Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    But yet, it's the Edmonton way.

I still like the idea of changing out an asst coach to try and help the special teams at the very least. And for the record, I also think McLellan is a good coach, but good coaches get let go all the time.
    It will be an assistant. Doubt they go with anything bigger than that right now.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Adam Oates coming in as an option as an asst.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It's mind boggling how every possible excuse is being thrown out aside from blaming Chiarelli.

He went all in to make the playoffs last season, and the negative consequences are showing much earlier than even I expected. I assumed they would still be a playoff team this season but fall hard the following 3 years minimum as they struggle to field a team with good depth with all the expensive contracts on the team.

Chiarelli is terrible at cap management. And for every trade he wins he'll lose 2 or 3. He's riding off McDavid just as Bergevin did with Price. It would be a shame if he wastes McDavid's prime years like was done with Price, I still can't believe the Habs never won a cup with by far the best goalie in the planet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Oh it’s quite obviously Chiarelli’s fault. But the next Oilers fan I see admit Edmonton did so well last year because of McDavid and Talbot going beast mode all season and not because of Chiarelli’s “other moves” will be the first.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    It's mind boggling how every possible excuse is being thrown out aside from blaming Chiarelli.

He went all in to make the playoffs last season, and the negative consequences are showing much earlier than even I expected. I assumed they would still be a playoff team this season but fall hard the following 3 years minimum as they struggle to field a team with good depth with all the expensive contracts on the team.

Chiarelli is terrible at cap management. And for every trade he wins he'll lose 2 or 3. He's riding off McDavid just as Bergevin did with Price. It would be a shame if he wastes McDavid's prime years like was done with Price, I still can't believe the Habs never won a cup with by far the best goalie in the planet.
    I completely agree with you but firing the GM mid-season doesn't give them any immediate help for this season - that's why I think firing a coach makes more sense.

It definitely wouldn't hurt them to find another GM but that's probably something they should do after the season is over and before the draft.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Oh it?s quite obviously Chiarelli?s fault. But the next Oilers fan I see admit Edmonton did so well last year because of McDavid and Talbot going beast mode all season and not because of Chiarelli?s ?other moves? will be the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post

Anyways, teams a mess. But its fixable. We just need Connor and Talbot to be the 2 best players in the world in there position again. Not asking too much?
    I said this over a week ago. What do I win?

Its always the same 3 vocal Oilers haters having these discussions. Its kind of weird guys. Obsessed?
    Not you Jouko....they know who they are
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I wonder of the Oilers could get a bonafide LW to help balance that top line with McDavid/Draisatl ... maybe for a big Stay at home Defenceman?

wait what?

Never mind.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Still lots of hockey to play but I'd say if they don't get their shit together within the next 10 games the gap may become insurmountable.

Way too much parity in today's NHL to overcome such a huge early deficit.

Dobber Sports Icon

The Oilers have not been very good this year but they have the potential to be much better. They have been missing their #2 dman all year and they have also been missing 2 of their 8 best wingers for most of the year. With all that said, they are currently 4 points out of a playoff spot. Let me repeat that, they are 4 points out of a playoff spot.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The Oilers have not been very good this year but they have the potential to be much better. They have been missing their #2 dman all year and they have also been missing 2 of their 8 best wingers for most of the year. With all that said, they are currently 4 points out of a playoff spot. Let me repeat that, they are 4 points out of a playoff spot.
    Like I said before, while like most teams they still need some tinkering, being young growing pains are expected. The Islander, Oiler dynasties etc went through it b4 becoming great.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Exactly.
    This is being way overblown. They are having some bad puck luck so far this year, and the trend will turn.
    The Oilers WILL make the playoffs. The underlying numbers actually suggest they've played very well this season. Process is fine. Results are tricky sometimes.
    The underlying everyone but McDavid numbers suggest that they get a Karlsson-type bump from McDavid (expected) and everyone else is playing mediocre, actually.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    TOI for Oilers last yr:
    Talbot - 4294
    Oscar Klefbom - 1834
    McDavid - 1733
    Sekera - 1719

Last I checked Talbot is a goalie, and McDavid is a centre. So Sekera is the 2nd leader in minutes among defensemen in Edmonton. He?s a top 2 even for the team last yr. This yr he'd be 3 behind Larsson (who was 1592 last yr).

To say Sekera isn't a big deal to lose is not factual. He was 5th in point share on the team (7.3) behind Klefbom, Draisaitl, McDavid and Talbot. That's a big person to lose.
    Damn, so the Oilers traded a top line LW for a #3 Dman? Yikes!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    With all that said, they are currently 4 points out of a playoff spot. Let me repeat that, they are 4 points out of a playoff spot.
    Oh for Christ's sake, everyone's been making such a fuss and the Oilers are only 4 points back of a playoff spot in NOVEMBER!? I know they haven't been very good for most of the year so far, but 4 points!? Those greasy Oilers will have a partner when the dance cards are filled out for the post season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Oh for Christ's sake, everyone's been making such a fuss and the Oilers are only 4 points back of a playoff spot in NOVEMBER!? I know they haven't been very good for most of the year so far, but 4 points!? Those greasy Oilers will have a partner when the dance cards are filled out for the post season.
    There was this little observation by Elliot Friedman a few years back:
    " just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 "
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    There was this little observation by Elliot Friedman a few years back:
    " just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 "
    Interesting. I'm sure it's even tougher now than during that stretch due to more parity. That being said, I think they will pull it off.