Thread: CAP HIT or AAV?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default CAP HIT or AAV?

Hey,

I'm wondering what everyone else is using as their cap in their leagues? We are using AAV, is that the best option or is Cap Hit better? There's a big difference I'm seeing with rookies

example
    Will Butcher
    $900k Cap Hit
    $3m AAV.
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: CAP HIT or AAV?

In two of my leagues, we're using cap hit. In the 3rd one, we're actually using yearly salary.

I used to be in a league where AAV was used but that's pretty horrible for most prospects. Obviously the elite guys like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine etc. are worth their AAV number but most prospects are not.

My personal opinion is that cap hit is better than AAV but as you said, the difference only affects players on ELC, and also those 35+ contracts where performance bonuses are allowed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm in four cap leagues - two use cap hits, one uses AAV and another uses a performance based salary system relevant to our categories (don't ask). I hate AAV, in part because rookie salaries are disproportionately out of whack from where most of them should be. Cap hit is better to use and more common. Also, you don't have to drill down on Cap Friendly - you can go to the team page and just use the cap hits without hitting any other buttons.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

I use nothing but AAV, used to think cap hits were not used at all until recently.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

The NHL uses cap hits. So, too, do we in my league.

Dobber Sports Wizard

My league uses yearly salary, but every year we discuss switching to cap hit. Keeps rookies cheap, and evens everyone else out.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

We use cap hit for all of the reasons noted above.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm in four cap leagues - two use cap hits, one uses AAV and another uses a performance based salary system relevant to our categories (don't ask). I hate AAV, in part because rookie salaries are disproportionately out of whack from where most of them should be. Cap hit is better to use and more common. Also, you don't have to drill down on Cap Friendly - you can go to the team page and just use the cap hits without hitting any other buttons.
    Except when it comes to retained salary trades.

Dobber Sports Icon

In my 15 year old 31 (now) team dynasty league, we use AAV. I think it makes way more sense than cap hit.

How much does having the Art Ross Trophy winner with a cap hit of $925,000 in any fantasy league affect the balance of the league? Entry level contracts are already great to own in most cap leagues so having them with a maximum of $925,000 puts them over the top.

PS: The NHL uses cap hit for the current season but any bonuses paid out above the salary cap are carried forward to next year. Good luck dealing with that in fantasy league.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Except when it comes to retained salary trades.
    That's just evil. lol

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    How much does having the Art Ross Trophy winner with a cap hit of $925,000 in any fantasy league affect the balance of the league? Entry level contracts are already great to own in most cap leagues so having them with a maximum of $925,000 puts them over the top.

PS: The NHL uses cap hit for the current season but any bonuses paid out above the salary cap are carried forward to next year. Good luck dealing with that in fantasy league.
    Having the Art Ross winner at $925K is huge, but the guy who owns him had to have finished near the bottom of the league the year before McJesus was drafted OR traded for that pick. But that's rare...it's more of an issue for the many who don't live up to their $3M+ AAV on their entry level deals.

Clearly, you wouldn't carry over any bonuses. Cap leagues can't possibly be EXACTLY like the NHL in EVERY facet, otherwise, Toews and Kopitar would be more highly valued in cap leagues! There's a dozen players at the top of most FA lists in cap leagues that are their NHL teams top players, but because their contract is not a good "value", they just aren't worth it in our fantasy leagues. Fantasy often does not match reality. I seriously hate cap leagues.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket