Thread: Vegas opening ceremonies...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Vegas opening ceremonies...

Sorry in advance if this sets off a fire-storm.

It was obvious they were going to do something symbolic regarding the recent shooting, but I didn't expect this much. It's completely over the top in my opinion, and marks the first time I've heard the term "One October", which they've used several times in an obvious attempt to brand the incident the way 9-11 has been branded. Why do we do this? Honestly, why? Why do we brand these things and give them such power?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Vegas opening ceremonies...

I liked it, the only thing that was off was the Imperial Death March randomly playing. The announcer is great tho.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I liked it, the only thing that was off was the Imperial Death March randomly playing. The announcer is great tho.
    That was when the Coyotes skated on to the ice.

I thought it was well done.

Nice touch on bringing out the emergency service members during the player introduction.

I watched the first period before being an old man and falling asleep, was a great atmosphere.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Beyond the arena announcer (who, IMO, was annoying as shit and overly boisterous), I thought Vegas did a really great job with the opening ceremony.
    The first responder + VGK player walk-up was long, but I thought it was important. Thought the 58sec of silence was very good.
    I do agree that the "One October" was a bit too much, especially for how often they said it... it did seem like a "branding", which does feel too early for the travesty of the shootings.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Beyond the arena announcer (who, IMO, was annoying as shit and overly boisterous), I thought Vegas did a really great job with the opening ceremony.
    The first responder + VGK player walk-up was long, but I thought it was important. Thought the 58sec of silence was very good.
    I do agree that the "One October" was a bit too much, especially for how often they said it... it did seem like a "branding", which does feel too early for the travesty of the shootings.
    I wish he didn't say "Go Knights Go" for as long as he did. The voice and enthusiasm was nice to hear I thought. But I'm use to the Leafs one where it's always been....geared towards the business side (very professional I guess?)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I wish he didn't say "Go Knights Go" for as long as he did.
    You noticed that too, eh!
    I didn't think he could get any more annoying.
    I mean, how many times do you have to say it before the fans are perfectly capable of repeating it.
    I thought he'd do the first 2-3 times.
    If I had to guess from memory, I'd say he said it... 12 times...
    (Gotta find a clip and see how close I am to that estimate.)

[btw - I thought Engelland did solid job with his speech. Wasn't overdone, just very heart-felt & true.]

Found it.
    SEVENTEEN, 17 times!!!
    (18:34-)

Dobber Sports Titan

I was thinking he’d stop at 3, then he said it again and I thought, “ok 5”, then he kept going. Then all I could think was “Is he going to say it 58 times?” (victim number). That was ridiculous.

I’d be curious how much money was lost by not having ads on the boards. That was cool how the gold ones lit up a bit when it was dark. The whole thing was well done for a team who dropped the ball hard on the team announcement

Dobber Sports Veteran

Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    That was when the Coyotes skated on to the ice.

I thought it was well done.

Nice touch on bringing out the emergency service members during the player introduction.

I watched the first period before being an old man and falling asleep, was a great atmosphere.
    this old man recorded it/will watch this afternoon because he fell asleep before 10 , as usual

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Sorry in advance if this sets off a fire-storm.

It was obvious they were going to do something symbolic regarding the recent shooting, but I didn't expect this much. It's completely over the top in my opinion, and marks the first time I've heard the term "One October", which they've used several times in an obvious attempt to brand the incident the way 9-11 has been branded. Why do we do this? Honestly, why? Why do we brand these things and give them such power?
    Definitely hear the points you're making and agree that the One October thing is super super off-putting.

At the same time though I don't think it was over the top. They didn't do it for hockey fans, they did it for the city of Vegas and its residents. If it were my home, I sure as hell would have a difficult time going to an event like that when the last big event in Vegas was two blocks away and ended in 500+ people getting shot. There was a gigantic elephant in the room and i think they handled it with class. So in my opinion it was more about being sensitive and catering to the emotional climate of the city and less about the NHL honoring the victims.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Definitely hear the points you're making and agree that the One October thing is super super off-putting.

At the same time though I don't think it was over the top. They didn't do it for hockey fans, they did it for the city of Vegas and its residents. If it were my home, I sure as hell would have a difficult time going to an event like that when the last big event in Vegas was two blocks away and ended in 500+ people getting shot. There was a gigantic elephant in the room and i think they handled it with class. So in my opinion it was more about being sensitive and catering to the emotional climate of the city and less about the NHL honoring the victims.
    Fair point. My big problem was the attempted coining of "One October".

I also just find it awkward and weird to combine sad things with the booming voice of a sports announcer. "Here's a doctor that worked 40 hours straight, sorting through blood and guts to save as many lives as he could, and now here's JAAAAAMMMMEEESSSS NEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLL!!"

Dobber Sports Pro

Fair point. My big problem was the attempted coining of "One October".

I also just find it awkward and weird to combine sad things with the booming voice of a sports announcer. "Here's a doctor that worked 40 hours straight, sorting through blood and guts to save as many lives as he could, and now here's JAAAAAMMMMEEESSSS NEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLL!!"
    I hope that the One October thing is something that already exists but just hasn't really bubbled outside of the Vegas community yet. Otherwise it seems like insensitive branding for future SEO and hashtags. And I definitely did not care for the announcer, he was really weird.

Likelihood of Engelland getting the C went up tenfold after last night. Not sure who's a better candidate for it at this point, the hometown thing should help convert non-hockey fans. To be honest it's just super shitty that their inaugural season will forever be associated with a mass shooting. Wtf is wrong with people

Dobber Sports Jedi

Everything is over the top in Vegas, why would anyone be surprised the announcer is too?

Back to topic at hand. Bravo to the VGK's on this tribute.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Everything is over the top in Vegas, why would anyone be surprised the announcer is too?

Back to topic at hand. Bravo to the VGK's on this tribute.
    Back to the topic at hand? All of this was the topic. The announcer is part of the topic.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Back to the topic at hand? All of this was the topic. The announcer is part of the topic.
    the tribute is what I took as the topic. the over the top announcer I interpreted as a sub-topic.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4