Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rank these Goalies - REP

The Wolverine

Default Re: Rank these Goalies - REP

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Anecdotal as best so far...
    Rask in 14-15 went .922/2.30 and dropped to .915/2.56 in 15-16. The last half of 14-15 he was .916/2.06

Crawford in 12-13 went .926/1.94 and dropped to .917/2.26 in 13-14. The last half of 12-13 he went .903/2.40

Lehtonen in 13-14 went .919/2.41 and dropped to .903/2.94 in 14-15. The last half of 13-14 he went .913/2.30
    Fair enough. I think I was Rizzee who likes to use last year's second half production as reasoning to be cautious/optimistic about players, but I hadn't heard any evidence that it's relevant.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Fair enough. I think I was Rizzee who likes to use last year's second half production as reasoning to be cautious/optimistic about players, but I hadn't heard any evidence that it's relevant.
    I like to use second half production when it's different - in a good or bad direction - than yearlong totals. The exception is for guys like Palat and Monahan who seem to have settled into a pattern of doing poorly in the first half but always great in the second half.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I like to use second half production when it's different - in a good or bad direction - than yearlong totals. The exception is for guys like Palat and Monahan who seem to have settled into a pattern of doing poorly in the first half but always great in the second half.
    Thanks. To stick to the OP's focus on goalies and the earlier comment about Dubnyk, why do you feel his second half last year is more relevant simply because it's the first poor stretch in a very strong 2 1/2 years on the Wild? He had such a strong first half that even with the second half struggles, his final numbers were still up there with the best in the league.

Have you any evidence of such players, especially goalies (aside from the anecdotal evidence mentioned above), that shows the previous year's uncharacteristic second half is at least statistically significant to the point of a basis of predicting future performance?

The Great One

I don't recall saying that about Dubnyk, or goalies. Was it ITT, or elsewhere? Maybe I inadvertently implied it? Either way, apologies if that was the takeaway, since I like to use second half metrics for skaters only.

I think Dubnyk did come back to earth a bit, but so too did the team around him. He should be fine this season - at or near the top of the second echelon of netminders.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I don't recall saying that about Dubnyk, or goalies. Was it ITT, or elsewhere? Maybe I inadvertently implied it? Either way, apologies if that was the takeaway, since I like to use second half metrics for skaters only.

I think Dubnyk did come back to earth a bit, but so too did the team around him. He should be fine this season - at or near the top of the second echelon of netminders.
    I thought you did, but my apologies for the assumption. Thanks for the clarification.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I thought you did, but my apologies for the assumption. Thanks for the clarification.
    All good!