Thread: Goalie Tiers

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Goalie Tiers

League changed things up this year and added Saves as goalie category. What do you think of my tiers and rankings with W/GAA/SV%/Svs?

Tier 1
    Holtby,Talbot, Bobrovsky, Price, Murray
    I've pretty confident Tier 1 is the 5 mentioned and they are a step above the rest.

Tier 2
    Dubnyk, Allen, Rask, Crawford, Quick, Rinne, Lundy, M. Jones
    Tier 2 is all confirmed #1 guys, track record of solid play on solid teams.

Tier 3
    Bishop, F. AndersEn, C. AndersOn, Gibson, Vasilevsky, M. Smith
    Tier 3 are also all confirmed starers. Some risk of fewer games due to injuries or starters, lack of track record etc.

Tier 4
    Darling, Mason, Lehner, Schnedier, Elliott, MAF
    Tier 4- Darling is a mystery to me, I have him targeted but think he slips a ways down on draft day. Can Schneider become relevant on the terrible Devils? MAF will get starts, Svs and respectable SV% but no wins

Tier 5-tandems
    Florida/NYI/Arizona/Detroit/Vancouver/Colorado
    Tier 5- platoons on bad team. Don't really want to touch any of this... Maybe Greiss if I reach into this pool

Thoughts?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Goalie Tiers

Raanta - Tier 4 as well IMO.. I'd be tempted to put Andersen in Tier 2, but would wait to see how this season unfolds - I expect Bishop to move up a tier by seasons end and Rinne & Lundy to drop to tier 3. I think their flames are burning low.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

I like Raanta and Smith in tier 4....and then Schneider and mayyyyyyyyyyybe Darling in tier 3.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

These are very good.
    My Tier 2/3/4 are all very close.
    In fact, I think the goalie-group is extraordinarily close this year and tiering itself doesn't convey that close-ness.

Bob is in my Tier 2, which includes Tier 3. It's a 2/3 for me.
    Mike Smith is on the 3/4 edge. (obv -there is grey area in real world of non-groups)

The one thing I will say is that SV is real.
    Goalies on bad teams with bad defenses giving up high volumes of shots can be worthwhile.
    If all teams in fantasy league roster same start count (164gp, say), then those with goalies on highest SOGA teams will win SV.

I've had this in past years and refuse to draft quality D-team goalies like Dubnyk/Allen/Quick because their defenses limit shots and thus... saves.

The ideal candidate in these leagues is a goalie on a team that may give up a ton of shots... and yet... WIN.
    Look to teams with AWESOME offenses and borderline defenses.
    I have one or two of these guys as favourites... but I'd like to not mention them as people vultured them in front of me last year knowing it was my plan. Argh.

I'll send you some rep for a great post/topic and include four names I target late in drafts this year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tier 5. I like Halak over Griess. Darling moves up to tier 3 cause dobber likes him and cause he is getting his shot as starter this year. Anderson moves up to tier 2 for me. Dubnyk very close to tier 1 for me. I'd take Dubnyk over Murray and in my league.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    These are very good.
    My Tier 2/3/4 are all very close.
    In fact, I think the goalie-group is extraordinarily close this year and tiering itself doesn't convey that close-ness.

Bob is in my Tier 2, which includes Tier 3. It's a 2/3 for me.
    Mike Smith is on the 3/4 edge. (obv -there is grey area in real world of non-groups)

The one thing I will say is that SV is real.
    Goalies on bad teams with bad defenses giving up high volumes of shots can be worthwhile.
    If all teams in fantasy league roster same start count (164gp, say), then those with goalies on highest SOGA teams will win SV.

I've had this in past years and refuse to draft quality D-team goalies like Dubnyk/Allen/Quick because their defenses limit shots and thus... saves.

The ideal candidate in these leagues is a goalie on a team that may give up a ton of shots... and yet... WIN.
    Look to teams with AWESOME offenses and borderline defenses.
    I have one or two of these guys as favourites... but I'd like to not mention them as people vultured them in front of me last year knowing it was my plan. Argh.

I'll send you some rep for a great post/topic and include four names I target late in drafts this year.
    Teams with awesome offence and borderline defence? Leafs. I would put him into Tier 2 as well
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

The Great One

Weird - so saves and save percentage? I'd almost put Bob and Dubnyk in a 1B - they're too good for 2 but not good enough for 1. Mine would be:

Tier 1
    Holtby,Talbot, Price, Murray
    I've pretty confident Tier 1 is the 5 mentioned and they are a step above the rest.

Tier 1B
    Dubnyk, Bobrovsky

Tier 2
    Bishop, Allen, Rask, Andersen, Quick, Lundy, M. Jones

Tier 3
    Crawford, Rinne, C. AndersOn, Gibson, Vasilevsky, M. Smith
    Tier 3 are also all confirmed starers. Some risk of fewer games due to injuries or starters, lack of track record etc.

Tier 4
    Darling, Mason, Lehner, Schnedier, Elliott, MAF, Raanta
    Tier 4- Darling is a mystery to me, I have him targeted but think he slips a ways down on draft day. Can Schneider become relevant on the terrible Devils? MAF will get starts, Svs and respectable SV% but no wins

Tier 5-tandems
    Florida/NYI/Detroit/Vancouver/Colorado
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

I would swap Hank/Quick down for Bishop and Gibson.

I would also bump Raanta up.

All in all not hugely going to fuss over it because it looks decent!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    League changed things up this year and added Saves as goalie category. What do you think of my tiers and rankings with W/GAA/SV%/Svs?

Tier 1
    Holtby,Talbot, Bobrovsky, Price, Murray

Tier 2
    Dubnyk, Allen, Rask, Crawford, Quick, Rinne, Lundy, M. Jones

Tier 3
    Bishop, F. AndersEn, C. AndersOn, Gibson, Vasilevsky, M. Smith

Tier 4
    Darling, Mason, Lehner, Schnedier, Elliott, MAF

Tier 5-tandems
    Florida/NYI/Arizona/Detroit/Vancouver/Colorado
    Tier 5- platoons on bad team. Don't really want to touch any of this... Maybe Greiss if I reach into this pool

Thoughts?
    Pretty good tiers, I don't disagree with most of the ranking overall. I think Tier 2 and 3 have some guys I would swap, or just merge the tiers. A small tweak to tier 4

Here's how I see Tiers 2-4 if I had to do it

Tier 2: Dubnyk, Crawford, Rask, M. Jones, Bishop, AndersEn, Vasilevskiy
    Tier 3: Quick, Gibson, AndersOn, M.Smith
    Tier 4: Schneider, Darling, Lehner, Elliott, MAF, Raanta

Tier 2 and 3 are so close that I would either merge them into one tier. MSMith and AndersOn worry me, they might be the top guys in the tier below.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

I bump Schiender up to Tier 3 and Smith down to Tier 4 and Raanta to Tier 4.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nice job! I would definitely bump up F. Andersen, Darling and Schneider up a tier. F. Andersen is a volume start goalie on an improving team and will provide a big boost in the Saves category. Up until last season, Schneider provided solid value - and NJ will be a better team this year. An argument can be made for moving Gibson up IF you could get 60 starts out of him. Based on C.Anderson's off/on year cycle, I'd bump him down a notch.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Also - Price is definitely a Tier I goalie but one I'm not willing to invest the 1st round pick necessary to acquire him. I think MTL is going to be trending downward this year - they have a thin defense and trouble scoring - and his overall numbers will take a dip.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category