Thread: Drop Lehner for Hellebuyck, Varlamov?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Drop Lehner for Hellebuyck, Varlamov?

Lehner & Buffalo have had a rough start to the year, obviously.
    In my pool I have to be very careful about moves. 5 moves on the entire year. Including injuries. No bench, No IR.
    Helly had another W tonight. That's 4 in a row. He's the goalie of the future there, is that gonna be true in the now? Or do you guys expect a back and forth to continue.
    It's not really worth it for me if it's a wash, as moves are too much of a premium.
    But if ya think he's likely to get substantially more wins this season, let me know. (only wins and shutouts count)
    Too early to worry about Lehner? - or is it time to make a move while there is one?
    (after Helly and Varlamov it is SLIM.. MAF, Howard, Markstrom, Halak..
    Goalies are at a premium in our pool.
    Starting to worry Lehner was overvalued in the Dobber guide...
    Input would be muchly appreciated.

(Can only swap a player at the same position. Could conversely save that move and drop one of Eberle or Stepan for E Kane or Namestnikov instead. Could be best to stand pat though too. Anyhow, I'm here primarily for goalie advice. )
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Drop Lehner for Hellebuyck, Varlamov?

The upside for Helley is worth it imo. Especially since goalies are at a premium (I'm surprised he's still there). He's not a sure thing but I think it's worth the risk. And of course if he does become the clear no 1, and it's trending that way, the earlier you pick him up the better. I drafted Lehner hoping he'd be this year's poor man's Talbot. I cut bait last week. No room for losing goalies selected in the last round on most rosters.

I'd make the swap knowing that you're going to have to be very disciplined for the next couple months with only 4 moves left (basically your next one should be reserved almost exclusively for an injury).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

I’m not sure either performances are guaranteed to continue. Have to say I do prefer the Jets roster (but that was the same ore season though I thought Mason would be the man). Issue is understanding whether the 5 moves max is worth saving?

Who are your other goalies?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think I'd hold on Lehner. The whole team is adjusting to their new coach and new system. I don't trust any of them, but I trust Lehner a tad more than the other two when looking at them as a whole.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I drafted Lehner this year and he has looked solid, the issue is his defense core constantly turning over the puck. I cut bait last week and unless you have no better options available, I suggest you do the same.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Issue is understanding whether the 5 moves max is worth saving?

Who are your other goalies?
    My team is in my sig. We only have two goalies, my other one's Murray, so I'm well off there.

In the past, when I've won this pool, I've generally always had two top-tier goalies, drafting one usually in the first round and another in sometimes the second, or certainly the 3rd or fourth. I went for forwards who were available this time and waited until the 7th round for my 2nd. Looking like a mistake.

hmmmmmmmmmmm... ugh, tough call. Your guys' input is really great - thanks! Not sure I've arrived at any clarity yet.... Any further thoughts are appreciated!
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don’t think Helly or Varly are sufficient enough an upgrade on Lehner to be worth 1 of your 5 moves for the season.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith