Thread: 1st overall who do I pick?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default 1st overall who do I pick?

Hello,

First time poster here long time hockey fan and reader. Background of my league, 16 teams, 2nd year into keeper league, we each keep 3 players from last year (2 forwards, 1 dman). Next year we expand to 5 keepers, (3 forwards, 1dman, 1 goalie). Simple scoring format.

Stat Categories;
    Goals - 2 Points
    Assists - 1 Point
    Goalie Wins - 2 Points
    Shutouts - 2 points

My Keepers currently (Mathews, Kucherov, Oliver Ekman Larsson)

We just had the draft lottery and I came out with first overall pick. I also have pick #14 in the first round thanks to trading for an additional 1st rounder last year.

My question is who do I take at #1 and who do I take at #14???

I was leaning towards picking goalie first overall and forward with the 14th pick because if I wait til 14 to grab a goalie all the good goalies will be gone most likely.

Considering it's a keeper I was considering Matt Murray? (Price kind of injury prone, Talbot I was interested in but Edmonton will have cap troubles down the road, Holtby I love but Washington is getting a bit old. Dubnyk meh.

Here are all the forwards I am interested in below;
    Ehlers
    Mackinnon
    Duchene
    Guenztel
    Galchenyek
    Radulov
    Backstrom
    Kessel
    Simmonds
    Forsberg
    Bergeron
    Monahan
    Wennberg
    Hall
    Stone
    Sheary
    Carter
    Couture
    Barkov
    Hoffman
    Perry
    Kopitar
    Granlund
    Saad
    Huberdeau

Thoughts???

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 1st overall who do I pick?

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't be worried about Talbot and Edmonton's cap troubles. That being said, make your picks based on being competitive for three year increments at most, and don't think past there. In a limited keeper like this it's so easy to have some turnover and re-shape your keepers. I wouldn't think twice about drafting Holtby (second Price, third Talbot, fourth Murray).

I would then see who falls to you at 14 for forwards. Bergeron, Forsberg, Barkov, Ehlers, Kessel, Monahan, Wennberg and Guentzel are all names I would be happy with.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

With your scoring for goalies, looks like they hold less value then most leagues. Think I go forward someone like Backstrom or maybe Simmonds.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Does anyone currently have a goalie keeper?

I'd be happy with Backstrom, Barkov, Ehlers, Monahan. If you start the draft taking a goalie then other should follow and you will have plenty of forwards to choose from.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for the quick replies guys, also love the photo audiopile. Can't decide which one to compliment more the team or the model .

As per your question, no one currently has goalies. Next year will be the first year we keep a goalie and also one additional forward. Meaning my first two picks will obviously be Goalie/Forward or Forward/Goalie. I have stocked a boat load of draft picks going into this year including;
    Two first rounders - Pick 1 & 14
    One 2nd Rounder - Pick 13
    Five 3rd Rounders - Pick 1 & 10 & 11 & 14 & 16

I have considered the 3 year timeline in terms of keeper selections I just kind of figured price to be a bit injury prone. Same I guess could be said for Murray and the addition of Niemi poses a huge risk. Holtby has a great track record but doesn't everyone else see Washington regressing a bit? Oshies shooting percentage for example? Now way he keeps that up. Also the defense in Washington has taken a bit of a step back. Tough one I hate first pick in any league. Holtby was a monster for me two years a go...

One thing to consider with players is I have Kucherov and Mathews already (RW &C). Ideally I would want another winger, preferably lw at #14 overall if I do select a goalie with my 1st overall. That way my keepers would be RW, LW, C.

Available left wingers;
    Forsberg
    Hoffman
    Saad
    Huberdeay,
    Ehlers,
    Skinner,
    Hall
    Neal
    Rakell
    Guentzel
    Sheary
    Galchenyek

If I do go Goalie 1st overall it's between Murray and Holtby I think. I love Price but Montreal is going to take a step back and Price just gets injured to often.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I should have read your first post thoroughly.

Murray or Holtby and then Ehlers, Hoffman, maybe Guentzel if you are a believer.