Thread: The Swedish Sebastian Aho?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default The Swedish Sebastian Aho?

Not the Carolina prospect but the Islanders D-man drafted last summer.

I know it's a small sample size, but has anyone seen him play? I see he has 3 pts in 4 AHL games, but from what I can tell, offense is not a question with him. It's more of a question about his defense and how he adapts to North American hockey.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Swedish Sebastian Aho?

Probman had like a 2nd round grade on him 3 years in a row. That’s all I really know.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I don't have any input on the Swedish Aho, but I can remind fantasy hockey folks to make sure they highlight the right one when putting in a free agent claim on him. I just caught it at the last minute YIkes!
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Not the Carolina prospect but the Islanders D-man drafted last summer.

I know it's a small sample size, but has anyone seen him play? I see he has 3 pts in 4 AHL games, but from what I can tell, offense is not a question with him. It's more of a question about his defense and how he adapts to North American hockey.
    You're right, he needs to prove he can handle the defensive responsibilities against the bigger forwards that the NHL has. Great offensive talent, worth stashing in minors in deep leagues. 30 points in 50 games playing against men at the top level in Sweden, and he was only 20 years old. That's very impressive. I was surprised he fell to the 5th round (and didn't get drafted in earlier years). He's already played 3 seasons against men in Sweden, so that obviously helps with the transition to the AHL. But as said, the players in the NHL will be bigger and faster, so he needs to prove himself.

The Islanders don't have any puck-moving D-men besides Leddy, so there's a need for a guy like him. But they do also have Devon Toews, Parker Wotherspoon and Mitchell Vande Sompel coming up, so there's some competition for that spot - there's probably only room for 1 or 2 of them.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    You're right, he needs to prove he can handle the defensive responsibilities against the bigger forwards that the NHL has. Great offensive talent, worth stashing in minors in deep leagues. 30 points in 50 games playing against men at the top level in Sweden, and he was only 20 years old. That's very impressive. I was surprised he fell to the 5th round (and didn't get drafted in earlier years). He's already played 3 seasons against men in Sweden, so that obviously helps with the transition to the AHL. But as said, the players in the NHL will be bigger and faster, so he needs to prove himself.

The Islanders don't have any puck-moving D-men besides Leddy, so there's a need for a guy like him. But they do also have Devon Toews, Parker Wotherspoon and Mitchell Vande Sompel coming up, so there's some competition for that spot - there's probably only room for 1 or 2 of them.
    Thanks Jouko-Pouko, would rep, but can't!

Where would you rank Aho among other young d-men like J.Schmaltz, K.Clague and K.Capobianco? At first glimpse, I'd put Aho right behind Schmaltz, but as you mentionned that the Islanders have more need for Aho than maybe St-Louis has for Shmaltz (already crowded blueline and good competition with Dunn and Walman), I'm curious as to what your take would be.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Thanks Jouko-Pouko, would rep, but can't!

Where would you rank Aho among other young d-men like J.Schmaltz, K.Clague and K.Capobianco? At first glimpse, I'd put Aho right behind Schmaltz, but as you mentionned that the Islanders have more need for Aho than maybe St-Louis has for Shmaltz (already crowded blueline and good competition with Dunn and Walman), I'm curious as to what your take would be.
    I'd have Clague first and then it's up to personal preference between Aho and Schmaltz. It's close enough that league rules might also come to play since Schmaltz is already 24 years old and in some leagues might not even be considered a true prospect anymore.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Any new thoughts on this god damn Aho? He's clipping along at a pretty good pace right now. 18gp, 7g, 13p.

I've only recently heard of him, seems like he has the offensive instincts to thrive, how is his all around game? Anyone seen him play or have more info on him, he's sitting in my league's FA pool and thinking of maybe stashing him in my minors. Isle have a real lack of D standing in his way. Leddy is great but father time is catching up with him, Boychuck is stay at home guy and again, father time. De Haan stay at home, Hickey bottom pairing same with Mayfield, Pulock has disappointed everyone so far except his mother.

Can store/keep 5 minor league players, my five - Sam Steel, Logan Brown, Jordan Kyrou, Nick Suzuki, Igor Shestyorkin
    Sergachev and Butcher have graduated this year, feel like I have a glut of forwards though, any of those 4(forwards) you would drop in favour of Aho?
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bnet View Post
    Any new thoughts on this god damn Aho? He's clipping along at a pretty good pace right now. 18gp, 7g, 13p.

I've only recently heard of him, seems like he has the offensive instincts to thrive, how is his all around game? Anyone seen him play or have more info on him, he's sitting in my league's FA pool and thinking of maybe stashing him in my minors. Isle have a real lack of D standing in his way. Leddy is great but father time is catching up with him, Boychuck is stay at home guy and again, father time. De Haan stay at home, Hickey bottom pairing same with Mayfield, Pulock has disappointed everyone so far except his mother.

Can store/keep 5 minor league players, my five - Sam Steel, Logan Brown, Jordan Kyrou, Nick Suzuki, Igor Shestyorkin
    Sergachev and Butcher have graduated this year, feel like I have a glut of forwards though, any of those 4(forwards) you would drop in favour of Aho?
    No no, don't drop any of those forwards. Aho is a nice sleeper prospect but your league is not deep enough for him.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    No no, don't drop any of those forwards. Aho is a nice sleeper prospect but your league is not deep enough for him.
    Agreed