Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proposal Rick Nash rental cost

Dobber Sports Stud

Question Proposal Rick Nash rental cost

On the last year of his lengthy and expensive contract. He has really become a full ice complete player in his time with the Rangers.

While I am sure some teams want him, I suspect the Dobber community might have some interesting takes on what their teams would pay for the rental. Salary is probably not an issue as NY can absorb at least some of the remaining balance.

The hope in NY is that he returns to NY on a "discount" much like Shatenkirk, so this would most likely be a pure rental and not connected to an extension but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I reckon the Oil could use him. He has the speed to keep up with Connor thats for sure.

Maybe the Sharks could find the space and pair him up with his old centerman while in Switzerland Joe Thornton.

Or seeing how many former Rangers have ended up on the Lightning perhaps they make the move ?

Love to hear your serious thoughts
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Proposal Rick Nash rental cost

The Rangers would most likely need to retain 50% of his salary so that contenders can afford his cap hit. But if they do that, they can probably land a late 1st round pick and a decent prospect for him. Here are some examples from last season:
    Kevin Shattenkirk for 1st + Zachary Sanford [+ conditional 2nd but conditions were not met]
    Martin Hanzal for 1st + 2nd

Dobber Sports Titan

No salary retained: 1st
    Salary Retained: 1st + prospect/2nd rounder

The fact he can play the PK well could make him a serious interest on teams if he does well from now until February.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

The NY post has an article about the pending changes in NY

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/examin...nagh-sell-off/

Will they sell or buy going into the deadline ?
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    No salary retained: 1st
    Salary Retained: 1st + prospect/2nd rounder

The fact he can play the PK well could make him a serious interest on teams if he does well from now until February.
    if that's the case, they won't be able to trade him. NYR are a playoff team. They won't be sellers
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    if that's the case, they won't be able to trade him. NYR are a playoff team. They won't be sellers
    A "marginal" playoff team

My hunch is Nash is gone by the deadline, then returns to NY on a cheaper contract next season

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    One bad week at the wrong time makes the team a non-playoff team. Their GF:GA doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    One bad week at the wrong time makes the team a non-playoff team. Their GF:GA doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
    A large part of that ugly ratio is from the horrific start out of the gate. In fact the worst start in many decades.

7-3 over their last 10 including 2 road losses at Chicago and Columbus

they gave up 30 goals in the first 8 gp, thats 37 over the next 13 gp

trending in the right direction, but I think honestly they are not the upper echelon team they were a year or three ago

the article talks about selling McDonagh, which I think is stupid crazy. Rather moving the UFAs

Nash
    Holden
    Grabner

One of Graves/DeAngelo should be able to cover for Holden

They have a couple of wingers they can call on if/when Nash and Grabner go

Administrator

I personally would never give a 1st for Nash

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I personally would never give a 1st for Nash
    Just curious, how many of his games over the past 3 seasons have you seen ?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Just curious, how many of his games over the past 3 seasons have you seen ?
    I've never watched a hockey game in my life.

Dobber Sports Stud

yes me too. I started watching it back in 78 so I have quite a lot of mileage on the hockey skates...

If you don't want to answer the question I understand. I was simply interested in how many of Nash's games you had seen to come to the conclusion that you wouldn't pay a 1st rounder to get him.

I don't think thats too much to ask do you ?

Not looking to start a flame war, just wanted to know why you felt that way.

Based on watching him play just about every game in NY since his arrival I can tell you that he often the best player on the ice for NY.

So when someone says a 1st rounder is overpaying I want to know why.

Its the reason I come to places like Dobberhockey.

Administrator

yes me too. I started watching it back in 78 so I have quite a lot of mileage on the hockey skates...

If you don't want to answer the question I understand. I was simply interested in how many of Nash's games you had seen to come to the conclusion that you wouldn't pay a 1st rounder to get him.

I don't think thats too much to ask do you ?

Not looking to start a flame war, just wanted to know why you felt that way.

Based on watching him play just about every game in NY since his arrival I can tell you that he often the best player on the ice for NY.

So when someone says a 1st rounder is overpaying I want to know why.

Its the reason I come to places like Dobberhockey.
    You want to know why but you are doing so while trying to show off the size of your stick as a "game watcher" to discredit my opinion. Don't do that. Playing the game watcher card is a bad idea for two main reasons:

1) You've been watching since 1978. Good for you. If I find someone who has been watching the Rangers since 1976 wouldn't that discredit your opinion? If you missed a game last year and I find someone who watched all 82 games wouldn't that also discredit your opinion? My point: there's more people beyond just yourself that watch a lot of hockey.
    2) There's tons of biases that come with watching a lot of hockey, the most common being people who overvalue their favorite players/teams. You may or may not be one of those homers but you're acting like one in this thread.

Regarding how many games I've watched, I don't know. I don't keep a tick sheet because I don't use that number to thump my chest. I wouldn't pay a 1st for Nash because I don't want to disrupt the chemistry in my top-six to bring in a guy that constantly gives less than what is expected. He wouldn't make my team better in the playoffs which is what matters when trading for a rental player. I wouldn't pay that much but someone would for sure. I'll gladly let that person overpay and be wrong.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not sure why you are assuming there is mal intent in my request.

Its not a stick measuring contest, simply a request for your opinion. How hard is that ?

How many of Nash's games you have seen ?

I've seen the majority of them. Does that make my stick longer ? nope. I am not looking to score goals here just trying to better understand how you reach such a conclusion.

This isn't a zero sum game question. Can we be friends now ?

Administrator

Can we be friends now ?