Thread: Why aren't two piece hockey sticks more popular?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Why aren't two piece hockey sticks more popular?

Am planning on buying a hockey stick this friday and might just go with a 2 piece. I do notice that most players have just a one piece ... what are the pros and cons of having a 2 piece compared to a 1 piece. Was thinking of having a wooden blade with a composite shaft.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Why aren't two piece hockey sticks more popular?

I use 2 pieces!

They're so much more cost effective, especially for street hockey which I use them for quite often.

I'm sure you don't get 100% of the performance you get from a 1 piece, but for almost all of us, 98% effectiveness is more than we can put to use anyways. For what it's worth, I recommend "True" shafts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I use 2 pieces!

They're so much more cost effective, especially for street hockey which I use them for quite often.

I'm sure you don't get 100% of the performance you get from a 1 piece, but for almost all of us, 98% effectiveness is more than we can put to use anyways. For what it's worth, I recommend "True" shafts.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll look at the prices. At the shop in my town the shafts are like $40-80. I don't play street hockey, they have street ball hockey tournaments here every summer but everyone likes to get rough and I see a lot of slew footing/can opener moves which I don't like lol. I think every game I watched last year there was a fight a game. I just want a stick to start shooting around with on the ice and occasionally renting out ice at the local rink (small sized 3 on 3 rink - $100 or so an hour). Am going to look at some skates as well, the old ones I had are 11 D when I need a 10.5-11 EE. Could hardly stand skating on the 11 D, too narrow.

Dobber Sports Genius

I use a 2-piece for ball hockey just for the ABS blades. Sport Chek always has stick sales though so decent 1 piece sticks can be had for @ $60 and they do shoot better. Ultimately either one is fine, just have to go out and launch pucks as much as possible.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Titan

Pros don't because a $300 stick rarely comes in 2pieces, and the "feel" isn't the same. That makes sense with the feel because 1 piece would transmit vibrations more efficiently. Also, flex points do get a bit messy when you keep adding in pieces, so for us normal people a 2piece isn't that bad.

To point out tho, I had a season where I used a 2piece and the blade would shoot out from the shaft every 2nd game it seemed. So if you get one, get extra glue. (another reason why maybe pros don't use it often, one slight crack in the glue messes everything up). I use an extension in my stick for ice hockey and that's a big issue. I'll take a slap shot and it'll break the glue in the extension and it messes everything up.

Marleau uses a 2piece tho I noticed since he came to the Leafs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

I choose my sticks based on how likely they are to break when I slash or cross check other players. Don't need to be giving the ref another reason to give me a penalty. Just kidding, I'm like the cleanest player out there. Also, I use a two piece stuck. My back up stick is an aluminum shaft, which has awesome strength for slashing (only in retaliation, hey, I'm only human).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

I used to use a two piece for both ball hockey and ice hockey, but my wife bought a one piece for me a few years ago, and I haven't gone back. It feels a lot lighter and I've convinced myself that I can stick handle a bit quicker as well as shoot better now too. I still have the two piece, with wooden blade, for street hockey or the occasional game in the gym because the heavier, more durable end is a necessity.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    To point out tho, I had a season where I used a 2piece and the blade would shoot out from the shaft every 2nd game it seemed. So if you get one, get extra glue. (another reason why maybe pros don't use it often, one slight crack in the glue messes everything up). I use an extension in my stick for ice hockey and that's a big issue. I'll take a slap shot and it'll break the glue in the extension and it messes everything up.
    These are my problems with a 2 piece.... the glue doesn't hold for long and you are always re-gluing it.