Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with Dougie Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default What is the deal with Dougie Hamilton?

I drafted Hamilton this year, but never really wanted him. Everything I see and hear about this amazing upside, how he's a lock for 50 points, amazing fancy stats, could be the next Hedman... All he needs is opportunity ie, TOI and PP1.

Is this ever going to happen? Why does everyone else see it, yet he remains on <20mins and PP2. What are your projections with his current deployment, and if he gets a PP bump?

I have too many D, and am trying to trade one to solve my RW problem. What calibre of winger should I be looking at for Hamilton? Voracek? Mark Stone?

Anyone want to convince me on why Hamilton is the real deal (for league in sig this year only) and why I should stand pat?
    Weekly H2H. G A +/- GWG HAT ATOI SOG HIT BLK STP // W SO GAA SV%
    C (4): Matthews, Stamkos, Eichel, Barzal
    RW (4): Laine, M Stone, Rantanen, T Johnson, Zibanejad
    LW (4): Ovechkin, Kane, D Brown, R Smith
    D (6): Byfuglien, Doughty, Ristolainen, Suter, Gostisbehere, S Jones, M Rielly
    G (2): Price, Bishop, Hellebuyck
    IR (1): Carter
    Keep 2 with <100 NHL games

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: What is the deal with Dougie Hamilton?

Last year I dropped him and I watched him tear it up on another guy's roster for the rest of the season. He hasn't been great (in fantasy) and he burned me big time when I benched him for his two goal game (my stupid mistake since it was against the Canucks) but given what I saw last year I'm going to be patient.

I invested a somewhat high draft pick on him and the fact that I deliberately passed up Pietrangelo to draft him because I trusted Dobber's rankings is an extra kick to my balls but I'm not going to sell low or drop him. He most likely won't match last year's numbers but he should come around.

In a league like yours that doesn't count SOG perhaps his value is a bit more questionable, but still he's not a guy that you drop.
    Y! 8-Team H2H
    G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%

3C: A.Barkov, S.Bennett, V.Trocheck, W.Karlsson, J.Eriksson Ek, J.McCann, P.Danault, T.Johnson
    3LW: A.Ovechkin, A.Svechnikov, T.Toffoli, V.Arvidsson
    3RW: P.Kane, B.Wheeler, B.Rust
    5D: R.Josi, J.Chychrun, M.Weegar, T.Chabot, R.Dahlin, R.Ristolainen, C.Murphy
    2G: F.Andersen, J.Binnington, C.Peterson
    2IR+: N.Bäckström

Dobber Sports Rookie

It does count SOGs... Sig now fixed!
    Weekly H2H. G A +/- GWG HAT ATOI SOG HIT BLK STP // W SO GAA SV%
    C (4): Matthews, Stamkos, Eichel, Barzal
    RW (4): Laine, M Stone, Rantanen, T Johnson, Zibanejad
    LW (4): Ovechkin, Kane, D Brown, R Smith
    D (6): Byfuglien, Doughty, Ristolainen, Suter, Gostisbehere, S Jones, M Rielly
    G (2): Price, Bishop, Hellebuyck
    IR (1): Carter
    Keep 2 with <100 NHL games

Dobber Sports Pro

It's early. His non-PP PPG is actually significantly higher than last year so far (0.57 vs 0.44 PPG), his shots have increased every year, including this year over last. He's Calgary's best d-man and once the PP gets going he'll catch fire. That said, if you can improve your team by moving him, or another defenseman, then you should do it (obviously).

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    It's early. His non-PP PPG is actually significantly higher than last year so far (0.57 vs 0.44 PPG), his shots have increased every year, including this year over last. He's Calgary's best d-man and once the PP gets going he'll catch fire. That said, if you can improve your team by moving him, or another defenseman, then you should do it (obviously).
    Good observation about his PPG. As a Flames fan, do you see Gulutzan ever putting him or the Gio-Dougie pairing on PP1 with Gaudreau and Monahan? For me his value is dampened as long as he is not skating with those guys on the man advantage (I completely overlooked this during my draft). I know he doesn't like splitting up Gio-Dougie but is Brodie really the guy you want to use there on PP1 with the best forwards?
    Y! 8-Team H2H
    W, SV, SV%

3C: A.Barkov, S.Bennett, V.Trocheck, W.Karlsson, J.Eriksson Ek, J.McCann, P.Danault, T.Johnson

Dobber Sports Star

I don't understand why they insist on using Brodie on PP1 instead of Hamilton. It's driving me nuts.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Variance

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I don't understand why they insist on using Brodie on PP1 instead of Hamilton. It's driving me nuts.
    Because Gio/Hamilton are a pairing, they go Brodie, then 5/27, then can go 7/24 first shift when the PP ends. They also feel Brodie is a better skater/zone entry/puck retrieval person than Hamilton.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by skiteam14 View Post
    Good observation about his PPG. As a Flames fan, do you see Gulutzan ever putting him or the Gio-Dougie pairing on PP1 with Gaudreau and Monahan? For me his value is dampened as long as he is not skating with those guys on the man advantage (I completely overlooked this during my draft). I know he doesn't like splitting up Gio-Dougie but is Brodie really the guy you want to use there on PP1 with the best forwards?
    The thing is, Hamilton's PPTOI is almost identical to last year's. I'd rather see the 3M line with Hamilton and Gio on one unit, and replace Brouwer with Jagr on the other unit.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Variance
    Pretty much
    Y! 8-Team H2H
    W, SV, SV%

Dobber Sports Pro

Because Gio/Hamilton are a pairing, they go Brodie, then 5/27, then can go 7/24 first shift when the PP ends. They also feel Brodie is a better skater/zone entry/puck retrieval person than Hamilton.
    This. The only thing I'd change with the Brodie unit is replace Brouwer with Jagr.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was bullish on Dougie too. I'd give it more time. Just because Brodie is PP1 does not mean it will stay that way. But I have no magical way of predicting what Gulutzan will do. Certainly if the team struggles, things usually change

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    I was bullish on Dougie too. I'd give it more time. Just because Brodie is PP1 does not mean it will stay that way. But I have no magical way of predicting what Gulutzan will do. Certainly if the team struggles, things usually change
    The PP1 vs PP2 issue is a red herring. Hamilton's PPTOI is identical to last year. If he had only one PP point this year (as opposed to zero), we wouldn't be having this discussion as he'd be on a 55+ point pace including 12 PPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    This. The only thing I'd change with the Brodie unit is replace Brouwer with Jagr.
    That has mostly happened.

Dobber Sports Pro

That has mostly happened.
    That's good to know...often coaches seem to not want to make the most obvious changes.