Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Equipment in Sports do You Spend Extra on?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default What Equipment in Sports do You Spend Extra on?

Just curious what people will spend a bit more on when it comes to equipment for a sport.

For hockey with me I'll spend dirt cheap on most of the protective equipment (pants, elbow pads ect), but I'll spend more on getting a really good glove. I got a pair of $120 for $50 once and it ruined me. I now am willing to spend $120+ on a pair if they last 4+yrs. Skates are another, but I'll still spend the middle ground on those.

Sticks, I just go for the RBZ, they're dropping in price so that's nice.

Every other sport I play is the low end, soccer basketball, gym stuff.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: What Equipment in Sports do You Spend Extra on?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Just curious what people will spend a bit more on when it comes to equipment for a sport.

For hockey with me I'll spend dirt cheap on most of the protective equipment (pants, elbow pads ect), but I'll spend more on getting a really good glove. I got a pair of $120 for $50 once and it ruined me. I now am willing to spend $120+ on a pair if they last 4+yrs. Skates are another, but I'll still spend the middle ground on those.

Sticks, I just go for the RBZ, they're dropping in price so that's nice.

Every other sport I play is the low end, soccer basketball, gym stuff.
    I'm the opposite. I consider gloves to be disposable. I've tried high and low end, I think the palm wears out just as fast on both.
    Spend a little extra on skates and sticks

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am the same... cheap out on everything except some of the outer stuff.

Skates, helmet - gotta protect the noggin, and gloves... gloves for the dangles! Who says D-men don't dangle!

For baseball you gotta spend big on everything except for a helmet. A helmet, if you want to pay more all you get is a different color.

Cleats, glove and bat... you gotta have top end for all of them.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by smytty View Post
    I'm the opposite. I consider gloves to be disposable. I've tried high and low end, I think the palm wears out just as fast on both.
    Spend a little extra on skates and sticks
    Go to a shoe place and have them redo the palm with leather. I have had the same gloves for about 8 years since I got them replaced last.

I spend on a good bike (I enjoy mountain biking) but otherwise I'm not really one to spend more than necessary on other equipment for any sport.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Skates, helmets, and gloves. It's really easy to find cheap good sticks on sale at sportchek. I regularly get $200+ sticks for $100 or less.

I love when other people in softball buy expensive bats.

Dobber Sports Veteran

What's the old adage, always spend more on the things that separate you from the ground?

I always spend more money on anything I put on my feet when it comes to sports.

They will potentially last longer and cause you less pain and potentially injuries.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

Nothing

In all of the sports/hobbies I participate in, (fishing, running, and biking) the law of diminishing return comes into play so there is nothing I spend "extra" on. There is always that sweet spot where you get the most bang for your buck. For this topic, I am the most knowledgeable on fishing so there is where my best examples exist. I do not spend for the highest-priced anything in fishing. I use $200 rods and $150 reels which are excellent but top-of-the line is double that or more. It's just not worth it. Those products exist because people will buy them but at that point they are not really chasing fish.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Nothing

In all of the sports/hobbies I participate in, (fishing, running, and biking) the law of diminishing return comes into play so there is nothing I spend "extra" on. There is always that sweet spot where you get the most bang for your buck. For this topic, I am the most knowledgeable on fishing so there is where my best examples exist. I do not spend for the highest-priced anything in fishing. I use $200 rods and $150 reels which are excellent but top-of-the line is double that or more. It's just not worth it. Those products exist because people will buy them but at that point they are not really chasing fish.
    +1 to this. I look for value-for-dollar in everything I buy. Sometimes that means dollar store junk and sometimes it means ultra high-end, but usually I find the sweet spot somewhere between mid and high-end, bought on a good sale. In a lot of cases it's the type of stuff made by good reputable companies, but not the models they can afford to make TV commercials for. I fish as well, but I find lower end stuff satisfactory there (Ugly Stik, Shimano Sienna reels, etc, though I don't doubt the value is there in some of the more mid-range stuff you mention)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Straying from the conversation and adding to clothing.

Footwear. All my leather boots are handmade in USA.

I spend on sports jackets because the cut has to be right, but socks (sorry Trudeau), button shirts, t-shirts all on the sale rack. Best jeans i own are from the Unbranded Brand.

Dobber Sports Monster

Just look for good sales before I buy hockey stuff. Am going to buy some new ones soon. I want to get actual good skates this time, last one I had (from 10 years ago) were a 11 D (narrow boot) and I need EE, very uncomfortable to skate in. Am going to get a two piece stick, composite shaft with a wooden blade .... you know because you gotta be a little old school. Then when I can afford it, I'm going to buy an Auston Matthews jersey.

Dobber Sports Icon

For hockey, I have always bought top of the line skates even now that I have to pay for them myself. I also always buy top of the line elbow pads since the difference between a good pair and a bad pair are loose chips in your elbows.

I just bought myself a new stick and went with two sticks in the $150 range instead of one at $300+. I don't think I will notice any difference between them.

I always buy high quality sunglasses. Since 2000, I have used on Smith Sunglasses and have been very happy. I have only had four pairs since 2000 and with Smith's "lifetime" warranty, two of those pairs I bought for half price because the previous ones were damaged. It took me about 7 years to convince my wife to go with good sunglasses but now that she's tried them, she won't go back either.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    For hockey, I have always bought top of the line skates even now that I have to pay for them myself. I also always buy top of the line elbow pads since the difference between a good pair and a bad pair are loose chips in your elbows.

I just bought myself a new stick and went with two sticks in the $150 range instead of one at $300+. I don't think I will notice any difference between them.

I always buy high quality sunglasses. Since 2000, I have used on Smith Sunglasses and have been very happy. I have only had four pairs since 2000 and with Smith's "lifetime" warranty, two of those pairs I bought for half price because the previous ones were damaged. It took me about 7 years to convince my wife to go with good sunglasses but now that she's tried them, she won't go back either.
    Yes... forgot about sunglasses. I spend good money on them too. The sun is too hard on your eyes... need proper polarized lenses.

Dobber Sports Pro

I spend the most (ie. most expensive piece rather than just second hand or cheap stuff) on a cup because that houses the most important area
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

Co-signed from someone that has said loose chips

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I spend the most (ie. most expensive piece rather than just second hand or cheap stuff) on a cup because that houses the most important area
    Don?t think I?d buy a second hand cup either...

Anyway, the one thing I?ve spent more than expected on was my last pair of skates. They just fit SO much better then the ones I planned on. In a few months I won?t notice the difference in my bank account but if I went with the cheaper ones I?d regret it every time I play.

With most other stuff there often seems to be little difference in quality or advantages between the mid range gear and the stuff that costs twice as much so may as well save that $$$
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar