Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

I took the most recent rankings from four sources - HockeyProspects, Future Considerations, McKeen's Hockey and ISS - and calculated average ranking for all players. All data is taken from EliteProspects because they have it all neatly in one place with same formatting to make life easier.

Everyone has Rasmus Dahlin going 1st overall and Andrei Svechnikov going 2nd, and it would probably take something significant to see any changes to that. These two seem to be on a different level compared to the rest. Adam Boqvist, Brady Tkachuk and Filip Zadina fill out the top-5 pretty clearly, and these three seem to be separating themselves from the competition for those coveted top-5 selections. All five have very high fantasy hockey upside as well.

Quinn Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom are coming next and seem to be making a case to become top-10 picks next summer. Joseph Veleno being ranked in the top-8 by three sources but HockeyProspects not having him in their top-20 is very interesting. I can see Ty Smith being a top-10 pick as well but Rasmus Kupari is a player who could fall a bit from where he's ranked right now. I believe he's still going to be a 1st round pick but probably not a top-10 pick.

I left out players who were missing from one or more of the rankings, so a few notes about those guys as well:
    - Akil Thomas (from #11 to #19) and Benoit-Olivier Groulx (from #15 to #19) were ranked in the top-20 by three sources but HockeyProspects didn't have them in their top-31
    - Grigori Denisenko was ranked in the top-25 (from #10 to #24) by three sources but McKeen's Hockey didn't have him in their top-31
    - Jesperi Kotkaniemi was ranked in the top-25 (from #12 to #25) by three sources but ISS didn't have him in their top-31
    - Barrett Hayton (from #16 to #25) and Jacob Olofsson (from #20 to #26) were ranked by three sources but Future Considerations didn't have them in their top-31
    - Evan Bouchard was ranked #16 by ISS and Future Considerations but HockeyProspects and McKeen's Hockey didn't have him in their top-31

Other high rankings who didn't make the cut:
    - Mattias Samuelsson ranked #13 by HockeyProspects
    - K'Andre Miller ranked #14 by HockeyProspects
    - Calen Addison ranked #17 by HockeyProspects
    - Riley Sutter ranked #17 by ISS

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Consolidated 2018 NHL draft rankings

Cmon Detroit...start sucking now and just get a high pick.

Rep to JP for the post.

Dobber Sports Guru

Rep from me too--this is great stuff!
    Thanks.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Wizard

Craig Button just released his latest "Craig's List", so I compared his list with this average ranking. Here are the biggest outliers.

Ty Smith was ranked #8 on average but Button has him #18
    Joseph Veleno was ranked #9 on average but Button has him #25
    Jared McIsaac was ranked #12 on average but Button has him #19

Bode Wilde was ranked #14 on average but Button has him #6
    No other ranking had Barrett Hayton in their top-15 but Button has him #9
    No other ranking had Filip Hallander in their top-31 but Button has him #23

I know some people don't respect Button's rankings but I do, so this is interesting to watch and follow throughout the season.

Even Button has the same top-5 as most other rankings but him ranking Adam Boqvist over Andrei Svechnikov is definitely another outlier.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rep for me too. Very good information Jouko-Pouko. Will you say that you will rank them differently for a keeper non position points only?

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Stud

Great resource JP - thanks for posting. Rep to you
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Still learning View Post
    Rep for me too. Very good information Jouko-Pouko. Will you say that you will rank them differently for a keeper non position points only?

Thanks in advance.
    At least for me, it's too early to make fantasy hockey rankings. But at least the first 5 prospects from the first chart will be very good fantasy hockey players as well, so I'm not sure if anyone can overtake them for fantasy hockey purposes either. And the 3 players ranked after them are very good offensive players as well. Veleno is the first question mark on that list for fantasy hockey purposes - he'll most likely end up being a very good NHL player but his offensive upside is still a question mark.

Although Ryan Merkley could end up being one of the best fantasy hockey players from this draft if he can improve his play without the puck enough to actually become an impact player at the NHL level. High risk, high reward type of prospect.

Dobber Sports Master

players born in 2ooo

anyone else feel old lol ?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great summary. I've been doing this the last 3 years in my leagues - using info collected at mynhldraft.com.
    As I pay for a subscription over at theathletic, I'll convey some information from there.

One reputable guy that used to work at McKeen's' has them as follows (on Oct 27):
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Hughes
    4. Zadina
    5. Merkley
    6. Boqvist

7. T.Smith
    8. Tkachuk
    9. Wahlstrom
    10. Wilde
    11. Veleno
    12. Lundestrom
    13. Kotkaniemi
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. Bouchard
    (End of a Tier)

Another very reputable guru of the junior world had them (on Sept 26) as:
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Merkley
    4. Hughes
    5. Boqvist

6. Veleno
    7. Tkachuk
    8. Wahlstrom
    9. Zadina
    10. T.Smith
    11. Kupari
    12. McIsaac
    13. Khovanov
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. McBain
    17. Denisenko
    18. Hayton
    19. Woo
    20. Lundestrom

I think this is a great way of sorting prospects - and fantasy football folk have been using collective ranks (fantasypros) for a few years now.
    One interesting method would be to throw out the "high" and the "low" for a player - as sometimes one person's love/hate for a prospects can skew rankings.

