Thread: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

I took the most recent rankings from four sources - HockeyProspects, Future Considerations, McKeen's Hockey and ISS - and calculated average ranking for all players. All data is taken from EliteProspects because they have it all neatly in one place with same formatting to make life easier.

Everyone has Rasmus Dahlin going 1st overall and Andrei Svechnikov going 2nd, and it would probably take something significant to see any changes to that. These two seem to be on a different level compared to the rest. Adam Boqvist, Brady Tkachuk and Filip Zadina fill out the top-5 pretty clearly, and these three seem to be separating themselves from the competition for those coveted top-5 selections. All five have very high fantasy hockey upside as well.

Quinn Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom are coming next and seem to be making a case to become top-10 picks next summer. Joseph Veleno being ranked in the top-8 by three sources but HockeyProspects not having him in their top-20 is very interesting. I can see Ty Smith being a top-10 pick as well but Rasmus Kupari is a player who could fall a bit from where he's ranked right now. I believe he's still going to be a 1st round pick but probably not a top-10 pick.

I left out players who were missing from one or more of the rankings, so a few notes about those guys as well:
    - Akil Thomas (from #11 to #19) and Benoit-Olivier Groulx (from #15 to #19) were ranked in the top-20 by three sources but HockeyProspects didn't have them in their top-31
    - Grigori Denisenko was ranked in the top-25 (from #10 to #24) by three sources but McKeen's Hockey didn't have him in their top-31
    - Jesperi Kotkaniemi was ranked in the top-25 (from #12 to #25) by three sources but ISS didn't have him in their top-31
    - Barrett Hayton (from #16 to #25) and Jacob Olofsson (from #20 to #26) were ranked by three sources but Future Considerations didn't have them in their top-31
    - Evan Bouchard was ranked #16 by ISS and Future Considerations but HockeyProspects and McKeen's Hockey didn't have him in their top-31

Other high rankings who didn't make the cut:
    - Mattias Samuelsson ranked #13 by HockeyProspects
    - K'Andre Miller ranked #14 by HockeyProspects
    - Calen Addison ranked #17 by HockeyProspects
    - Riley Sutter ranked #17 by ISS
    GDHL - 20 teams, H2H Salary Cap Dynasty @ Fantrax
    23 pro, 33 ML players / G,A,Pts,STP,Tk,Hits,Blk,TOI-SH, W,Sv,SV%,GAA

WHL - 24 teams, H2H points Salary Cap Keeper @ Fantrax
    25 pro, 10 ML players / G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

VHL - 20 teams, H2H Salary Cap Dynasty @ Fantrax
    22 pro, 30 ML players / G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,Hit,Blk,PIM,FO%, W,Sv,SV%,GAA,SHO

https://twitter.com/JokkeNevalainen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Cmon Detroit...start sucking now and just get a high pick.

Rep to JP for the post.
    12 team H2H, Keep 8
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C:Crosby,Giroux,Carter,ROR,Horvat
    LW:Ovie,Hall,Kreider,Guentzel,Lee
    RW:Pavelski,Simmonds,Okposo,Lindholm,Palmieri
    D:Carlson,Dumba,Fowler,Faulk
    G: Lundqvist,Crawford,Elliot

10 team Yearly H2H
    G,A,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blks
    W,L,GAA,SV%,SO

C:McDavid,Monahan,MacK
    LW:Schenn,Zberg,Rakell,Lee
    RW:Seguin,Wheeler, Larkin
    D:Letang,AP,Zaitsev
    G:Talbot,Vas,Dubnyk,Elliot
    IR:Nino,Carter

Dobber Sports Master

Rep from me too--this is great stuff!
    Thanks.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Hall, Pacioretty, Couture, Johansen, O'Reilly, Nichushkin, E. Lindholm, W. Nylander, Burakovsky, Hoffman, Pavelski, Eberle, E. Kane, Mi. Granlund, D. Sedin, H. Sedin, O'Regan, Weal, Arvidsson

Defense: Gostisbehere, OEL, Hamilton, Josi, Krug, Goligoski, Pietrangelo

Goal: Holtby, Darling, Lundqvist

Farm: Dunn, Svechnikov, Borgstrom, Girard, Kamenev

Dobber Sports Genius

Craig Button just released his latest "Craig's List", so I compared his list with this average ranking. Here are the biggest outliers.

Ty Smith was ranked #8 on average but Button has him #18
    Joseph Veleno was ranked #9 on average but Button has him #25
    Jared McIsaac was ranked #12 on average but Button has him #19

Bode Wilde was ranked #14 on average but Button has him #6
    No other ranking had Barrett Hayton in their top-15 but Button has him #9
    No other ranking had Filip Hallander in their top-31 but Button has him #23

I know some people don't respect Button's rankings but I do, so this is interesting to watch and follow throughout the season.

