Thread: Rask/Price - I'll Rep

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Rask/Price - I'll Rep

These guys are killing me so far this year, I'm going to be 1-6-1 after tonight. My league is wins and shutouts based.

I don't think I reached for either guy in the draft, I grabbed Price in the 2nd round (24th overall), and Rask in the 5th round (66th overall).

Holtby was kept by another team heading into this year, and Murray was carried over as someone's rookie.

Talbot was the first goalie off the board (2nd round, pick 16 overall), followed by Bobrovsky (same round, 18th overall), Andersen (same round, 22nd overall).

The goalies that went in between the guys who went in the 2nd round and where I got Rask were: Dubnyk, Jones, Rinne, Vasilevskiy, Lundqvist, Bishop, Crawford, Allen, Quick, Darling, and Grubauer.

Last year, my goalies carried me (Price/Dubnyk) and I nearly got the goalie record for fantasy pts (our league is in it's 10th year). I traded Dubnyk later in the year too, and still finished in 3rd.

I am in 9th in overall fantasy pts, and 11th in fantasy pts/game. I'm 7th in skater pts, but tied for last in goalie pts and have played 5 more games than the team i'm tied with.

Do you see either of my goalies turning things around, or would you look to supplement what I have, or maybe upgrade 1 of them?

I know Boston has been without Bergeron, and Mtl has had a relatively tough schedule, but i don't want the season to get away on me. I'm super frustrated right now, and i've been fairly aggressive with my starts so far (have 82 for the year), so between Rask/Price I thought I would be above avg anyways.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Rask/Price - I'll Rep

I wouldn't be worried about having those two as my goalies, but if you don't have faith in Montreal and/or Boston this year then you must wait until they get on a roll before making offers. I think Price will always have high trade value no matter how poorly he or his team does. Rask is another story; I think you might have managers who evaluate him differently depending on how the Bruins fare. I don't know how you can really get a guaranteed upgrade from Price - any perceived upgrade like Holtby or Murray could end up coming back to bite you, especially since in a wins league people would want you to add. So I'd hang tight with him. Wouldn't be the worst idea to grab a 3rd stringer with good upside, but I think you will be ok regardless.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about having those two as my goalies, but if you don't have faith in Montreal and/or Boston this year then you must wait until they get on a roll before making offers. I think Price will always have high trade value no matter how poorly he or his team does. Rask is another story; I think you might have managers who evaluate him differently depending on how the Bruins fare. I don't know how you can really get a guaranteed upgrade from Price - any perceived upgrade like Holtby or Murray could end up coming back to bite you, especially since in a wins league people would want you to add. So I'd hang tight with him. Wouldn't be the worst idea to grab a 3rd stringer with good upside, but I think you will be ok regardless.
    Ok sounds good, thanks for the feedback. I'm carrying 4 d men right now (Hamilton, Buff, Barrie and Klefbom), so I can't activate Boeser at this point (he's in my rookie slot). I had him in for his first game, but then moved him back to rookie slot to make room for the other roster moves I made. I don't want to carry 4 d men, but just felt Barrie was too good to leave on free agent market, and I drafted the other 3 so I'll wait and see if any trade opportunities come up.

Some Goalies available right now on free agent market (for reference) are: Howard, Elliott, Fleury, Markstrom, Halak, Lehner, Saros.

With having 82 games to use, how would you handle having 2 goalies? I've been using both Price and Rask, but for instance on first night of year, I played Price vs Rask and both won. If Rask was in an obviously better matchup and they both played, I would start him. I obviously can't just alternate goalies all year because i'll burn my games quick.

This week, Mtl plays at San Jose (Tues), at LA (Wed) and at Anaheim (Fri).

Boston player home vs Vancouver (Thurs) and home vs Buffalo (Saturday). Obviously Price will just play 1 of the 2 back to back games, and I think Rask is a good play Thurs/Sat, especially Sat given Bergeron is expected back. There obviously isn't any overlap between Price/Rask for this week.

If I start Rask Thursday/Sat, what would you do regarding Price this week?
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Some Goalies available right now on free agent market (for reference) are: Howard, Elliott, Fleury, Markstrom, Halak, Lehner, Saros.
    Elliott looks like the best bet out of that group.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Elliott looks like the best bet out of that group.
    Who would you drop if I were to add Elliott? I used waiver priority to add Barrie and Kreider, and my roster is full right now such that I can't even activate Boeser as I said. I think it's probably silly carrying 4 D, but even my 3/4 guys (Barrie/Klefbom) are too good for free agent market. I realize Klefbom is off to a slow start, but he's in such a good situation/with high upside.

You don't like Saros as a spot start option over Elliott, just given strength of team? I know Saros is the backup, but with his workload expected to increase this year could be more valuable than past years? He is also rookie eligible, so can rotate Boeser/Saros in rookie slot, but will still have to drop someone so I guess that doesn't make a difference.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax