Thread: Makar or Pettersson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Makar or Pettersson

Fast forward a few months after the draft and Pettersson is tearing up the SHL while Makar is doing just OK in the NCAA, granted playing for a much weaker team.

But the acquisition of Girard by the Avalanche and the presence of Barrie make Makar's role less clear once he makes the NHL.

When do you think they make the NHL and who would have a better fantasy impact considering points only, since neither of them projects to be a multi-cat player?

Thanks in advance.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Makar or Pettersson

Canucks fan here, Pettersson will probably be ready 2 seasons from now, although could surprise. His potential is fairly high and if we’re going off comparables, he’s only .15ppg off of Peter Forsberg’s stat line in the SHL at age 19, so he’s definitely a potential 60-90 point player.

Maker too I think will be a very offensive heavy dman, so he may be more valuable. I think both will be very good
    League 1: Year 4 Points Only 16 teams Keep 13
    Forwards: Pettersson, Boeser, Hall, Hischier, Laine, B, Thachuk, Skinner, Drouin
    Defence: Barrie, Dumba, Ghost, Severson, Ekholm
    Goalie: M.Jones, Lehner
    Farm: Juolevi, Hayton
    2019: Placed 3rd

League 2: Year 3 Points Only 14 teams Keep 12
    Forwards: Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Gaudreau, Aho, Seguin, Landeskog, Duchene
    Defence: Reilly, Klingberg, S.Jones, Barrie
    Goalie: Hellybuyck, Hart
    Farm: Q.Hughes, Martin Necas
    2019: Placed 1st + Presidents Trophy

Dobber Sports Wizard

Makar probably needs another season in college or the AHL. Pettersson needs to add a lot of muscle for the NHL, so I hope they give him another season in the SHL or the AHL. They could be both in the NHL for 2019-2020 season.

Colorado will probably trade Barrie once Makar is ready to play top-4 minutes in the NHL. Or maybe even before that. 2019-2020 will be Barrie's final season with his current contract.

Dobber Sports Deity

I like both prospects and think both have bright futures.

If I had to choose, I'd alway go with the forward over the D because D usually take longer to develop and tend to be a bit more riskier as far as expectations go but a lot depends on your league setup. I like my D to be used for the hits and blocks in multicat formats and like my forwards to do the scoring. If you can get a D who does both well (ie Byfuglien, etc) then that's a bonus. Same for the forwards who are multicat guys; ones who score but also chip in with the hits and blocks. As you say, neither get projects to be much for multicat. For this reason, I do like Petterson more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."