Thread: Who would you target if you were going to move Crosby?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who would you target if you were going to move Crosby?

10 team (keep 7 any position) Head to Head League

Goals, Assists, +/-, PPP, PIM, GWG, SOG
    (Wins, GAA, Saes, Shutouts)

My keepers: Crosby, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Laine, Pavelski, Holtby, TBD (bubble is probably Klingberg?)

I havent fully decided to move on, but as we start to get a little further into our keeper league, I feel the time may be good to start looking towards getting younger for the future. I have some thoughts and targets of my own but curious who he's going for these days, therefore who I should target. McDavid is out of the question I already know.

As always, the input and feedback is appreciated.
    Thx

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who would you target if you were going to move Crosby?

Eichel before he breaks out this year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Eichel before he breaks out this year.
    thats where this recently started up again in my head to be honest.

Crosby
    for
    Eichel + ?

notables from his roster:

Monahan
    Marchand
    Granlund
    Pietrangelo
    Letang
    Murray
    Rask
    Allen
    other notables from my roster I could send the other way if we needed to get creative. (I'd rather leave my other big guns out of it if including Sid):

Pavelski
    Skinner
    OEL
    Kilngberg
    Ghost
    Tkachuk (think Eichel owner is a flames fan)
    Holtby?
    Vasilevsky
    Darling

I cant decide how to approach the +? The owner is new and I don't know them very well.

Dobber Sports Titan

Try Letang. The upside is there to be worth it, but he also has enough risk to him that you may be able to pull it off.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thx Eskimo Bro

Any Eichel owners out there that can chime in and let me know their thoughts?

Dobber Sports Rookie

I'd think that any format that allows for Marchand's versatility should him a target. Not above Eichel maybe but any one else on your list of interest.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If it came down to a 1-1 for Eichel, would you do it or walk away? Im finding it hard to get a + on many of the players I could make a move for. Kane, Eichel, Stamkos, Schieffle etc. Now trying to see if its the new normal for Sid or whether to just hold and use him.

Am in win now and looking to repeat. but also dont want to have an aging core I cant move in the coming years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Also, could maybe get Brent Burns in a 2-2 deal. How long do ppl think he'll stay relevant in the top 1-2 Dmen conversation?

I've never really been one to value Ds as high as some people do because I figured the extra points a forward earns makes it a easy choice to aim for forwards over D men. Do I need a re-education here are the Karlssons and Burns of the world as valuable as the Croby's and McDavids etc because they produce so highly from the D position?

Thx, really trying to make sense of whether to keep looking for a deal or walk away?

Dobber Sports Pro

Eichel in a 1 for 1 would be a good deal for you to get younger.

- - - Updated - - -

Letang. Ughh.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Checking back in with some new info:

There have been some other offers too that don't do it for me, I'm trying to decide if this does/should do it for me.

I think I can acquire Stamkos + 1 of Malkin/Pacioretty for Crosby.

FHGeek shows Max Pac at a pretty high value for our format. Would this be enough of a return for Sid if both (for ex. Stamkos/MaxPac) factored into keepers moving forward? I don't really know exactly who my 7 (of any position) would be at the end of the year (right now its as listed above in OP, but could also lose/move Pavelski and maybe Sid obv, could also move to 2xG?). This year's recently completed draft picks that could turn keeper include Jeff Skinner, and/or a D man (OEL/Kilingberg/Gostisbehere), another year of Matthew Tkachuk?

I suppose my feedback here may be that Im (sorta) leaning (kinda) towards this deal. If/when Stamkos gets hurt again, it would pretty much screw me and if maybe same if Stamkos stays healthy but MaxPac starts to taper off in next 2-3 years, which I don't know/think will happen so quickly?!?

Thoughts?

only other issue is this puts Crosby in the hands of the McJesus owner. Would/should that be a stopping point right there? Making the rich even richer?

Dobber Sports Sage

What's the rush to get rid of Sid? I like targeting Eichel but as an Eichel owner I'm prepped for him to explode this season and because I feel really good about my team I probably don't do that deal 1 for 1 (I say probably because if the offer came it would be really tempting) but adding on is where the conversation would likely end for me.

