Thread: play it safe and go for one win or try for two

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default play it safe and go for one win or try for two

I have my Schneider starting against my Khudobin and my Lundqvist starting against Carolina.

I could play it safe and hope for a low scoring game while one of either Schneider or Khudobin gets the win or pick between the two (leaning towards Khudobin) and start Lundy and try to grab two wins. Of course, because all fantasy players are pessimists here's what will happen:

I start Schneider and Khudobin. It's a high scoring game in which both get blown out and Rask and Kinkaide finish the game while Lundy gets the win on my bench while pitching a 1-0 shut out.

Next scenario, I chose between Khudobin and Schneider and start Lundy. Both starters get blown out and the bench guy gets the win.

Aaargh.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: play it safe and go for one win or try for two

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    I have my Schneider starting against my Khudobin and my Lundqvist starting against Carolina.

I could play it safe and hope for a low scoring game while one of either Schneider or Khudobin gets the win or pick between the two (leaning towards Khudobin) and start Lundy and try to grab two wins. Of course, because all fantasy players are pessimists here's what will happen:

I start Schneider and Khudobin. It's a high scoring game in which both get blown out and Rask and Kinkaide finish the game while Lundy gets the win on my bench while pitching a 1-0 shut out.

Next scenario, I chose between Khudobin and Schneider and start Lundy. Both starters get blown out and the bench guy gets the win.

Aaargh.
    It depends on what you are looking for. I suspect from your post that GAA & SV% are in your cats., and not just Wins.
    10 Team H2H Fantrax League, Points (Cats), Daily lineup, 3 claims / wk.
    F - 5, D - 4, G - 2, Skt - 1, Bench - 6, IR - 3

F - P. Kane, Zibanejad, Couturier, E. Lindholm, Kopitar, B. Schenn, Kadri, Monahan, Hintz, Rust, Nylander
    D - Burns, D. Hamilton, Girard, Andersson
    G - Hellebuyck, Andersen, Samsonov

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Initiate

W, SV and GAA.

I'm leaning toward Khudobin and Schneider.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    W, SV and GAA.

I'm leaning toward Khudobin and Schneider.
    Makes sense. Odds-makers have NJD slight favourites to win...Boston is only scoring 2.6 G per game, NJD is scoring 3. If they play true to form you’d end up with GAA of 2.75, and it could be better. Schneider has been good this year.
    I’m dressing Darling instead of Hank tonight...think it’s safer.

F - P. Kane, Zibanejad, Couturier, E. Lindholm, Kopitar, B. Schenn, Kadri, Monahan, Hintz, Rust, Nylander

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would start the two best goalies... and this case it is Hank and Schneider.

If you don't start either of these guys and 1 gets a shutout (you will regret it and say why did I try getting so cute)

On the flip side - if start Khudobin over one of the other two and he gets blown out, you will regret it and say why didn't I start Hank or Schneider over him.

Dobber Sports Monster

Not sure of your settings but I would just go with the goalies you feel the best about. If you are in h2h, then you want to try to get a lead in W early and I think you gotta swing for the fences not play it 'safe' (as you said there isn't even a guarantee of getting a win out of a goalie if you put them against each other).

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Not sure of your settings but I would just go with the goalies you feel the best about. If you are in h2h, then you want to try to get a lead in W early and I think you gotta swing for the fences not play it 'safe' (as you said there isn't even a guarantee of getting a win out of a goalie if you put them against each other).
    Thanks all. It's a roto format and I went for, what i hope to be, walking away with a sure win. Early returns on Schneider is he looks shaky. Seems that a number of goalies are maddeningly inconsistent this year.

I appreciate the input.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American Dobbers and Happy November 24 to our Dobber neighbors to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would start the two best goalies... and this case it is Hank and Schneider.

If you don't start either of these guys and 1 gets a shutout (you will regret it and say why did I try getting so cute)

On the flip side - if start Khudobin over one of the other two and he gets blown out, you will regret it and say why didn't I start Hank or Schneider over him.
    I promise I will always listen to you in the future. I started Darling instead of Hank...I have learned my lesson.

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Initiate

It was sound advice. The problem is we live and die with our guys every day so we sort of dismiss the high and focus on the warts. Even if on paper you think your goalie is elite, you still worry about starting him against another elite team. I thought Lundy might win but if he didn't but then I pick the losing goalie in Boston-Nj, I walk away with no wins are tough to come by. I do appreciate all of the insights.