It's a very interesting draft for us "fantasy" folk because of the following:
    One of the persons above calls this draft "an average draft class" but also states that it is "arguably the strongest crop of defensemen since 2008".

So... in fantasy leagues that cater to scoring (& forwards), it could leave a little to be desired if the D-man is more of a stay-at-home rock.
    Though, from my reading, many of these defensemen (Hughes, Boqvist, Merkley, T.Smith) are smaller guys (<6'), excellent skaters and future PP-style possession D-men.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great summary. I've been doing this the last 3 years in my leagues - using info collected at mynhldraft.com.
    As I pay for a subscription over at theathletic, I'll convey some information from there.

One reputable guy that used to work at McKeen's' has them as follows (on Oct 27):
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Hughes
    4. Zadina
    5. Merkley
    6. Boqvist

7. T.Smith
    8. Tkachuk
    9. Wahlstrom
    10. Wilde
    11. Veleno
    12. Lundestrom
    13. Kotkaniemi
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. Bouchard
    (End of a Tier)

Another very reputable guru of the junior world had them (on Sept 26) as:
    1. Dahlin
    2. Svechnikov
    3. Merkley
    4. Hughes
    5. Boqvist

6. Veleno
    7. Tkachuk
    8. Wahlstrom
    9. Zadina
    10. T.Smith
    11. Kupari
    12. McIsaac
    13. Khovanov
    14. Farabee
    15. Addison
    16. McBain
    17. Denisenko
    18. Hayton
    19. Woo
    20. Lundestrom

I think this is a great way of sorting prospects - and fantasy football folk have been using collective ranks (fantasypros) for a few years now.
    One interesting method would be to throw out the "high" and the "low" for a player - as sometimes one person's love/hate for a prospects can skew rankings.

It's a very interesting draft for us "fantasy" folk because of the following:
    One of the persons above calls this draft "an average draft class" but also states that it is "arguably the strongest crop of defensemen since 2008".

So... in fantasy leagues that cater to scoring (& forwards), it could leave a little to be desired if the D-man is more of a stay-at-home rock.
    Though, from my reading, many of these defensemen (Hughes, Boqvist, Merkley, T.Smith) are smaller guys (<6'), excellent skaters and future PP-style possession D-men.
    Yes, I think you're absolutely right about this draft class being full of smaller, puck-moving D-men. It also has some very good wingers but I'm not sure if there are any 1st line centers in the group. But considering the 2017 was pretty full of potential 1st line centers, that's probably not so bad after all.

Those two guys seem to be really high on Merkley, having him #3 and #5 on their rankings. I don't remember anyone else having him that high.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Will Scouch, one of the writers at DobberProspects, is frequently updating his average draft rankings on his Twitter account @Scouching, so I won't be making my own anymore but instead I'll post his most recent one here. This one is from today after ISS released their newest rankings.

Will Scouch‏ @Scouching
    Here's how a bunch of rankings look with stdevs. Still looking like a safe Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina 1-2-3. Between Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hughes and Wahlstrom, anything goes. Smith, Dobson, Farabee, Veleno, Kupari and Wilde look like the next group.
    Dominik Bokk falling to the 2nd seems unlikely since his trajectory seems very positive, whereas Jett Woo is falling due to injuries and a slow middle part of the year. Is he still my favourite boi? Yep.

I like the order in the Top 5 now, I think that's reasonable all things considered.

Two players who have been moving up all season long are Evan Bouchard (#14) and Dominik Bokk (#25). I think Bouchard might end up in that #6 to #10 range, and Bokk could find his way to the Top 15 as well. And I guess Noah Dobson (#9) is another one who has been steadily rising.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Thanks for doing this! This is awesome.

Where are the Canadians? Could this year be the lowest ever that the first Canadian born player is drafted?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Where are the Canadians? Could this year be the lowest ever that the first Canadian born player is drafted?
    Four players in the Top 14 is not bad... Even when the highest one is just #8. It's difficult to see any of them cracking the Top 5.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Updated average ranking from Will Scouch @Scouching

Dobber Sports Wizard

Here's an updated chart from Will Scouch @Scouching

Now that the @ISShockey and @ScoutingService have updated their rankings, here's how the top 31 looks on average with standard deviations. Once the year ends, I'll get access to expanded rankings to make this even more accurate.

You're looking at a pretty firm group up top now. Dahlin almost certainly #1. Svech/Zadina are borderline interchangable, and Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hughes and Wahlstrom all in the next group.

Bouchard, Smith, Dobson, Farabee, Veleno, Wilde, Kupari and Kotkaniemi are in the next group, but it's very loose from 8 onwards.