Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Tolvanen

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Tolvanen

I drafted Tolvanen in one of my drafts last year - I think around 15th overall - and have been contemplating moving him. After reading this thread, I am having second (and third) thoughts.

I knew the kid was a stud but the Russian factor bothers me. I don't know how much money he is making in the KHL but the best he can do in the NHL is a ELC - so he might just decide to stick around for the duration of his contract or beyond.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I drafted Tolvanen in one of my drafts last year - I think around 15th overall - and have been contemplating moving him. After reading this thread, I am having second (and third) thoughts.

I knew the kid was a stud but the Russian factor bothers me. I don't know how much money he is making in the KHL but the best he can do in the NHL is a ELC - so he might just decide to stick around for the duration of his contract or beyond.
    He's only signed for this season, and then he has player option to play another season if he wants to. I think he moves on to the NHL after this season. He wants to play in the NHL. I'm guessing his player option 2nd year isn't all that high money-wise because he was completely unproven when they signed that contract.

EDIT: And he's playing for a Finnish KHL team, not a Russian team. No Russian factor with a Finnish kid playing for a Finnish team.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Doubtful he makes the nhl next year. Will need AHL time for sure and there’s no room

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    Doubtful he makes the nhl next year. Will need AHL time for sure and there’s no room
    I disagree with both points. His transition to the KHL has been seamless, his transition to international men's hockey has been seamless. He needs to take another step to make the NHL but that's a much smaller step than what junior players take every year when they make the NHL. There's no reason to think he can't take that step, although it's obviously possible he needs some time in the AHL. But there's no reason to think that's absolutely necessary. He doesn't shy away from physical play.

Hartnell's contract ends after this season, so Tolvanen can take that spot. Forsberg and Arvidsson are the only wingers who are clearly ahead of Tolvanen, so there's room on that Nashville roster for him. Guys like Jarnkrok and Smith are better suited for 3rd line anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I disagree with both points. His transition to the KHL has been seamless, his transition to international men's hockey has been seamless. He needs to take another step to make the NHL but that's a much smaller step than what junior players take every year when they make the NHL. There's no reason to think he can't take that step, although it's obviously possible he needs some time in the AHL. But there's no reason to think that's absolutely necessary. He doesn't shy away from physical play.

Hartnell's contract ends after this season, so Tolvanen can take that spot. Forsberg and Arvidsson are the only wingers who are clearly ahead of Tolvanen, so there's room on that Nashville roster for him. Guys like Jarnkrok and Smith are better suited for 3rd line anyways.
    that’s not international play. The Olympic teams this year are absolutely terrible . Not a good benchmark to judge a player

khl and international play isn’t the same as North American hockey. Tolvanen isn’t a high level prospect who doesn’t need AHL time just because he’s putting up points in a euro league

Dobber Sports Wizard

that’s not international play. The Olympic teams this year are absolutely terrible . Not a good benchmark to judge a player

khl and international play isn’t the same as North American hockey. Tolvanen isn’t a high level prospect who doesn’t need AHL time just because he’s putting up points in a euro league
    Have you actually watched him playing? He plays a very North American style of hockey. Just because he plays in Europe doesn't automatically mean he definitely needs AHL time. What's your reasoning why he would need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Have you actually watched him playing? He plays a very North American style of hockey. Just because he plays in Europe doesn't automatically mean he definitely needs AHL time. What's your reasoning why he would need it?
    I’ve watched him play, it’s not about his play style it’s the fact that Playing in North America on North American ice is completely different and almost every European who isn’t a high pick needs some AHL time to adjust. ITs not a smart bet to think he won’t get AHL time

Dobber Sports Wizard

I’ve watched him play, it’s not about his play style it’s the fact that Playing in North America on North American ice is completely different and almost every European who isn’t a high pick needs some AHL time to adjust. ITs not a smart bet to think he won’t get AHL time
    Are you forgetting he just played 2 seasons in North America on North American ice? I mean, did he just suddenly forget how to play there now that he's played a few months on European ice?

Players like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin have made the jump from KHL to the NHL without seeing any AHL time, and those guys didn't have any experience playing in North America before that. Tolvanen's two seasons in the USHL are a big advantage for him in making the transition to the NHL.

He might need some AHL time but that's far from certain and also doesn't mean he's going to spend the entire season down there. For wingers, the difference in rink-size isn't actually all that significant. It's a much bigger transition for D-men and goalies especially but less so for wingers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

He might see some AHL time but there is a high chance he plays a lot of games in the NHL.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

"Not a high level prospect" - lol

"The Russian Factor" - lol

Tolvanen was rated as a top 10 pick that fell for reasons that are probably going to make 29 GMs look really dumb. He's a Finnish player playing for a Finnish KHL after moving to North America for his age 16 and age 17 seasons to play in the USHL. He's scoring and generating at a historic rate for his age in the KHL, better than players like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko did at the same age. Nashville just traded away their other most NHL-ready prospect.

Will he need AHL time? Maybe, I dunno. Teams do stupid shit. But Tolvanen absolutely is a high end prospect, is Finnish not Russian (the xenophobia really is ridiculous), has already willingly come to North America, and has marginal players ahead of him that he needs to beat out for a roster spot.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not sure why some refuse to see what Tolvanen is doing now as a giant step forward since his draft. Even Dobber has him criminally underrated - he is ranked 146th prospect on his latest list! 146th!. That is bordering negligent. Big mistake to ignore his accomplishments at this point.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post

He has a one year contract, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

He's Finnish, not Russian, so unless "the Russian factor" somehow has become a larger issue, I wouldn't even think that it would be an issue. And like others said, he's playing on a Finnish KHL team. None of that is an issue.

Plus the whole reason he was in the USHL in the first place was because he wanted to come to North America and play here and show he can play North American hockey. He came as a kid and played two seasons here already. There's no issue here. His goal is the NHL. He won't dip.

And here's the kicker. The KHL was a last minute thing for him. His plan was always the NCAA but he ended up not being accepted into Boston College after not meeting their admission requirements. So he went to the KHL for a year. There's nothing to see here. No reason to worry at all
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Not sure why some refuse to see what Tolvanen is doing now as a giant step forward since his draft. Even Dobber has him criminally underrated - he is ranked 146th prospect on his latest list! 146th!. That is bordering negligent. Big mistake to ignore his accomplishments at this point.
    Yeah I always look for him on his list and am shocked. Right now with 23 points in 25 games he's seen a small dip in production, I'm sure it's a league adjustment and am curious to see how he adjusts/preforms for the remainder of the year.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

The Great One

Now's a good time to reevaluate his numbers.

It's not a 'hot start' anymore.

He's been doing it and you gotta give him props. Is he a top 7 prospect who hasn't played in the NHL yet? Has to be.

Dobber Sports Wizard

4 point game today: 2+2 so now he has 29 points in 28 games.