Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tanking

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Tanking

Hi everyone,

believe it or not, in a league I commish one team has decided to tank the season already. He benched all his players, which is perfectly fine according to league rules.

The tanking team is currently 2nd last, but is clearly not the worst team in the league. The team in the last place is probably truly the worst team, has clearly the lowest points per game number. We play accumulated fantasy points for the whole season, not roto, not points only and not H2H.

The issue arose when me and another manager spoke up and called the last placed team on the league chat, that the tanking is now taking place. The same team was last year also de facto the worst team in the league, but got outtanked by two guys, one of which was the same team tanking now.

The tanker blames me, the commissioner, for interfering in his and other teams business. While I certainly interfered by making sure the last placed team knows that probably in a day or two they will not be able to finish last no matter how bad they do. I think that it is within the commissioners tools to let teams know what is going on in the league. We have maximum games 82 per position for the season, so it is usual for the managers to not micromanage their teams every day.

What do you think? The rules are clear, and i has been made clear by most managers that they allow tanking, but is it wrong for the commish to inform teams that are supposed to get the highest picks that they are again being tanked (cheated?) out of the highest pick.
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Tanking

I strongly dislike the tanking altogether, but it will stay in the rulebook for the time being.

I also dislike the fact, that one should have to throw the season out the window less than a month into the season to finish last, where they probably would finish if everyone gave their best shot.

I also dislike the fact that a manager, who is newer to fantasy hockey than some of the league, and gives their best shot, is year after year tanked out of the highest picks. It creates an ugly spin where it gets harder to improve the team when better teams get the best talent.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Have you talked about adding a minimum games per position? The teams that are playing to lose will whine about it I'm sure but that would help cut the tanking. Pick a reasonable number that you would have to actively try to not hit and then punish anyone who purposely tanks hard by moving their draft position to the bottom.

Dobber Sports Jedi

any thoughts about replacing this owner who appears to have no integrity or respect for the league? I wouldn't hesitate to hold a vote now allowing the league to decide whether the bench should be locked to whatever # it is to prevent teams from not dressing anyone. Min. games played as well.. and find a way to change last place gets 1st overall.

with the comments he's made about interfering with other teams. This could be more of a stance against you than him actually wanting to tank the season. Perhaps create a questionnaire asking for feedback on your Commish'ing and see if there's any changes/improvements the league would like to see. Even in $$ leagues it's about fun & respect. I make changes every year in an attempt to address most owners largest concerns.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

In football someone just benched EVERYONE, and it got frustrating, so we made a rule you must have people in your lineup, and we made that in all our leagues.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There is a problem that we agreed that any rules changes in the first three years in the league must be unanimous.

I tried to establish a number of changes in the league last spring, min games and punishing for not meeting them etc. Of course the tankers vetoed them.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd hold a vote on whether to kick the tankers ruining the pool out

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    There is a problem that we agreed that any rules changes in the first three years in the league must be unanimous.

I tried to establish a number of changes in the league last spring, min games and punishing for not meeting them etc. Of course the tankers vetoed them.
    I find it hard to believe this league will last 3 year's. You need to remove the incentive to tank by not guaranteeing last place gets first overall. Tanking in this manner is not healthy for a league. If I was the GM who legitimately has the worst team but is actually trying to play the right way and be a good member I would leave this league immediately, if nothing changes.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have to add that the first pick goes to lottery. So at least the tanking does not get you automatically the first pick. But when you got two tankers and the lottery like last year, suddenly the worst team picks fourth.

Dobber Sports All-Star

The actual problem is that your league rules are incomplete and allows for tanking. Tanking not only hurts the worst team that actually needs the help but it entirely removes any integrity in your league for fair competition. As a commissioner, you need to establish this ASAP and make amendments to the guidelines. The rest of the league can vote on this with majority rules as I'm sure that most will vote in favor except the cheaters. If you don't establish an anti-tanking rule, then I seriously doubt your league will survive very long as most managers will consider it a joke league.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Tanking is a joke in fantasy hockey... I would never do it... that is brutal.... its fantasy hockey.... you do it to have fun... and to tank a month into the season... especially after you tanked last year...

I vote that the rules should be changed... OR that there should be an embarrassing thing that the last place team has to do....so that if they tank they at least have to do something embarassing to make up for it.

To bad there wasn;t a way to reward the guy that plays more players all year.... Maybe the first overall draft pick should be awarded to the lowest points per game played or something.

But I guess the tankers would pickup some AHLer and play them in their lineup. Tankers ruin fantasy hockey.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Tanking is a joke in fantasy hockey... I would never do it... that is brutal.... its fantasy hockey.... you do it to have fun... and to tank a month into the season... especially after you tanked last year...

I vote that the rules should be changed... OR that there should be an embarrassing thing that the last place team has to do....so that if they tank they at least have to do something embarassing to make up for it.

To bad there wasn;t a way to reward the guy that plays more players all year.... Maybe the first overall draft pick should be awarded to the lowest points per game played or something.

But I guess the tankers would pickup some AHLer and play them in their lineup. Tankers ruin fantasy hockey.
    the funny thing is, the way the league is set up... they need to vote to change the rules and the tankers have voted against changing the rules. So they can't change the rules. I still think the one guy is benching his team almost in protest. A few polls on his Commish style might change that person's tanking attempts - or bring to light the league doesn't want this guy involved anymore because he's ruining it for everyone else.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    Hi everyone,

believe it or not, in a league I commish one team has decided to tank the season already. He benched all his players, which is perfectly fine according to league rules.

The tanking team is currently 2nd last, but is clearly not the worst team in the league. The team in the last place is probably truly the worst team, has clearly the lowest points per game number. We play accumulated fantasy points for the whole season, not roto, not points only and not H2H.

The issue arose when me and another manager spoke up and called the last placed team on the league chat, that the tanking is now taking place. The same team was last year also de facto the worst team in the league, but got outtanked by two guys, one of which was the same team tanking now.

The tanker blames me, the commissioner, for interfering in his and other teams business. While I certainly interfered by making sure the last placed team knows that probably in a day or two they will not be able to finish last no matter how bad they do. I think that it is within the commissioners tools to let teams know what is going on in the league. We have maximum games 82 per position for the season, so it is usual for the managers to not micromanage their teams every day.

What do you think? The rules are clear, and i has been made clear by most managers that they allow tanking, but is it wrong for the commish to inform teams that are supposed to get the highest picks that they are again being tanked (cheated?) out of the highest pick.
    Is there a reason they can't tank as well? lol As long as the teams meet the requirements, games played by skaters and minutes played by goalies, then why not? What else does a crappy team have to look forward to. It's a long season and if teams aren't completive, then managers will lose interest which will hurt the league. So I say, let them tank and may the best tanker win!

It happens in the NHL every year. Just in a lot more subtle way.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I skimmed the posts, i admit.

It's early November. Why be in a pool in the first place, if you're giving up 3 weeks into the season?

How does one achieve in life, with the maturity level of a two year old?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agree with gainer. The problem is that your rules allow it. You have no power to change anything given that the rules allow it.

I can't see any reason for you not to say something though. The fact that the tanker is mad that you pointed it out is ridiculous. Tell him to leave the league if they don't like it and the league will be better off for it.

You should change the rules though. This takes the fun out of it and is unsustainable.