Thread: Current season for the 2017 draft class

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Current season for the 2017 draft class

I figured now's a good time to check how the 2017 draft class is doing this season. You always want to see improvement from season to season, and because this is a fantasy hockey forum, we want to see improvement in their offensive numbers. So I checked the first 50 picks from the 2017 draft class and took their current numbers from EliteProspects, and compared them against their numbers from the previous season. For now, I only look at players who continue playing in the same league where they were a year ago, and also I removed anyone who has played less than 10 games this season (Tippett, Vilardi, Necas, Yamamoto, Poehling and Formenton are not here because of that). Here's the data.

There are actually four Finns leading the charge here! Well, of course it's easier for guys like Miro Heiskanen and Urho Vaakanainen to improve their numbers because they didn't score much last season because they were playing 'D' against men as 17-year-olds. But Heiskanen's numbers this season are very impressive no matter what. Aleksi Heponiemi and Henri Jokiharju are doing a great job in the Western Hockey League - those are great numbers, especially from players drafted late 1st / early 2nd round.

(By the way, "2017" here means the 2016-2017 season and "2018" means the 2017-2018 season.)

Below are the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 numbers side by side.

Heponiemi's season really stands out, doesn't it? Robert Thomas and Kole Lind are also standing out from this chart - both with nice improvement and both with over 1.5 points per game this season. Cody Glass and Nicholas Suzuki don't actually look so impressive here because they both set the bar so high with very strong age-17 seasons but their numbers are still very good despite them having "only" about 20% increase. Jason Robertson and Juuso Valimaki had very strong draft seasons but haven't really improved from that, so that's something to keep an eye on.

By the way, all three Vegas picks here (Glass, Suzuki and Nicolas Hague) with very nice numbers and nice improvement from last season as well. Those draft selections are looking very good for them.

I might post something about the players who moved from one league to another but perhaps not today. And if you guys want, I can provide an update to this later in the season when everyone has more games under their belt.

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Current season for the 2017 draft class

Now that is amazing stuff!!!
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Incredible work.

Man, I was hoping for more points for Erik Brannstrom. 4 points in 18 games isn’t ideal.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Stud

what a great post - thx JP!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Prodigy

what would your new top 10 look like if you would get to draft again for the 2017 class?
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Categories: G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO
    C - Crosby | Trocheck | Backstrom | Danault | Aho
    LW - Marchessault | Hertl
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    | Meier | Pavelski | Puljujarvi
    D - Ristolainen | Zadorov | C. Murphy
    | | Trouba | Edmundson | Giordano
    G -
    Fleury | Saros | Markström
    IR: Zucker
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Keppada View Post
    what would your new top 10 look like if you would get to draft again for the 2017 class?
    That's a difficult question. I wouldn't make too drastic changes based on just a couple of months of hockey but Eeli Tolvanen is definitely one guy who would find himself on my top-10 at this point. I think I had him at #19 in the summer but I don't have similar concerns about him anymore.

The two NHL players (Hischier and Patrick) would stay at the top but depending on the day, I could easily have any of Pettersson, Glass, Suzuki, Mittelstadt, Tippett or Tolvanen at #3. I think they all have a good chance to play in the NHL next season, although I'm hoping Pettersson gets another season to add muscle before he plays.

And for the final two spots, it could be any of Heiskanen, Makar, Yamamoto, Vilardi or Chytil. League stats, positional needs and personal preference could very easily come into play when ranking them. Heiskanen is likely to play in the NHL next season, and Yamamoto and Chytil could do the same (although Yamamoto is AHL eligible next season and could start there). Vilardi and Makar probably need a bit more time but their upside remains very high.

Kostin, Necas, Rasmussen, Andersson, Liljegren and Valimaki are also players who could play in the NHL sooner rather than later, so I guess they deserve some top-10 consideration as well.

The 2017 draft doesn't look so bad now, does it? It didn't have elite talent at the top but there are at least 20 very good prospects in it. Of course it will take years before we really know how good or bad the draft class was but right now it's looking pretty good.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for this info, its greatly appreciated!
    18T-Roto(13/yr)
    Sal:$1000
    PPG,PPA,G,A,PTS,SOG,PIM,+/-,GAA,S,S%,W
    F-Keller(42)Larkin(70)Zibanejed(102)Dvorak(20)RNH(11 4)Zacha(20)Seguin(20)PKane(220)Trochek(40)
    D-Theodore(20)TSmith(20)Hronek(38)Giordano(82)Lundkv ist(1)
    G-Shesterkin(20)
    R-MAF(20)Meier(29)Backstrom(1)Krebs(1)Radulov(75)Per unovich(1)
    16T-H2H(16/yr)
    Sal:$300
    A5 G5 DG5 GWG10 PIM1 PPP5 SHOG5 SOG1
    GA-5 L-7 S1 W10
    C-Barkov(65)Kuznetsov(15)Petterssen(8)
    LW-Ehlers(27)Panarin(27)Raymond(1)
    RW-Konecny(9)Hoffman(14)Kempe(1)
    D-Werenski(17)Klinger(46)Girard(8)TSmith(1)Yandle(22 )
    G-Saros(6)
    R-Turcotte(1)Holtz(1)Bean(1)Norris(5)Comtois(5)Roman ov(5)Addison(1)WEklund(1)