Thread: Credit Cards

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Credit Cards

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What does this mean?
    Yeah what lol

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In the US, different cards have different perks - so the best-of-the-best spending gurus have between 2-4 cards in their wallets.
    I don't know if this exists in Canada.
    [My fave website for general penny-pinching, here in US, is www.clark.com, they go over this stuff often - and other general money things, like advising me that I should freeze my credit after the info-leak that I was unlucky to be a part of!]

Our family has:
    *AmEx - which has 6% off at grocery stores, 3% off at gas stations. $95/annual fee, but we max out the grocery savings 6% x $6000/yr = $360... and that pays for the annual fee and still equates to about 4.4% net grocery discount.
    *TargetRedCard - which is 5% off at Target. We buy a lot of groceries there too as well as general toiletries and kids clothes.
    *USAA - 2.5% everywhere with $1000/direct deposit monthly to USAA account.

Summary is:
    5% off whenever going to Target
    4.4% off (effective) when getting groceries elsewhere
    3% off gas
    2.5% off everything else

IIRC, most credit cards take 2%-3% from the merchants who run their cards...
    So offering the consumer 1% really isn't a big offering... in the grand scheme of the spending show.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I'm currently using a 1% cashback card
    One real cool trick is this: If you can get a really good "grocery" card, then you use that to buy "gift cards" at a grocery store that you KNOW you will spend (and not lose, or not spend all of... I hate gift cards...).
    Like $100 at HomeDepot, well, if it is bought at grocery store at a 5% discount, then you really are only paying $95 for $100 of HomeDepot spending!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    A no fees card that gives you 1% IS awful.

Invest in your spending and you should be able to get more than what these companies are offering
    I'm also waiting to hear what this means.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Magnificent One

I don't have advice in terms of specific cards, but I highly recommend trying to own two credit cards. One you use ONLY online, and the other you NEVER use online. And the online one should have a low limit in case it gets compromised.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I don't have advice in terms of specific cards, but I highly recommend trying to own two credit cards. One you use ONLY online, and the other you NEVER use online. And the online one should have a low limit in case it gets compromised.
    thats actually solid advice regarding the ''online only'' angle with low limit .

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In the US, different cards have different perks - so the best-of-the-best spending gurus have between 2-4 cards in their wallets.
    I don't know if this exists in Canada.
    [My fave website for general penny-pinching, here in US, is www.clark.com, they go over this stuff often - and other general money things, like advising me that I should freeze my credit after the info-leak that I was unlucky to be a part of!]

Our family has:
    *AmEx - which has 6% off at grocery stores, 3% off at gas stations. $95/annual fee, but we max out the grocery savings 6% x $6000/yr = $360... and that pays for the annual fee and still equates to about 4.4% net grocery discount.
    *TargetRedCard - which is 5% off at Target. We buy a lot of groceries there too as well as general toiletries and kids clothes.
    *USAA - 2.5% everywhere with $1000/direct deposit monthly to USAA account.

Summary is:
    5% off whenever going to Target
    4.4% off (effective) when getting groceries elsewhere
    3% off gas
    2.5% off everything else

IIRC, most credit cards take 2%-3% from the merchants who run their cards...
    So offering the consumer 1% really isn't a big offering... in the grand scheme of the spending show.

One real cool trick is this: If you can get a really good "grocery" card, then you use that to buy "gift cards" at a grocery store that you KNOW you will spend (and not lose, or not spend all of... I hate gift cards...).
    Like $100 at HomeDepot, well, if it is bought at grocery store at a 5% discount, then you really are only paying $95 for $100 of HomeDepot spending!
    Bingo

What I meant to say was that you really need to research your own lifestyle and pick the best card from there. There is probably over 100 different reward type of cards in circulation (in Canada alone) and each has their own advantages.