Thread: McDavid's long-term RW, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto? Or neither?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default McDavid's long-term RW, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto? Or neither?

Title makes this self-explanatory. Who do you think its going to be? Axe and some of you other EDM homers will hopefully post your thoughts, I respect your opinions.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: McDavid's long-term RW, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto? Or neither?

If Puljujarvi lives up to his drafting order (meaning he somehow he recovers his deadly shot that got him drafted so high), for me he is the one to take this position. However, ever since he started playing in NA (AHl, NHL), his shot production and conversion percentage have gone way down (The Athletic's Allan Mitchell covered him lately and it might interest you if you are a subscriber: https://theathletic.com/150419/2017/...se-puljujarvi/).

If he doesn't become the player envisioned at his draft year, I still believe he slot in on the top 6, albeit not necessarily next to McDavid. If he does (I still think he will), then for me his place is on the first line.

I am however not a EDM homer, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

The Great One

I think its impossible to tell right now. I actuqlly think its yamo... based on... recency bias? But seriously I think his fast/cerebral game meshes better- but thats a dartboard toss...

Dobber Sports Icon

I would say neither guy listed spends more than a few seasons on McDavid's RW. Who was Crosby's long-term RWer? The salary cap forces teams to make tough decisions and the beauty/problem with having people play with McDavid is they will put up numbers that will get them larger salaries than Edmonton will have cap room to pay. The only reasonable answer to this question right now is Leon Draisaitl. They have been together not for almost a year and have put up decent numbers. The Oilers are already set at #2 center with Nugent-Hopkins for the next few years so they can afford to have Draisaitl play on the top line*.

*Draisaitl will probably be playing on a different line than McDavid starting Saturday afternoon in Dallas just because I said that (and because the McDavid/Draisaitl/Maroon line has only 3 5v5 goals in the past 7 games).

Dobber Sports Stud

Puljaarvi? Just based on draft position?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Deity

With all due respect, there's a difference between a fan and a homer. A homer is someone who is loyal to their team but cannot see the faults. Their team can do no wrong and they aren't willing to disparage their team in any way shape or form. Big Ev was the classic Senators homer on this site at one time. A fan is someone who has a favorite team, but can spot flaws and is not afraid to publicly call them out.

For the record, I consider myself an Oilers fan, not a homer. For quite some time I hated the Oilers management and the decisions that were made and had no issues stating them publicly. I just wanted to clarify that before I reply to the OP's question.

I do think the Oilers would love to have Puljujarvi find his way to that #1 RW spot with McDavid. As we have seen for years even with Crosby, it's not easy finding the right chemistry when it comes to wingers with stud centers like Crosby and McDavid. Right now, it seems that McDavid and Maroon have that spark and McLellan has left those two together. The right side hasn't been quite as kind to McDavid. Most thought that Eberle would be the guy but as we saw last year, that wasn't the case. Draisaitl has been the best fit so far, but I do think the Oilers want him to center his own line to seperate Draisaitl and McDavid and make it harder on opposing teams when it comes to matching up their best defensive lines against the Oilers best forward lines.

From what I have read, the Oilers plan on splitting the big ones up this afternoon and putting Caggiula up on the right side with McDavid and Maroon, letting Draisaitl center the 2nd line with Strome and Lucic. How long that lasts is anyones guess.

Long term, I do think the Oilers best option is someone already in the system but who knows what Chiarelli will do. I would like to think that when you draft someone 4th overall, you forsee them in that top line role. That doesn't' mean someone else isn't a better fit, but that's usually the plan on draft day when you have a pick at or around that spot.

Chemistry is a big thing and if Puljujarvi and McDavid don't find it, then the Oilers will try and find someone else who can give them that. That's not an easy thing to do and I am sure it will take time to find the right person. It might be Puljujarvi, it might be Yamamoto, it could be none of the above. I dont think an Oilers fan, or even an Oilers homer can give you more more than an opinion on who they'd like to see there and then hope for the best.

Personally I don't care who it is as long as they can find someone other that Draisaitl. I'd rather see him centering the 2nd line and the Oilers spreading the wealth when it comes to offensive options.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."