All that said if I owned Sid and someone wanted him for Eichel straight up I'm pretty confident I would also say no.

Point is, when you are the one offering a top tier player like Crosby people often try to undervalue them and want to get more from you because you've shown your cards (that you want to trade them). I've found with top end talent you want to be approached before making a trade. Let Crosby do his thing and explode for 30 points in his first 20-25 games and hope he stays healthy. Then wait for GMs to come a knockin'. If you're in an active league they will come and you will be in a position of power and able to get better value for who is very likely to be one of the top 3 fantasy assets this year and for a few more years.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    What's the rush to get rid of Sid? I like targeting Eichel but as an Eichel owner I'm prepped for him to explode this season and because I feel really good about my team I probably don't do that deal 1 for 1 (I say probably because if the offer came it would be really tempting) but adding on is where the conversation would likely end for me.

All that said if I owned Sid and someone wanted him for Eichel straight up I'm pretty confident I would also say no.
    2 things here...

1) Purpose of making him avail...I originally wanted to see what offering up Crosby could get me in an attempt to get to get younger. But younger in this context meant only a few guys. I have made it crystal clear that I am happy to hold onto him, but that he would likely command the most in return (more on how inactive our league can be can be found below). I hear you on showing your cards, but I do this exercise 1-2 every 2-3 years just to see what "could" happen. I've kept him every time and enjoyed his seasons since playing pretty healthy.

2) I did target Eichel, and then (a big maybe w/) Matthews, but was hoping for the player and a + in return. Eichel owner like you said no and theres no chance of me adding a + to it. Eichel was an offer, Matthews (@ 1-1 anyways) was only a discussion after the "+___ "requests failed. Matthews' owner (currently) holds him tighter than Eichel's. Even a P. Kane 1-1 wasnt happening, whether I would still do it or not remains unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I've found with top end talent you want to be approached before making a trade. Let Crosby do his thing and explode for 30 points in his first 20-25 games and hope he stays healthy. Then wait for GMs to come a knockin'. If you're in an active league they will come and you will be in a position of power and able to get better value for who is very likely to be one of the top 3 fantasy assets this year and for a few more years.
    Ours is not an overly active league (lately). The only offers that'll come in, even with an explosive Crosby start, will likely be underwhelming, some if not most will be instant rejects, followed by WTF are you thinking follow up discussions). I've found the only way to get any kind of movement at all on top tier (or otherwise a lot of time) is to include high(er) end guys (at least in the discussions to get a ball rolling; doesn't mean I'll eventually do it).

Of all the trades made in our league last year I think I was in on 75% of them and moved some big names to get some big names, and even that was with relatively new GMs over the regulars? I don't see the type of home run swings being made year after year as I improved my team greatly and not realistic to expect the same degree of improvement annually.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I traded Sid in my dynasty league this year for Seguin + W Nylander.

I was happy with that return. Point was to get younger and a bit deeper. Also think Nylander is going to continue to trend up.

Dobber Sports Sage

Of all the trades made in our league last year I think I was in on 75% of them and moved some big names to get some big names, and even that was with relatively new GMs over the regulars? I don't see the type of home run swings being made year after year as I improved my team greatly and not realistic to expect the same degree of improvement annually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh I totally get this. I drafted really poorly last season, our leagues first year. I'd been away from hockey for a long time so made some huge mistakes. I made about 12 trades and the rest of the league made about 5. Incrementally improved my team trade by trade and won the money. Of course, this season I drafted significantly better and likely won't trade anywhere near as much, plus other teams I feel are a bit intimidates to deal with me given how last year went (even tho I never fleeced anyone and had good relations with the GMs, just incremental upgrades). When I read how guys that have been around here for a while like taking on 'project' teams I'm already starting to see how that would be more fun.

This is sometimes the problem playing in a less active league. You may never get great (or even good) value for Sid. Id probably just hold on to him and enjoy the show while it lasts. If the offer you're looking for comes then jump on it and if not you still have the best player in the world for a few years. Your league could easily be disbanded before any significant decline.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):