Thread: MacK vs Monahan - I'll Rep

Dobber Sports Pro

Default MacK vs Monahan - I'll Rep

I'm being offered Mack, a 3 in 2018 and a 4 or 5 in 2019 for my Monahan. I traded Mack and a pick last year for Monahan/RyJo and a pick. Monahan is off to a better start, but it's obviously early.

I don't have an expiring contract after this year. Mack is a 1 yr, and based on our rules, since it hasn't been a full calendar year since I moved Mack, his contract for me defaults back to what he would have been before I moved him (so still a 1), since he was a 2 last year. I was thinking take the picks, and then try and move MacK once he heats up, or after the season? It may be thinking to far ahead, but if I moved Monahan for MacK, I'll have room to sign Aho to a 2 yr contract going into next year (assuming he's keeper worthy), or will at least have more options since I'll have an open keeper slot. Our rookies rules allow us to carry a rookie over, then sign the rookie to 1 or 2 years (even if those slots are filled), so long as we stay at 4 contracts.

It's early, but I'm currently in 11th (10th in FP/G), but I finished 3rd last year and I think I have a pretty solid team.

Would you do this trade, or hold off? His other guys are: Wennberg, Panarin (3 yr), Thachuk (rookie carryover), Pasta (4 yr), Pavelski (2 yr), Faulk, Leddy, Horvat, Pearson, Lee, Werenski (just acquired), Connor (new rookie), Bobrovsky and Crawford. I feel like this deal gives me more trade chips, which could make me even stronger for this year if I go after any rentals. If I don't do the deal, and start moving picks I'll short myself for the draft and have to gain those back. At least gaining picks stocks me up. As of right now, I've got 1 extra pick in 2018 (7) and all my normal picks in 2019. I just wonder if the risk with Mack vs Monahan but gaining the picks is worth it?

Just to give you an idea of the types of guys available:

3rd round picks from this year: Dadonov, Jones, Lee, Rinne, Byfuglien, Schultz, E Staal, Perry, OEL, Vasilevskiy, Miller, Lundqvist, Horvat, Burakovsky.

4th: Turris, Bishop, Crawford, Silfverberg, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Allen, Shipachyov, Spezza, Trocheck, Kadri, Carlson, Krug, Quick.

5th: Bjork, Palat, Pearson, Landeskog, Darling, Teravainen, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Grubauer, Rask, Kreider, Zuccarello, Weber, E Kane.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: MacK vs Monahan - I'll Rep

How valuable are those picks?

Because I like Monahan over Mac as a keeper, by enough to say it's not worth the dilution to acquire Mac + picks.

A lot depends on what you'll get with those picks, but my guts telling me to stick with Monahan.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BladesOfSteel View Post
    How valuable are those picks?

Because I like Monahan over Mac as a keeper, by enough to say it's not worth the dilution to acquire Mac + picks.

A lot depends on what you'll get with those picks, but my guts telling me to stick with Monahan.
    Appreciate the feedback. If you're talking about picks in regards to trade value, they are worth a lot. Holtby and Schultz got traded for 5th rounders because neither of the teams trading them were going to keep them/those teams weren't in contention. I traded a 3rd for Wheeler, and a 4th for Simmonds. It just depends who is available rental wise.

I realize it's risk with MacK vs safety with Monahan, but what I do like outside of the picks is the flexibility contract wise, since MacK is expiring. If I were to use the picks strictly as futures, like for the draft, you get an idea of the types of guys who get drafted there based on who I mentioned in my initial draft. I think the plan would be to see what rentals are available, and prices and go from there. Just saying the extra picks gives me more options.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Master

I like Monahan as much as I like MacKinnon, but still think MacK has another gear whereas Monahan is what he is: a 65 point guy. The picks push me over to the MacKinnon side.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I like Monahan as much as I like MacKinnon, but still think MacK has another gear whereas Monahan is what he is: a 65 point guy. The picks push me over to the MacKinnon side.
    Oh perfect. So you don't see much difference between the 2 for the rest of the year though?
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax