Thread: Sell high on Vas for....?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Sell high on Vas for....?

Yearly league in sig. I have Talbot, Vas, Dubnyk and Elliott in net. I can definitely afford to get rid of one of them....just not sure who.

Elliott -- no one will bite
    Talbot -- not interested in selling low
    Dubnyk -- still think it's a sell low for now

That leaves me with Vas. I own McDavid so do I just reach for the stars and ask for a Crosby, Benn, Kane, Kuch, Stamkos?

The Great One

Default Re: Sell high on Vas for....?

Dont move Vas- he'll win you a title this year.

Id wait for one of the other two to hit a hot run- DD already kind of is- then Id shop whoever nets a higher return.

How many goalies you start? Daily/weekly? 10 team goalies geberally have less value- but thats a little offset by the heavy weight of goalie cats (6-5 stat split makes goalie value MONSTROUS). Even for your tier 2 guy- DD or Talbot- Id likely want a very significant return. Again need to know how many starts and if its daily or weekly though (daily goalies have added value ftr as you can sneak in extra starts here and there- weekly slightly less as they become spot starts or injury insurance).

Do NOT move Vas with those cats... EVER.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Daily starts and only a max of 3 per week

Dobber Sports Monster

I would hold onto Vas and wait until one of Dubnyk or Talbot becomes of interest to someone. Maybe you have to settle for a low return for Elliott just to rid yourself of him. Whatever you do I think you should hold onto Vas...I doubt you can get one of the top superstars with him and he is gold this season...possible Vezina winner by the end of the year.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

There's not really a "sell high" on Vas because he's not just on a hot streak, he's a terrific goalie on the best team in the league. It would be a "sell normal" because this is who he is for the rest of the year and he will your best goaltender by a HUGE margin even if Tampa slows down a little later in the season.

I can tell you this, I have Vas on my team and with our settings he is the third highest scoring player in my entire league behind Stamkos and Kucherov. I'm not trading him for anybody. Goaltenders with that kind of fantasy value are far too hard to replace.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Prodigy

On a thread below this, I just took Kucherov for Vas... Straight up. Although we don’t have a L category for goalies.
    I have Duby as well along with Helleybuck, Rask and C.Anderson behind tho. But you’ve got solid goalies behind as well

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    There's not really a "sell high" on Vas because he's not just on a hot streak, he's a terrific goalie on the best team in the league. It would be a "sell normal" because this is who he is for the rest of the year and he will your best goaltender by a HUGE margin even if Tampa slows down a little later in the season.

I can tell you this, I have Vas on my team and with our settings he is the third highest scoring player in my entire league behind Stamkos and Kucherov. I'm not trading him for anybody. Goaltenders with that kind of fantasy value are far too hard to replace.
    Preach.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post

Its hard to argue that Vas isn't a sell high right now. He is on pace to start 69 games. If this is normal, he will end up with 60 wins. The current record is 48. How is Vas not classified as a sell high? It would be greatest season for a goaltender for all time. This is most definitely a hot streak. No two ways about it.

I'm not saying I would trade him, I probably would not. Just dont go an expect him to play 69 game season with 60 wins and 0.938 Sv%. Only one goalie who started more than 40 games ended up with 0.938 save percentage since 1990. That is Tim Thomas, but he only played 57 games. Hasek, one of the greatest goaltenders of all time, ended with 0.937 in 64 games. If you want to go back to 1971, Jacques Plante ended with a 0.944 with 40 starts. Lets's keep it in perpsective.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Its hard to argue that Vas isn't a sell high right now. He is on pace to start 69 games. If this is normal, he will end up with 60 wins. The current record is 48. How is Vas not classified as a sell high? It would be greatest season for a goaltender for all time. This is most definitely a hot streak. No two ways about it.

Lets's keep it in perpsective.
    I dont imagine its hard at all to argue. Here Ill give it a shot.

Just because someone is doing well does not instantly make them a "sell high". Today I think Vas is a reasonable bet to pace the league in wins and be a strong candidate for the vezina. Why on Gods green earth would you trade him in any one year format? Bear in mind this is a 6-5 spit league- goalies are worth more than 40% of the league scoring- again- why on earth would you trade the most dominant option out there? Thats not "selling high"- thats "selling away" your title shot. Im not sure it matters what his wins pro-rate too much when you can reasonably say today that theres an extremely good chance he comes in at number one at that category. Also on topic- are we at the point where we need to remind people he wont win 60? Im honestly just asking that part.

To me you just would not trade AO when he was in his absolutely dominant years because he just won you way too many categories- it was an unfair advantage. In this format- thats how Im classifying Vasilevskiy especially on the freight train that is Tampa this year. I would NOT have called this to start the year but theres very little evidence that hes going to turn into a pumpkin here.

So theres my argument. I would not consider Vas a sell high at all. Hes a complete non-sell. if you move him in a format like this youve made a mistake imho.

Dobber Sports Master

I already said I wouldn't sell him.... Sell high means to sell the player at an elevated value. Cashing in a player for a greater return than you would get otherwise. I have serious doubts the value of Vas can go up from here. His stats will normalize and his value will decrease. I am not advocating to trade him, but I am sure his value is close to the highest it will ever be. You dont always sell a player when he is at the peak of his value. Sometimes they are too valuable to your fantasy season. This definitely might be the case here. However, it cannot be denied its a hot streak, unless you are arguing he is the greatest goaltender to ever lace them up. He's on pace for the greatest season ever for a goaltender.

A can't-sell and a sell high are not mutually exclusive.

Sell high is a subjective measure.Will he sustain his current pace? No. He's due for a negative regression. But that doesn't mean he's a sell high. IMO a sell high is a player who is over achieving by a significant degree. Whether because of opportunity, ice time, or dumb luck. You want to ditch the player (or sell high) before the market corrects.

Vas is not that player imo. His value may be spiking but he's a very talented goalie on an even better team that only pads his floor. That's unique. Like Schneider is a very good goalie...on a less talented team. Vas has both talent and team. You don't want to readily trade away that combination of both talent and situation.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Dont move Vas- he'll win you a title this year.

Id wait for one of the other two to hit a hot run- DD already kind of is- then Id shop whoever nets a higher return.

How many goalies you start? Daily/weekly? 10 team goalies geberally have less value- but thats a little offset by the heavy weight of goalie cats (6-5 stat split makes goalie value MONSTROUS). Even for your tier 2 guy- DD or Talbot- Id likely want a very significant return. Again need to know how many starts and if its daily or weekly though (daily goalies have added value ftr as you can sneak in extra starts here and there- weekly slightly less as they become spot starts or injury insurance).

Do NOT move Vas with those cats... EVER.
    Agree with EMU on this one. Vas is the goalie I want this season. I underestimated him since they had Budaj as well but so far Vas is looking like a must own.