Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prospects demoted to the ECHL

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Prospects demoted to the ECHL

Some somewhat interesting prospects have been demoted to the ECHL to start the season. This is obviously not good news if you're hoping these guys to crack the NHL roster anytime soon. Otherwise, it's not a bad thing to go there if they're just not ready to play at the AHL level (especially the 20-year-olds who are just starting their pro career), or they wouldn't get sufficient ice-time in the AHL (this is especially true for goalies).

NYI - Eamon McAdam, G (23 years old, NYI 3rd round pick)
    COL - J.C. Beaudin, C (20 years old, COL 3rd round pick)
    DET - Vili Saarijarvi, D (20 years old, DET 3rd round pick)
    DET - Zach Nastasiuk, RW (22 years old, DET 2nd round pick)
    STL - Conner Bleackley, C (21 years old, COL 1st round pick, then re-drafted in the 5th round by STL)
    VGK - Keegan Kolesar, RW (20 years old, CBJ 3rd round pick)
    CAR - Callum Booth, G (20 years old, CAR 4th round pick)
    CAR - Keegan Kanzig, D (22 years old, CGY 3rd round pick)
    CGY - Mason McDonald, G (21 years old, CGY 2nd round pick)

Vegas gave away a 2nd round pick (45th overall) to acquire Kolesar this summer, so it's interesting they're willing to put him down to the ECHL. But that's probably the best choice for his development.

These ECHL demotions aren't often discussed here, so I just figured I'd share them with everyone in case you're wondering why someone isn't playing in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Prospects demoted to the ECHL

Chances are pretty good that if a skater heads to the ECHL, he's never going to be an NHL player. Goalies are a bit different since there are only 2 spots on an AHL team and someone like Ville Husso was in the ECHL last year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Chances are pretty good that if a skater heads to the ECHL, he's never going to be an NHL player. Goalies are a bit different since there are only 2 spots on an AHL team and someone like Ville Husso was in the ECHL last year.
    I would agree this is solid advice. Can the same be said for Kolesar? Because the G Knights don't have a sole AHL team so they might have to spread some talent all the way to the ECHL?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Some somewhat interesting prospects have been demoted to the ECHL to start the season. This is obviously not good news if you're hoping these guys to crack the NHL roster anytime soon. Otherwise, it's not a bad thing to go there if they're just not ready to play at the AHL level (especially the 20-year-olds who are just starting their pro career), or they wouldn't get sufficient ice-time in the AHL (this is especially true for goalies).

NYI - Eamon McAdam, G (23 years old, NYI 3rd round pick)
    COL - J.C. Beaudin, C (20 years old, COL 3rd round pick)
    DET - Vili Saarijarvi, D (20 years old, DET 3rd round pick)
    DET - Zach Nastasiuk, RW (22 years old, DET 2nd round pick)
    STL - Conner Bleackley, C (21 years old, COL 1st round pick, then re-drafted in the 5th round by STL)
    VGK - Keegan Kolesar, RW (20 years old, CBJ 3rd round pick)
    CAR - Callum Booth, G (20 years old, CAR 4th round pick)
    CAR - Keegan Kanzig, D (22 years old, CGY 3rd round pick)
    CGY - Mason McDonald, G (21 years old, CGY 2nd round pick)

Vegas gave away a 2nd round pick (45th overall) to acquire Kolesar this summer, so it's interesting they're willing to put him down to the ECHL. But that's probably the best choice for his development.

These ECHL demotions aren't often discussed here, so I just figured I'd share them with everyone in case you're wondering why someone isn't playing in the AHL.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jouko-Pouko again.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would agree this is solid advice. Can the same be said for Kolesar? Because the G Knights don't have a sole AHL team so they might have to spread some talent all the way to the ECHL?
    Correct, they're sharing Chicago Wolves with the Blues. Not enough room for Kolesar or Bleakley when otherwise there might have been.

The Great One

A lot of NHL goalies have spent time in the Coast so a bit of a non story but some of those skaters require some context. So as not to be worried about them
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bleackley - what a fall.
    Pronman had a review/grading of the 2014 draft in theathletic.com yesterday.
    I have to honestly be that guy who admits he drafted Bleackley 30th overall in my own league's 2014 prospect draft.
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/NHL_Fanta...showtopic=2725
    (Brayden Point went 37, Nick Schmaltz 38...)

Nastasiuk was my 46th overall pick in 2013. {sigh}
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/NHL_Fanta...showtopic=2100

Dobber Sports Veteran

G Philippe Desrosiers from Texas (AHL) to Idaho (ECHL) ( https://federalnewsradio.com/sports-...nsactions-408/ )

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Correct, they're sharing Chicago Wolves with the Blues. Not enough room for Kolesar or Bleakley when otherwise there might have been.
    This is not quite right. The Chicago Wolves are the AHL team of the Vegas Golden Knights. St Louis does not have an AHL team for this season. They have prospects playing in both Chicago and San Antonio as of right now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

FWIW, I've heard some chatter about NHL teams rethinking their approach to using the ECHL as a development tool vs. having prospects play in Europe/junior. Goalies have been doing it for a while but I think we might start to see more top-9 skaters go that route to maximize ice time (vs competing with AHL vets) while still playing a more structured game (vs junior) on NA ice (vs Europe). Maybe this is the start of that actually happening. Or maybe these guys should be written off. haha Will be interesting to monitor since I believed that both Beaudin and Saarijarvi are legit threats to play in the NHL, despite owning neither in any pool.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is a surprise to me - Ottawa goalie Marcus Hogberg has been assigned to the ECHL. He was great at the top level in Sweden last season, so this was unexpected.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Bleackley - what a fall.
    Pronman had a review/grading of the 2014 draft in theathletic.com yesterday.
    I have to honestly be that guy who admits he drafted Bleackley 30th overall in my own league's 2014 prospect draft.
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/NHL_Fanta...showtopic=2725
    (Brayden Point went 37, Nick Schmaltz 38...)

Nastasiuk was my 46th overall pick in 2013. {sigh}
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/NHL_Fanta...showtopic=2100
    Maybe that stinks but it's worth revisiting the draft pick value chart. Basically, once you hit pick 25 your odds of landing an NHLer who plays 100 games turn into a coin flip. Also, somewhere around pick 15, your odds of landing a 4th liner or worse crank up to the 75% range. Basically, outside the top-15 or so, every hit should be considered luck.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Maybe that stinks but it's worth revisiting the draft pick value chart. Basically, once you hit pick 25 your odds of landing an NHLer who plays 100 games turn into a coin flip. Also, somewhere around pick 15, your odds of landing a 4th liner or worse crank up to the 75% range. Basically, outside the top-15 or so, every hit should be considered luck.
    That's not what TSN tells us every year on draft night...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Newbie

Read that the Leafs are going to start using the ECHL to start new prospects drafted and the Marles for the players that are ready or near ready for the NHL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    This is a surprise to me - Ottawa goalie Marcus Hogberg has been assigned to the ECHL. He was great at the top level in Sweden last season, so this was unexpected.
    Hogberg has been promoted to the AHL (https://theahl.com/stats/transactions)