Thread: Persuasive Essay about hockey ideas

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Persuasive Essay about hockey ideas

Anyone have any ideas on a persuasive essay topic about hockey? Have to write a paper and is due in a few days.

The Great One

Default Re: Persuasive Essay about hockey ideas

Concussions are a hot button issues- even for readers who arent "hardcore fans" perse. The links to depression/suicide with enforcers?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Concussions are a hot button issues- even for readers who arent "hardcore fans" perse. The links to depression/suicide with enforcers?
    Very good idea. Was considering doing a paper on this. I find it hard to write or get engaged with anything that doesn't have to do with hockey so just going to make all my papers to do with hockey.

Why professional athletes should not kneel during anthems would be a good one too lol.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Very good idea. Was considering doing a paper on this. I find it hard to write or get engaged with anything that doesn't have to do with hockey so just going to make all my papers to do with hockey.

Why professional athletes should not kneel during anthems would be a good one too lol.
    Yea- thats as hut button as it gets right now- lol!!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would not consider concussions. That's mainly medical/safety interpretation and an educated professor will rip you to shreds on your style/take.
    Go with something that is more difficult for a professor to challenge - but still seems "deep".
    And also - you go with something that you "as a younger person", may have better current-day grasp on.

Draft Age
    I believe Pierre LeBrun had an article on theathletic recently about proposing to revise the NHL draft age from age 18 (as of Sept 15) to age 19 (as of Sept 15).
    You can parallel that other age 18/19 changes over the years:
    *Drinking age in different parts of Canada
    *Ontario once has a grade 13 (OAC) many years ago to delay entry to Univ. to a later date. I believe QC has/had CGEP - not sure on that age.

And you could also discuss things like delayed driving license age (not sure about Canada, but in US learner's permit is 16-17th birthday, I think).
    And then you could feed in your own thoughts about player maturity for a professional league at that age - both mental, physical, emotional maturity readiness.

You could also discuss the common trait of sending canadian junior players (CHL) back to their junior clubs anyways - until age 20, when they can professionally play on their NHL team's minor league roster.

I think this is a good topic with lots of options about youth-to-adulthood maturity and generally "entering the professional work environment" (which is good topic for any student).

Administrator

Why teams avoid using offer sheets

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I would not consider concussions. That's mainly medical/safety interpretation and an educated professor will rip you to shreds on your style/take.
    Go with something that is more difficult for a professor to challenge - but still seems "deep".
    And also - you go with something that you "as a younger person", may have better current-day grasp on.

Draft Age
    I believe Pierre LeBrun had an article on theathletic recently about proposing to revise the NHL draft age from age 18 (as of Sept 15) to age 19 (as of Sept 15).
    You can parallel that other age 18/19 changes over the years:
    *Drinking age in different parts of Canada
    *Ontario once has a grade 13 (OAC) many years ago to delay entry to Univ. to a later date. I believe QC has/had CGEP - not sure on that age.

And you could also discuss things like delayed driving license age (not sure about Canada, but in US learner's permit is 16-17th birthday, I think).
    And then you could feed in your own thoughts about player maturity for a professional league at that age - both mental, physical, emotional maturity readiness.

You could also discuss the common trait of sending canadian junior players (CHL) back to their junior clubs anyways - until age 20, when they can professionally play on their NHL team's minor league roster.

I think this is a good topic with lots of options about youth-to-adulthood maturity and generally "entering the professional work environment" (which is good topic for any student).
    Thanks a lot Pengwin. This is only a 600 word essay so shouldn't take too long, this one in particular is worth 15% of my mark. It's 600 level English so grade 11 or 12 equivalent. Been a while (5 years) since I been in school but so far I'm liking it.

Dobber Sports Titan

How the economy of a city is relative to the success of a team?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks a lot Pengwin. This is only a 600 word essay so shouldn't take too long, this one in particular is worth 15% of my mark. It's 600 level English so grade 11 or 12 equivalent. Been a while (5 years) since I been in school but so far I'm liking it.
    600 words!
    I typed out 600 words in my post!!!
    Damn - how'd I miss out on that class in college?!!!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Why teams avoid using offer sheets
    I'd love to read that paper. I feel like if I was a GM I'd offer sheet any stud RFA I can if it would mean he ends up on my team instead of a rival. Goal is to win, right?

Dobber Sports Monster

I think you can pull off an essay on concussions if you focus on the legal aspects. Check out Eric Macramalla's stuff on it and previous articles from a few years ago.

But yeah, the political stuff would certainly fit the bill too - something about whether the NHL should or shouldn't kneel, or the Whitehouse visits, etc.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I think you can pull off an essay on concussions if you focus on the legal aspects. Check out Eric Macramalla's stuff on it and previous articles from a few years ago.

But yeah, the political stuff would certainly fit the bill too - something about whether the NHL should or shouldn't kneel, or the Whitehouse visits, etc.
    I did the essay on how athletes shouldn't kneel during nation anthems. Pretty well done it now, just have to go over it later and do the finishing touches but so far am happy with it. Thanks everyone for their responses it helped a lot.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    600 words!
    I typed out 600 words in my post!!!
    Damn - how'd I miss out on that class in college?!!!
    LOL!!

You could write a essay about how fantasy hockey over took your life! Oh wait, that's me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

When people tell me "LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT FANTASY HOCKEY" ... am like "yeah it is" lol