Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Connor Murphy, D, CHI

Default Connor Murphy, D, CHI

Thoughts on his value in a dynasty, multi-cat format? He's my 11th d-man so I want to confirm that his long term value warrants the wait. Or maybe I should drop him and revisit the situation in 2-3 years?

Thanks
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Connor Murphy, D, CHI

He has value in multicat leagues, but it doesn't seem like he's getting the deployment right now. I think he's worth holding onto because of the upside with hits/blocks, while not being a total slouch on the offensive side.

Always depends who else is available though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

As EB said - what would be available if you cut ties?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

I'm a bit thin at RW, and I have a contending team so I'd like to fill out my roster with depth for the long haul without significantly sacrificing future. Perfect world, rainbows, unicorns, that sorta thing.

I was looking at Bjugstad, Grabner Josh Bailey. Baily and Bjugstad have duel eligibility too which would help. Bjugstad is my primary target. Ideally I'd like to trade for an upgrade at RW but no one seems willing at this point. Maybe still too early in the season. GMs still feeling out their team.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

I find this is the best time to be making trades. GMs that are still feeling out their teams at this point are going to be too late to be effective later on in the season. That being said, depending on your categories and roster setup, I would be happy with Bjugstad over Murphy.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

He's playing just 14 minutes per game in Chicago and has been a healthy scratch a couple of times already. It doesn't look like they're valuing him very highly in Chicago, and at the same time his trade value goes down all the time when they're doing that. He has 4 years left at $3.85M, so there's probably not much of a market for him in the NHL if he's just a 14 minutes per game type player. If you can still get some value, I would trade him very quickly.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    He's playing just 14 minutes per game in Chicago and has been a healthy scratch a couple of times already. It doesn't look like they're valuing him very highly in Chicago, and at the same time his trade value goes down all the time when they're doing that. He has 4 years left at $3.85M, so there's probably not much of a market for him in the NHL if he's just a 14 minutes per game type player. If you can still get some value, I would trade him very quickly.
    Minutes and scratches with a new dman on the Hawks with Q as coach is not indicative of the whole picture. New dmen have a history of not fitting into Q's "system." Q plays favorites and ice time does not always reflect who is actually the better player. Look no further than TVR last season. He was given constant playing time and I don't think he was a healthy scratch all season. Contrast this to Kempny who was scratched often last season but was the better player both through the eye test and the fancy stats. Plus, I think Q likes scratching Murphy since it makes Bowman look bad. Q loved Hjalmarsson and was not in favor of the trade.

So I think this is a low point for Murphy. Murphy will be with the Hawks for longer than Quennville. I don't have a lot of hope for much production from Murphy this year but if you are looking down the road, I would say to be patient. Hope it helps.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Minutes and scratches with a new dman on the Hawks with Q as coach is not indicative of the whole picture. New dmen have a history of not fitting into Q's "system." Q plays favorites and ice time does not always reflect who is actually the better player. Look no further than TVR last season. He was given constant playing time and I don't think he was a healthy scratch all season. Contrast this to Kempny who was scratched often last season but was the better player both through the eye test and the fancy stats. Plus, I think Q likes scratching Murphy since it makes Bowman look bad. Q loved Hjalmarsson and was not in favor of the trade.

So I think this is a low point for Murphy. Murphy will be with the Hawks for longer than Quennville. I don't have a lot of hope for much production from Murphy this year but if you are looking down the road, I would say to be patient. Hope it helps.
    Jan Rutta is also a new D-man and is clearly the favorite between the two new D-men. That's the biggest concern for me - they're giving bigger minutes to another new guy who is waivers exempt and playing on a two-way contract. You'd assume they'd try to get the $4M man going instead but that's not the case at all, so that worries me a lot.

Dobber Sports Sage

Jan Rutta is also a new D-man and is clearly the favorite between the two new D-men. That's the biggest concern for me - they're giving bigger minutes to another new guy who is waivers exempt and playing on a two-way contract. You'd assume they'd try to get the $4M man going instead but that's not the case at all, so that worries me a lot.
    That's a good point.

There's also no excuse to scratch Murphy multiple times when Seabrook has been awful this season.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

But if they scratched Rutta AND Murphy who would they play... Q 100% has favourites but realistically can you blame bim
    based on what they led him to winning...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    That's a good point.

