Thread: First year- rebuilding an inherited team.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default First year- rebuilding an inherited team.

So I drunkingly inherited a team a couple weeks before the season started (no regrets) and decided right away a rebuild is nessesary and will try to compete in 1-3 years. I know hockey and the nhl but this is my first time playing a serious fantasy league so my valuing of players/draft picks and strategies right now are lacking. I didnt have a draft pick until the 5th round in the draft somehow too...lol. my team is in my signature and as you can see I went extremely young. I have made some improvements to the team so far but have a long way to go.

first question for the pros here, i am sure as the discussion moves along i'll have more.....

.....should i be wasting roster spots on guys like Dylan Strome or Puljujarvi on the off-chance they make an impact at some point? Probably not worth the extremely small chance they can prove this season good enough to be keepers going into next season right? (D. Strome was a keeper I inherited)

really happy with the forum so far and happy to be here. Thanks brosifs!
    12 team keeper league. roster updated daily. 4c-4lw-4rw-6d-2g played daily. 24 total roster spots
    -keep any 8 players

all skaters- goals, assists, ppp, shp, sog, pims, shootout goals, gwg, +/-
    d- takeaways, hits, blocks
    goalies- wins, shutouts, otl, saves, save percentage

C- S. Stamkos, T. Seguin, E. Malkin
    LW- A. Panarin, S. Aho (lw/rw/c), B. Tkachuk
    RW- P. Laine
    D- M. Heiskannen
    G-

only keepers included till draft day

- 2017-2018 runner up -
    - 2018-2019 runner up -

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: First year- rebuilding an inherited team.

Overall, not a bad team at all.

Your Gs are strong, and should not be touched.

Your D could be tweaked, but is very good.

Tavares and Mac are two strong, young centers; Reinhart and D Strome should evolve into fairly decent players.

Other than W Nylander, you need help at the wings, although most of your players are young and should evolve.

I am almost wondering if you have enough youth at the wings to trade away for solid players, and be competitive this year.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Veteran

No harm in holding those players, but I wouldn't sacrifice other opportunists to acquire other assets by not moving them.

Your first year is a punt...look to use your assets to flip for better assets.
    2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals are your bread and butter.
    There are going to be teams that want to win that will sacrifice good slumping players for hot players.

I think these players are your locked keepers in a keep 7:
    Tavares - C
    MacKinnon - C
    Nylander - C/RW
    Murray - G
    Vasilevsky - G

I'd then look to use the other players you have to acquire upgrades at your last two keeper spots.

It's all about timing. Sell high, buy low.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Rebuild is completely unnecessary here. It's a keep-7 and you have good keepers already.

Tavares
    MacKinnon
    Nylander
    Murray
    Vasilevskiy
    Hamilton
    Domi
    Provorov

That's eight right there just to show you that you're already going to be saying goodbye to strong young talent (not to mention Ho-Sang, etc) this offseason. A rebuild does nothing for you. IMO if you want to punt this year start moving non-keepers for picks in this summer's draft and aim for a stronger team next year.

That said if you end up punting this year then nothing wrong with adding Strome/Pulj types in the event there are other rebuilding clubs willing to give something for them at the deadline.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, no rebuild really needed. Your top end talent is fine.

You can try and consolidate some of your fringe keepers to upgrade one of your keeper spots, but I would DEFINITELY not be aiming to compete in 3 years in a 12 team keep 7 - why wait when you can compete now?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yes, you should have a competitive team now. I don't think chasing young talent is the way to go to certain extent. Certainly can carry one or two at times but you are more likely to be disappointed. You should have a better idea half way through the season if you have a chance or should start rebuild mode. I took over a team last year, first one in my signature and did a rebuild. I ended up hoarding good back up goalies at end of season and kept Darling. I also did some 2 for one and 3 for one deals with teams looking to "win now" Picked up Shattenkirk that way. Also traded Eichel for Kucherov. That was a close trade. So far Kuch has been holding up quite nicely. Good luck.
    Last edited by renello; October 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Padawan

With the missing pick in rounds 1-4 I can see why you'd want to scrap this year, so no harm in going for the 1st overall pick.

In saying that, I'd try and move guys like Radulov, Landeskog, Barrie, Brodie, Parayko and Greiss when the opportunity for good value arises. I'd also accumulate any and all young guys with huge upside (like Puljujarvi and Strome) on the off chance they announce themselves this year. If they do, they're keepers, if they don't, they help you "tank". Win-win.

Your keeper situation would then be, these guarantees; Tavares, MacKinnon, Nylander, Murray, and Vasilevskiy. And you have 2 spots to pick from your group of 10-15 young guys with huge potential, and you decide pre-season next year.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Please explain how this team is in need of a rebuild? I'm a little confused. haha I'm starting to think if people don't have a top 5 player they are automatically in "rebuild mode"
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheBends View Post
    Please explain how this team is in need of a rebuild? I'm a little confused. haha I'm starting to think if people don't have a top 5 player they are automatically in "rebuild mode"
    Everyone wants to rebuild and get younger just because. One of my main missions in fantasy hockey is to teach people it is not necessary to rebuild because there are easier/better methods to build a contender.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Everyone wants to rebuild and get younger just because. One of my main missions in fantasy hockey is to teach people it is not necessary to rebuild because there are easier/better methods to build a contender.
    Ya, anyone can win a league, its just a matter of luck and how active you are as a manager.. You should have seen my championship winning team last year haha definitely not a squad you'd think would win a title.
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Veteran

When I look at that team I see potential, not production.

Dvorak, Domi, Larkin, Puljarvi, D.Strome, R.Strome, Ho-Sang, Reinhart, Provorov, Sergachev.

These are all great prospects / young up and comers, but you can only keep 7.

Trade away some of the young potential for consistent production in your keeper 7 and try to acquire some picks to fill out your team next year.

This team will be a middle of the pack team unless that young potential actually achieves.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by TheBends View Post

It?s my first year. So maybe my strategy was shaky off the hop. My roster now looks a lot different then it did when I got the team. Zaitsev was one of my inherited keepers for example. My first thought was to scrap this year and draft youth and see if one or two can turn into keepers for next season.

I?ve turned over a ton of my roster already and agree that I should re-think my strategy and compete as much as I can. Even if it?s the smart thing to do, I could never tank. No fun at all. I?m starting to build some confidence too understanding the league which I didn?t have a couple weeks ago. Makes a big difference.

Thanks for all your input.