably a starting goalie already, so it wouldn't surprise me if they start giving him some NHL games already now.

Dobber Sports Jedi

this is the 3rd time they've called demko 'up' this year. the first two I don't recall him ever actually leaving Utica. it was more for roster jigging purposes. I haven't heard of an injury to either Nilsson or markstrom, so wouldn't expect him to play. markstrom & nilsson have played above expectations this year & I'm expecting Nilsson to get the next start in Van.

All that aside, if you can stash him on your roster without it being detrimental to your teams production for the rest of the season and into next season. Then yes, I'd want the best G prospect going. Nilsson's signed to the end of 18/19 and markstrom 19/20. I'm expecting Demko to replace one as the back up next season.

His #' are 'average' in the AHL because Utica is not a very strong team in front of him. A .920 svpct is pretty great considering the team they have down there.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This is why I have been on this site since 2007.... the information and opinions here are 2nd to none and the people are almost always great. Thank you both again. I have claimed Demko and will just sit on him for a while. It should be worth the roster spot, especially compared to what i would normally have in there.
    Have a great weekend.

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, I am with lucafen here. I dont think he plays but more of a administrative move again (not sure why they keep doing this).

That being said, he's definitely one to watch but probably wont be fantasy relevant for a couple of seasons (barring injuries of course).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think he plays but more of a administrative move again (not sure why they keep doing this).
    The call up is for salary cap purposes, related to Dorsett's LTIR situation.

As for why they are picking Demko to be the one called up, it is because they are rewarding him for strong play. He gets an NHL game day paycheck instead of an AHL game day paycheck, which amounts to a significant bonus for him each time it happens. I agree that he is highly unlikely to play for as long as Markstrom and Nilsson continue to play competently. The only way he sniffs a start this year is due to injuries or one/both of Mark/Nil start consistently pooping the bed and become a liability.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post

As for why they are picking Demko to be the one called up, it is because they are rewarding him for strong play. He gets an NHL game day paycheck instead of an AHL game day paycheck, which amounts to a significant bonus for him each time it happens. I agree that he is highly unlikely to play for as long as Markstrom and Nilsson continue to play competently. The only way he sniffs a start this year is due to injuries or one/both of Mark/Nil start consistently pooping the bed and become a liability.
    Ya, I assumed it was for cap reasons.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree that he is highly unlikely to play for as long as Markstrom and Nilsson continue to play competently. The only way he sniffs a start this year is due to injuries or one/both of Mark/Nil start consistently pooping the bed and become a liability.
    Both are very likely scenarios IMO.

Dobber Sports Jedi

This would have to be a full blown room covering shit-cident for them to call up Demko and give him more than a handful of games. If they're out of the race end of March - I think Demko sees his first few games
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

I think it was a good idea for you to grab him.good work. he's the best goalie prospect in my mind. as mentioned I the ramblings there could also be a trade coming, but the bonus cash for demko makes sense too.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Stud

good job grabbing Demko - as others have said he is the bet G prospect not in the NHL and has a clear path to the starter's job in VAN. What surprises me is he was available in your league and you got him for nothing. Well done!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Veteran

Markstrom got tangled up last night, maybe a bit injured?

Dobber Sports Genius

The Canucks have been calling up Demko when there are breaks in Utica's schedule as a bonus to Demko. For the days that he gets called up he gets paid his daily pro-rated NHL salary of $925K as opposed to his daily AHL salary of $70k.

Good move by the Cauncks. It is a small hit to their cap but a huge boost to Demko's bank account.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to...-up-1.23072412
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    The Canucks have been calling up Demko when there are breaks in Utica's schedule as a bonus to Demko. For the days that he gets called up he gets paid his daily pro-rated NHL salary of $925K as opposed to his daily AHL salary of $70k.

Good move by the Cauncks. It is a small hit to their cap but a huge boost to Demko's bank account.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to...-up-1.23072412
    This link (from with inthe link above)https://capfriendly.com/ltir-faq goes in to the LTIR math. It explains the cap implecations of calling up guys from the farm to maximze their use of the cap.

What is the Accruable Cap Space Limit (ACSL)?
    When a team goes into LTIR, their effective salary cap, or upper limit, is changed. This adjusted upper limit is calculated as a function of the teams cap space and the player’s cap hit. This value is the “accruable cap space limit” (ACSL), and is the first value calculated. Second are the salary and performance bonus relief pools that are later explained below.

The accruable cap space limit is the teams new upper limit excluding their LTIR relief pools. If the team operates below the ACSL, they begin to accrue cap space. A team can operate up to the ACSL without using their LTIR relief pools, once they operate above the ACSL, they begin to use their LTIR relief pools. In the majority of cases, a team using LTIR will be using their relief pools. Only in uncommon circumstances does a team operate below their ACSL.

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

Two methods can be used to calculate the ACSL:

The Basic Equation
    The basic equation can be used throughout the NHL regular season, and during the off-season:
    ACSL = Salary cap upper limit - team cap space

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, a team with a projected cap hit of $74.9M places a player with an AAV of $5M on LTIR:
    Upper limit = $75M
    Team cap space = $0.1M
    ACSL = $75M - $0.1M = $74.9M
    If the team decides that they do not need to recall a player, and instead reassign a player to the AHL, they would begin to accrue cap space because they are operating below the ACSL.
    Last edited by Moses; December 9, 2017 at 1:30 AM. Reason: I found the topic intesting and wanted to add what I had found while looking up the answer. ?\_(ツ)_/?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's a really nice move by the Canucks, and it's showing that they are treating this propsect very well, and by extension, it gets seen as a classy move. So it may help them with dealing with free agent prospects in the future, because they have shown to be willing to do this. Certainly shouldn't hurt.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.