Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Proposal] Bennett for Galchenyuk

Dobber Sports Expert

Default [Proposal] Bennett for Galchenyuk

I know it's been mentioned a bit on these forums. Would just like to hear more discussion on what you think would make this work. Obviously both need a change of scenery. And this does seem like a good fit for both. But salary issues would come into play with Gally making 2.5 to 3m more.
    I think Habs fans would love this. Not so sure about Flames fans.

Thoughts on everything?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [Proposal] Bennett for Galchenyuk

I don't believe either team would do this deal, to be honest.

Dobber Sports Stud

The numbers would indicate that Calgary has to add something to the mix for Montreal to make that kind of move.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

Montreal can say Galchenyuk at least has a 30G season under his young belt. Calgary has nothing to say about Bennett.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Would like to see Calgary add a little something but if this trade happened straight across I could live with it. Still think Bennett could turn it around, just needs a change of scenery imo.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    The numbers would indicate that Calgary has to add something to the mix for Montreal to make that kind of move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Montreal can say Galchenyuk at least has a 30G season under his young belt. Calgary has nothing to say about Bennett.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Would like to see Calgary add a little something but if this trade happened straight across I could live with it. Still think Bennett could turn it around, just needs a change of scenery imo.
    You wish. Maybe if Chiarelli was the GM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Yeah, no way Montreal trades Galchenyuk for Bennett straight up. There's absolutely no benefit for Montreal in this deal.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Would Calgary have to add? I dunno. Obviously Canadians fans overvalue Galchenyuk and Flames fans overvalue Bennett, but do the management teams? Galchenyuk makes $4.9 million and is a UFA at the end of his contract. That’s an expensive risk, both in cap space (if Galchenyuk doesn’t turn it around) and assets (if Galchenyuk doesn’t want to stick around). Bennett is a $1.95 and an RFA when that contract expires. Montreal could sell Galchenyuk as a potential 30 goal scorer, Calgary could sell Bennett as having a very similar first two seasons to Galchenyuk (arguably better, since he scored more goals and points). I’m really not sure about their possession stats, but that’s also hard to judge since Bennett has spent a large portion of his career hampered by the anchor that is Brouwer. Calgary could argue Galchenyuk is more injury prone, Montreal could argue Bennett hasn’t really taken a step this year.

Would Calgary have to add? Maybe, I dunno. Not much I don’t think.

Like I said. Honestly I don’t think either team would do the deal. Most teams would rather gamble with the player they know than the player they don’t.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Yeah, no way Montreal trades Galchenyuk for Bennett straight up. There's absolutely no benefit for Montreal in this deal.
    Yes there is Newf. Not only would the Habs would gain cap space but more importantly they would gain number of years the player is under club control. I am not speaking the players themselves, but to their contractual obligations.

Making the assumption that Alex Galchenyuk is likely* not going to sign with Montreal when his 3 year x $4.9M contract expires in 2020 the Canadiens have Galychenyuk for the balance of this season and all of next before he is playing out the final year. Holding that contract then means the Habs are in a spot where they need to sign or trade Galchenyuk, or risky a 26 (then) year old asset walk away starting July 1, 2019. This is only 19 months away.

Sam Bennett is playing under year four of his rights being exclusivly held by the Calgary Flames. Recall the 2014-15 season where he played the final game of the season then 11 playoff games (and the CBC annoucer repeated ad nauseam refering to his as "18 year old Sam Bennett") which burnt a year of his entry level contract. He is under contract for the next two season at $1.9M per season. This contract was signed in early September of this season after a long summer stand-off. When Bennett's current contract ends in 2019 he will still have two seasons remaining as a RFA.

Should this imaginary trade propasal go down the Habs would have the asset of Bennett for at least four years (this season included) with the likelyhood* that the contract he signs after this current two year deal will be longer than simply the two final RFA years.

*based on current assumptions that you may or may not agree with.

Great discussion post Black Panther!

[[[ If my understanding of how many years a player is under club control aftering being drafted is not correct please don't hesitate to set it straight.]]]
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

The way Burke has talked about Bennett recently I don't think he's in a major hurry to move him. But he's willing to if the right deal comes around.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

The Flames would never do this deal, even if at this point in the respective careers Galchenyuk appears to be the better player. He's had far better line mates and opportunities than Bennett, who for some reason has been saddled with bottom-six pluggers for most of this career. The Flames did not treat Gaudreau and Monahan this way.

Besides, the Flames already have the best player from the 2012 draft:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/930264414887976961

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    he works hard
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he works hard
    He better. He's in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The way Burke has talked about Bennett recently I don't think he's in a major hurry to move him. But he's willing to if the right deal comes around.
    Brad Treliving is the GM of the Calgary Flames, not Brian Burke. Brian Burke has very little influence in the player personnel department of the Calgary Flames. The team construction and recent draft history makes this very clear.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Bennett has been given oodles of opportunities to play with better linemates.
    And he keeps losing them because he's not producing. There's nobody to blame but himself.
    That's simply not true. Other then he hasn't gelled well with Gaudreau with the relatively short period of time in which they played together, Bennett has consistently put up with bottom six line mates and limited PP time.