There's also no excuse to scratch Murphy multiple times when Seabrook has been awful this season.
    True. The Seabrook contract was considered to be horrible as soon as it was signed but it's starting to look worse by the day.

I also never understood trading Hjalmarsson in the first place. He's a solid #2 NHL D-man whereas Murphy was always considered to be a #4 guy. Chicago also has no reason to start thinking about 2019-2020 season now because by that time, Keith will be 36, Seabrook and Crawford will be 34, and even Toews and Kane will start to decline at age 31 (although I'm not expecting them to decline drastically). There's no one in their system coming up who could realistically replace any of those guys (well, someone can definitely replace Seabrook's minutes but his huge contract is still hurting them at that point). Chicago should have focused on this season and the next, and that's when Hjalmarsson would have helped them much more than Murphy.

scoring cats are Goals and Assists (x2), then SOG (.3), Hits (.2), PIM (.2), and Hat Tricks, my current d is:
    Gostisbhere
    Butcher
    Phaneuf
    Collin Miller
    Parayko
    Heed
    Gardiner
    Nurse
    Fatenberg
    Joel Edemundson
    ...and Murphy

For me it comes down whether Murphy's long term upside is elevated to such an extent as to justify the risk associated with my relatively thin RW position. My starters are solid, but one or two injuries and I'm sunk.

Judging by the tone of the comments here, I'll like to acquire Bjugstad off waivers (blind bid), and package up a couple of players like Butcher and a forward or C to upgrade at RW.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    scoring cats are Goals and Assists (x2), then SOG (.3), Hits (.2), PIM (.2), and Hat Tricks, my current d is:
    Gostisbhere
    Butcher
    Phaneuf
    Collin Miller
    Parayko
    Heed
    Gardiner
    Nurse
    Fatenberg
    Joel Edemundson
    ...and Murphy

For me it comes down whether Murphy's long term upside is elevated to such an extent as to justify the risk associated with my relatively thin RW position. My starters are solid, but one or two injuries and I'm sunk.

Judging by the tone of the comments here, I'll like to acquire Bjugstad off waivers (blind bid), and package up a couple of players like Butcher and a forward or C to upgrade at RW.
    I'm not sure there's much long-term upside there. He's already played 275 NHL games where he's scored 50 points. He's never really shown any offensive touch at any level, and I think we've already seen what kind of peripherals he can provide when given the minutes. Basically, what he did in Arizona is his long-term upside IMO.

I'm not sure there's much long-term upside there. He's already played 275 NHL games where he's scored 50 points. He's never really shown any offensive touch at any level, and I think we've already seen what kind of peripherals he can provide when given the minutes. Basically, what he did in Arizona is his long-term upside IMO.
    Cool. Good enough for me. Thanks, all, for your input. Much appreciated.

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

True. The Seabrook contract was considered to be horrible as soon as it was signed but it's starting to look worse by the day.

I also never understood trading Hjalmarsson in the first place. He's a solid #2 NHL D-man whereas Murphy was always considered to be a #4 guy. Chicago also has no reason to start thinking about 2019-2020 season now because by that time, Keith will be 36, Seabrook and Crawford will be 34, and even Toews and Kane will start to decline at age 31 (although I'm not expecting them to decline drastically). There's no one in their system coming up who could realistically replace any of those guys (well, someone can definitely replace Seabrook's minutes but his huge contract is still hurting them at that point). Chicago should have focused on this season and the next, and that's when Hjalmarsson would have helped them much more than Murphy.
    You are right- the Seabrook contract is HORRIBLE and is easily one of the worst in the league. He'll have to be bought out after the next lockout.

In terms of Hjalmarsson, his play really went south last year. He has a lot of hard miles and he is the type of player that will lose it all at once. And while I have not watched any Arizona hockey this year, all the possession stats suggest that Hammer is one of the worst dmen on the Coyotes. I would much rather trade him a year too early than a year too late. Plus, Murphy has 3 more years on his deal than Hammer. I think Murphy has 2nd line dman ability with some minor improvements. Overall, I was in favor of the deal at the time. I miss the 2013 version of Hjalmarsson not what he has become.