Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At this point, I agree. A change in the coaching is needed. The players aren't getting it done.
    I don't agree.....if anyone should be on the hot seat, it's Chiarelli, but no changes will be made. After blowing though a coach per season for so many years, this team finally has some coaching stability. McLellan is a very good NHL coach, this team was fantastic at special teams last season. It's on the players for underachieving and not getting it done, as well as Chiarelli for his offseason.

Dobber Sports Deity

Getting rid of Chiarelli at this point won't turn their current situation around. A new coach very well could.

As I said earlier, it's still early and plenty of time to turn it around, but something has to change.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Getting rid of Chiarelli at this point won't turn their current situation around. A new coach very well could.

As I said earlier, it's still early and plenty of time to turn it around, but something has to change.
    True, I guess I'm looking at the long game....I don't know of any coaches available that better/more proven options than McLellan, and don't think firing the coach to shake up the team and try to salvage this season is worth it long term. I'm not saying that a GM change is needed either, just that I think the state of this season falls on his lap more than McLellan's. Ultimately, it's the players themselves that have put us in this spot: Talbot off to a brutal start, and only 3-4 players consistently bringing their A-game. Doesn't matter who the coach is, can't win consistently if that is the case.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    A post-stroke Ron Wilson is available... Best coach in the world (just ask him).

I think the Oilers will be fine.
    Life without Sekera is harder than they expected it to be. But he'll be back soon enough. And the scoring depth issues will be resolved when guys like Nuge and Strome step up.
    Sekera will make a significant difference, but I'm not sure Strome is capable of stepping up unless they put him on McDavid's line. He's getting even less quality ice time than he did with the Islanders and his numbers speak to that. He's not a rain maker - he's a complementary player that needs to be paired with a stud to be useful.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    A post-stroke Ron Wilson is available... Best coach in the world (just ask him).

I think the Oilers will be fine.
    Life without Sekera is harder than they expected it to be. But he'll be back soon enough. And the scoring depth issues will be resolved when guys like Nuge and Strome step up.
    Nuge is already on a 60+ pt pace. Not sure what else you expect him to do.

They do miss Sekera but we all knew that. Well, at least the Oilers fans did.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

You guys can't be serious.

If Sekera is the main reason for there terrible start, then you have to pay him the same as McDavid or Draisaitl at least or more. Is he really worth that much? I didn't realize this guy could kill penalties and quarterback the power play when only playing 21 minutes a game. He has been there for 2 years and all we have heard is how much they need a defenceman.

Sekera is a non issue. He won't make an ounce of difference if he plays or not in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    You guys can't be serious.

If Sekera is the main reason for there terrible start, then you have to pay him the same as McDavid or Draisaitl at least or more. Is he really worth that much? I didn't realize this guy could kill penalties and quarterback the power play when only playing 21 minutes a game. He has been there for 2 years and all we have heard is how much they need a defenceman.

Sekera is a non issue. He won't make an ounce of difference if he plays or not in my opinion.
    Yeah, losing a top-4 veteran d-man that plays 20+ minutes including special teams wouldn't make an ounce of difference for any team.....smh. He is not THE reason for this start, but is a contributing factor to be sure. Saying he's a non-factor is a nonsensical statement.

Dobber Sports Pro

This is a bad take. For obvious reasons.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Taco97 View Post
    Yeah, losing a top-4 veteran d-man that plays 20+ minutes including special teams wouldn't make an ounce of difference for any team.....smh. He is not THE reason for this start, but is a contributing factor to be sure. Saying he's a non-factor is a nonsensical statement.
    Have to disagree. He was on the 2nd PP unit. He is a 3-4 defenseman, not a top 2. It's not like Chicago missing Duncan Keith, LA missing Drew Doughty or Ottawa missing Erik Karlsson, (although they have and stepped it up without him), where a team could use that as an excuse. No not the main reason, nor A reason for where they are. It is way above that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Have to disagree. He was on the 2nd PP unit. He is a 3-4 defenseman, not a top 2. It's not like Chicago missing Duncan Keith, LA missing Drew Doughty or Ottawa missing Erik Karlsson, (although they have and stepped it up without him), where a team could use that as an excuse. No not the main reason, nor A reason for where they are. It is way above that.
    In Edmonton, he's a top 2 Dman. You may think he's a 3-4, but in Edmonton, that is not the case. Sure he doesnt play PP1, but he is a monster for them out there 5 on 5.

I respect your opinion on many things but you need to watch a few more Oilers games to realize his importance to the team.

Dobber Sports Pro

I dont think Sekera is some highly underrated dman, hes solid, but the mere fact that his return would remove Gryba from the lineup is a huge improvement to the team.
    Cutting back Klefbom's minutes will help too. Sekera was the Oilers #1 PP guy for much of the year last season, Klefbom took over later on, there PP-TOI is almost identical.

By no means is Sekera's absence the main reason for the Oilers struggles, but to say it's a complete non-factor is just crazy. So crazy I dont know why im still talking about it.

Dobber Sports Wizard

What's interesting with Sekera returning is it will push Russell to be their #6 D-man because right now he's #5. And this is after they decided to give him $4M for 4 years. You just can't have your #6 D-man getting $4M. How much are they going to give to Nurse and Benning? Those two have a solid case that they should get more than $4M now.

The Oilers need to do something but I don't really know what that something could be. They can't make a big trade, they've already traded away enough players. They can't fire the head coach, they've already gone through enough of them. They can't take the 'C' from McDavid, and that's unlikely to help anyways. Firing the GM mid-season probably doesn't help either. Could they fire an assistant coach and would that be enough? I don't know but I'm not seeing too many options besides that.

Maybe they can add a couple of veteran players who provide more leadership in the locker room especially. I'm not sure if guys like Lucic and Larsson are very strong leaders. It's impossible to know without actually being in the locker room, so I'm just guessing here.

Dobber Sports Deity

Changing out an asst coach is certainly an option. Maybe they can find one who can tighten up a special team.

Dobber Sports Pro

Changing out an asst coach is certainly an option. Maybe they can find one who can tighten up a special team.
    Friend of mine has hated Jay Woodcroft from the day he came here, thinks hes terrible at his job. I didnt really get why at first....hes starting to convince me

Dobber Sports Expert

PC talk about a survivor. He's been living off the Kessel deal for years. And did he really win that deal if Kessel wins 2 cups and gets squat for Seguin????