Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Essay using argumentation ... any ideas?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Essay using argumentation ... any ideas?

I want to do this hockey related. Any ideas? This is the outline that our instructor gave us. Have aced every essay so far, so doing essays on hockey been going good for me lol.

This course is equivalent to English 12 if anyone is wondering why the number of words is so low.

Choose an issue with which you are familiar and about which you feel strongly. If you don't feel strongly about anything, choose a proposition from below. Draft a thesis statement and outline your reasons and evidence. Then in about 725 words, write a persuasive paper, making sure that your points are well supported and that the paper is clearly structured. Assume that your reader is not hostile, but is not enthusiastically supportive, either.

• Should self-inflicted health problems like smoking and obesity be covered by taxpayer-funded health care?
    • Should parents be held liable for acts of theft or vandalism committed by their minor children?
    • Should the school day start or finish earlier or later?
    • Should higher education be available for free for everybody?

Have been given an idea by my instructor to do one on "Hazing must be taken out of sports". But what are your ideas?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Essay using argumentation ... any ideas?

NHL Playoffs should be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 as opposed to its current divisional set up.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    NHL Playoffs should be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 as opposed to its current divisional set up.
    That is a good one. Personally I feel indifferent on the play-off format but can already see some of the flaws in it. Keeping the draft age at 18 could be another idea.

Dobber Sports Master

Player safety and the concussion issue. Always hot and controversial.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

This should answer itself. What do YOU feel strongly about? Ask yourself this question honestly. You'll come up with a topic in less than a minute. Doesn't have to be focused just on hockey.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This should answer itself. What do YOU feel strongly about? Ask yourself this question honestly. You'll come up with a topic in less than a minute. Doesn't have to be focused just on hockey.
    Well, considering all I do is think about hockey ... this one was easy. I more or less asked if getting hazing out of sports would be a good idea and the instructor said that would be perfect. It is something that grinds my gears a bit. I know a couple talented hockey players that quit the rep hockey team because the older players were making them do some hazing rituals and bullying them to do other stuff they were not comfortable with. More can be done to prevent this imo. This will be fun to write.

Dobber Sports Giant

At what age should a player be considered eligible to be drafted (aka when is it OK to give this "job" or a chance at a "job" to a youngster). Maturity, physical and mental, need to be considered IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Administrator

Hazing is a good topic

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Hazing is a good topic
    I should post it on here when I am done. It's worth 20% of my final mark. Will do my best.

My first article ... FOR FREE

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm an English teacher -- the key here is focus. Don't pick something too big--you can't cover concussions for sure!

Closing the NCAA FA loophole
    Consider one of the options for increased scoring: 2 minute major penalties, no PK icing, bigger nets, etc.
    The need for a "Most Defensive Defenseman" trophy to go with the Norris (requires points)

I've got one for you in particular (from what I know of you!):
    How could the NHL use gambling in promotion of the sport? (It's a hard sport to bet on, and NCAA Basketball and NFL football really benefit from it)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Genius

In my 4th year, I did my thesis on hockey in particular. It was along the lines of "does rowdy fan engagement really spur on hockey violence?" Something along those lines. If I remember, I took in a few University games to see or record if a violent act on the ice or penalty was somehow spurred on by the 'fan' or 'fan reaction' or simply done without any external stimulus. Had a lot of fun with this one and happy my Prof. said yes, go for it.

What about whether Que. city is deserving of a franchise...could make an easy paper on yes or no here.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post

What about whether Que. city is deserving of a franchise...could make an easy paper on yes or no here.
    Might be harder than it looks. This will require a lot of data.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. That's why I love this community, lots of help and support. Appreciate it a lot.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Some great suggestions but i think you need to go wide audience here so I?d keep it simple.

Fighting in Hockey. Yes or no.

Everyone has an opinion on that and it?s pretty easy to put 5-7 pages together for either side.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think hazing is a great idea, especially if you can relate it to actual incidents you've been made aware of.

Fighting / enforcer role is also a good topic.

Also topical, is the kneeling during the anthem issue