Thread: Jack Hughes

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Jack Hughes

Where would Jack Hughes rank if he were 2018 eligible?
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Jack Hughes

Probably 1st or 2nd overall right now but because he's so young, there's lots of time for that to change.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Probably 1st or 2nd overall right now but because he's so young, there's lots of time for that to change.
    I would think 2nd. The chance to get a Dman as touted as Dahlin is more rare than franchise C. We've seen a couple come along lately - Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, it's the first time in a long time a Dman has been pumped up like this.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would think 2nd. The chance to get a Dman as touted as Dahlin is more rare than franchise C. We've seen a couple come along lately - Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, it's the first time in a long time a Dman has been pumped up like this.
    That's true but the small amount of history we have for cases like that, it seems to favor the franchise center over a franchise D-man: Tavares vs Hedman and Stamkos vs Doughty are the only relevant cases I can think of.

Dobber Sports Jedi

That's true but the small amount of history we have for cases like that, it seems to favor the franchise center over a franchise D-man: Tavares vs Hedman and Stamkos vs Doughty are the only relevant cases I can think of.
    The next question then is.. is Hughes reviews coming back that highly touted? I know Button's quite high on him.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The next question then is.. is Hughes reviews coming back that highly touted? I know Button's quite high on him.
    I think so, yes. So far, he's putting up better numbers than Eichel and Matthews at same age.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've only been in involved in fantasy hockey the past four years, were Hedman/Doughty as polished or as highly touted as Dahlin. It seems like he's the McDavid of the blueline. Svechinkov isn't a slouched, good USHL debut last year along with playing for team Russia in various junior series. Seems like he's the Laine of this class.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    I've only been in involved in fantasy hockey the past four years, were Hedman/Doughty as polished or as highly touted as Dahlin. It seems like he's the McDavid of the blueline. Svechinkov isn't a slouched, good USHL debut last year along with playing for team Russia in various junior series. Seems like he's the Laine of this class.
    Yes, I think Dahlin fits very nicely in the same group with Hedman and Doughty. He's not the McDavid of the blueline, McDavid is on completely different level from everyone else in the world. We might go another 20 years before we see another McDavid level player coming up, and it's not fair to compare anyone to him.

And my comment was about Jack Hughes vs Dahlin, not about Dahlin vs Svechnikov. If Jack Hughes was a year older, it would be a very close battle for 1st overall between him and Dahlin. But because there's no such real battle this year, Dahlin might get overhyped a little bit. Svechnikov is an excellent prospect but can't really challenge Dahlin for that 1st overall spot - wingers just aren't that important to NHL teams. If there was a high-end center like Matthews or Eichel available, Dahlin might slip to 2nd overall. I think that's the big difference between this year and the years when Hedman and Doughty were drafted - they were behind Stamkos and Tavares who were both elite prospects coming up, some of the best we've seen in the past 10 years (but still not at the same level with McDavid). Hughes looks like he could be somewhere in that Tavares/Stamkos/Matthews/Eichel level, it's just too early to say where exactly within that group.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yes, I think Dahlin fits very nicely in the same group with Hedman and Doughty. He's not the McDavid of the blueline, McDavid is on completely different level from everyone else in the world. We might go another 20 years before we see another McDavid level player coming up, and it's not fair to compare anyone to him.

And my comment was about Jack Hughes vs Dahlin, not about Dahlin vs Svechnikov. If Jack Hughes was a year older, it would be a very close battle for 1st overall between him and Dahlin. But because there's no such real battle this year, Dahlin might get overhyped a little bit. Svechnikov is an excellent prospect but can't really challenge Dahlin for that 1st overall spot - wingers just aren't that important to NHL teams. If there was a high-end center like Matthews or Eichel available, Dahlin might slip to 2nd overall. I think that's the big difference between this year and the years when Hedman and Doughty were drafted - they were behind Stamkos and Tavares who were both elite prospects coming up, some of the best we've seen in the past 10 years (but still not at the same level with McDavid). Hughes looks like he could be somewhere in that Tavares/Stamkos/Matthews/Eichel level, it's just too early to say where exactly within that group.
    Yeah I was unclear, your touting of Hughes as a battle for #1 overall this year means how highly you think of him. I was using the Svenchikov example as you think he's on the level of a Matthews etc. Which holds true with pre-draft year scoring in the USHL/USDP.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Yeah I was unclear, your touting of Hughes as a battle for #1 overall this year means how highly you think of him. I was using the Svenchikov example as you think he's on the level of a Matthews etc. Which holds true with pre-draft year scoring in the USHL/USDP.
    For fantasy hockey, Svechnikov is close to the Matthews level. But in real life, wingers just aren't anywhere near as valuable as centers or D-men, so that's why there's no battle for 1st overall. Hughes on the other hand is a center and therefore could challenge Dahlin for that spot if that was possible.

For fantasy hockey, I can actually see Svechnikov being the better choice in some leagues. In some leagues, Tarasenko probably goes before Karlsson, and those are the closest comparables I can think of for when they're in their prime.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Statistically, that's false. You're far more likely to find a player like Dahlin outside the top 5 or even the first round than you are to find a first line center outside the first round, and you're almost never getting an elite center outside the top 10.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Statistically, that's false. You're far more likely to find a player like Dahlin outside the top 5 or even the first round than you are to find a first line center outside the first round, and you're almost never getting an elite center outside the top 10.
    this isn't about finding a player. I said The chance to get a Dman as touted as Dahlin is more rare than franchise C.

Statistically Dmen are less likely to be ranked as the #1 prospect then a centre is. doesn't matter if it's statistically more likely that a 2nd round Dman becomes a #1 guy vs. a #1 elite C. That has nothing to do with my post. Go look at the last 10 years of pre-draft prospect rankings. how many C's are ranked #1? how many Dmen? That's my point.