Thread: Drake Batherson

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Drake Batherson

He is tearing up the Q right now. 4th round pick, is he a diamond in the rough?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=186230

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Drake Batherson

1.8 PPG in the Q for a 19-year-old isn't impressive at all actually. At best that would indicate 3rd line upside in the NHL, so I wouldn't bother unless it's a super deep league where pretty much everyone is owned.

But I haven't seen him play, so I'm only talking about his numbers and providing perspective for them.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    1.8 PPG in the Q for a 19-year-old isn't impressive at all actually. At best that would indicate 3rd line upside in the NHL, so I wouldn't bother unless it's a super deep league where pretty much everyone is owned.

But I haven't seen him play, so I'm only talking about his numbers and providing perspective for them.

I know it's not good to really judge a kid based on highlights but I have no other way to watching him play. Here is a glimpse of him during his 15 game point streak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIR60ktAdI

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was wondering when this thread would pop up. In my opinion this is a player everyone should grab now if they can. What Drake is doing is ridiculous right now. I have followed him a bit over the last year and think he has top six upside for sure. His production is very impressive if you look at the player itself. Two years ago he was in the Maritime Hockey League and not even full time in the Q. He had a big growth spurt and is now dominating. His development curve is truly unique. From Junior A to signing an NHL contract in two years. The Sens were so impressed by his play and short time in development camp that they signed him just after the season started.

He wasn't some 1st rounder who was expected to put up these numbers and the CHL is a 19 year old league. He's not an overage player and it's only his second season in the Q. When you watch him play, he has the size, skating, and two way play to become a scoring player in the NHL. I think his situation compares greatly to Mark Stone who was drafted very late and surged after being draft, and he plays kind of like a Bobby Ryan/Mark Scheifele hybrid right now. So he wouldn't even have a long wait compared to other guys like Hoffman, Perron etc who dominated the Q in their later teens.

He's the only great player on his team right now. He's leading his team in scoring by 16 points which is ridiculous one month into the season. He literally does it all for CB.

Here's a good comment from a trusted maritime prospect watcher on HF:

"
    What Batherson is doing (small sample size) this season in conjunction with his development from age 17-present, is quite literally, unheard of.

Here is a list of Junior A leagues, in order of talent:

BCHL
    AJHL
    SJHL
    OJHL
    CCHL
    MHL(Formerly MJAHL)/MJHL/NOJHL/SIJHL

Batherson, in his NHL draft year, scored 4 goals and 19 points in 28 games in the MJAHL. That isn't enough to earn a walk-on with Q teams for the most part. That is production of non-drafted midget players.

Now, less than 18 months removed from that season, he is the best player in the QMJHL, drafted by the Senators with a contract in hand, with 15 goals through his first 13 games.

The guy has 13 more points than the next closest guy on his team....

I can't remember such a large development curve in my ~10 years involved in various aspects of junior hockey.

"

Drake should get strong consideration for Team Canada this year.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    I was wondering when this thread would pop up. In my opinion this is a player everyone should grab now if they can. What Drake is doing is ridiculous right now. I have followed him a bit over the last year and think he has top six upside for sure. His production is very impressive if you look at the player itself. Two years ago he was in the Maritime Hockey League and not even full time in the Q. He had a big growth spurt and is now dominating. His development curve is truly unique. From Junior A to signing an NHL contract in two years. The Sens were so impressed by his play and short time in development camp that they signed him just after the season started.

He wasn't some 1st rounder who was expected to put up these numbers and the CHL is a 19 year old league. He's not an overage player and it's only his second season in the Q. When you watch him play, he has the size, skating, and two way play to become a scoring player in the NHL. I think his situation compares greatly to Mark Stone who was drafted very late and surged after being draft, and he plays kind of like a Bobby Ryan/Mark Scheifele hybrid right now. So he wouldn't even have a long wait compared to other guys like Hoffman, Perron etc who dominated the Q in their later teens.

He's the only great player on his team right now. He's leading his team in scoring by 16 points which is ridiculous one month into the season. He literally does it all for CB.

Here's a good comment from a trusted maritime prospect watcher on HF:

"
    What Batherson is doing (small sample size) this season in conjunction with his development from age 17-present, is quite literally, unheard of.

Here is a list of Junior A leagues, in order of talent:

BCHL
    AJHL
    SJHL
    OJHL
    CCHL
    MHL(Formerly MJAHL)/MJHL/NOJHL/SIJHL

Batherson, in his NHL draft year, scored 4 goals and 19 points in 28 games in the MJAHL. That isn't enough to earn a walk-on with Q teams for the most part. That is production of non-drafted midget players.

Now, less than 18 months removed from that season, he is the best player in the QMJHL, drafted by the Senators with a contract in hand, with 15 goals through his first 13 games.

The guy has 13 more points than the next closest guy on his team....

I can't remember such a large development curve in my ~10 years involved in various aspects of junior hockey.

"

Drake should get strong consideration for Team Canada this year.
    Fantastic post! Thanks a lot. Here is their teams point leaders thus far. His point lead over his teammates is impressive!

(from hockeydb)
    drakebatherson.png