Even Button has the same top-5 as most other rankings but him ranking Adam Boqvist over Andrei Svechnikov is definitely another outlier.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rep for me too. Very good information Jouko-Pouko. Will you say that you will rank them differently for a keeper non position points only?

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great resource JP - thanks for posting. Rep to you

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Still learning View Post
    Rep for me too. Very good information Jouko-Pouko. Will you say that you will rank them differently for a keeper non position points only?

Thanks in advance.
    At least for me, it's too early to make fantasy hockey rankings. But at least the first 5 prospects from the first chart will be very good fantasy hockey players as well, so I'm not sure if anyone can overtake them for fantasy hockey purposes either. And the 3 players ranked after them are very good offensive players as well. Veleno is the first question mark on that list for fantasy hockey purposes - he'll most likely end up being a very good NHL player but his offensive upside is still a question mark.

Although Ryan Merkley could end up being one of the best fantasy hockey players from this draft if he can improve his play without the puck enough to actually become an impact player at the NHL level. High risk, high reward type of prospect.

Dobber Sports Star

players born in 2ooo

anyone else feel old lol ?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Great summary. I've been doing this the last 3 years in my leagues - using info collected at mynhldraft.com.
    As I pay for a subscription over at theathletic, I'll convey some information from there.

One reputable guy that used to work at McKeen's' has them as follows (on Oct 27):
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Hughes
    4. Zadina
    5. Merkley
    6. Boqvist

7. T.Smith
    8. Tkachuk
    9. Wahlstrom
    10. Wilde
    11. Veleno
    12. Lundestrom
    13. Kotkaniemi
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. Bouchard
    (End of a Tier)

Another very reputable guru of the junior world had them (on Sept 26) as:
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Merkley
    4. Hughes
    5. Boqvist

6. Veleno
    7. Tkachuk
    8. Wahlstrom
    9. Zadina
    10. T.Smith
    11. Kupari
    12. McIsaac
    13. Khovanov
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. McBain
    17. Denisenko
    18. Hayton
    19. Woo
    20. Lundestrom

I think this is a great way of sorting prospects - and fantasy football folk have been using collective ranks (fantasypros) for a few years now.
    One interesting method would be to throw out the "high" and the "low" for a player - as sometimes one person's love/hate for a prospects can skew rankings.

It's a very interesting draft for us "fantasy" folk because of the following:
    One of the persons above calls this draft "an average draft class" but also states that it is "arguably the strongest crop of defensemen since 2008".

So... in fantasy leagues that cater to scoring (& forwards), it could leave a little to be desired if the D-man is more of a stay-at-home rock.
    Though, from my reading, many of these defensemen (Hughes, Boqvist, Merkley, T.Smith) are smaller guys (<6'), excellent skaters and future PP-style possession D-men.
    https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great summary. I've been doing this the last 3 years in my leagues - using info collected at mynhldraft.com.
    As I pay for a subscription over at theathletic, I'll convey some information from there.

One reputable guy that used to work at McKeen's' has them as follows (on Oct 27):
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Hughes
    4. Zadina
    5. Merkley
    6. Boqvist

7. T.Smith
    8. Tkachuk
    9. Wahlstrom
    10. Wilde
    11. Veleno
    12. Lundestrom
    13. Kotkaniemi
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. Bouchard
    (End of a Tier)

Another very reputable guru of the junior world had them (on Sept 26) as:
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Merkley
    4. Hughes
    5. Boqvist

6. Veleno
    7. Tkachuk
    8. Wahlstrom
    9. Zadina
    10. T.Smith
    11. Kupari
    12. McIsaac
    13. Khovanov
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. McBain
    17. Denisenko
    18. Hayton
    19. Woo
    20. Lundestrom

I think this is a great way of sorting prospects - and fantasy football folk have been using collective ranks (fantasypros) for a few years now.
    One interesting method would be to throw out the "high" and the "low" for a player - as sometimes one person's love/hate for a prospects can skew rankings.

It's a very interesting draft for us "fantasy" folk because of the following:
    One of the persons above calls this draft "an average draft class" but also states that it is "arguably the strongest crop of defensemen since 2008".

So... in fantasy leagues that cater to scoring (& forwards), it could leave a little to be desired if the D-man is more of a stay-at-home rock.
    Though, from my reading, many of these defensemen (Hughes, Boqvist, Merkley, T.Smith) are smaller guys (<6'), excellent skaters and future PP-style possession D-men.
    Yes, I think you're absolutely right about this draft class being full of smaller, puck-moving D-men. It also has some very good wingers but I'm not sure if there are any 1st line centers in the group. But considering the 2017 was pretty full of potential 1st line centers, that's probably not so bad after all.

Those two guys seem to be really high on Merkley, having him #3 and #5 on their rankings. I don't remember anyone else having him that high.