Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No NHL on NBC during the Olympics

Dobber Sports Sage

Default No NHL on NBC during the Olympics

http://nypost.com/2017/09/23/nhls-de...rrassment/amp/

Surprised this is not getting more attention. All of my local Hawks games are on the soon-to-be renamed NBC Sports Chicago. I wonder if this no-NHL is going to be for NBC and and NBC Sports Network only or for ALL NBC Sports Channels. That will be awful if they make the local channels go dark even though they do not televise any Olympics.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: No NHL on NBC during the Olympics

The assumption is it's across all of their sports networks. Why would it be bad? NBC is sending the NHL a well deserved message.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The NHL doesn't get the "major league" treatment by US television. Meanwhile, the NHL takes Canadian fans for granted. If they are not careful, they will start losing viewers and the all important $$$. How many kids today are as into hockey as their Dad's? I feel like there are less. I could be wrong and all is fine in Canada, but young people today typically don't have the money to go to NHL games and I would think that they will simply find other things to do with their time. The NHL sucks when it comes to their fans. I totally get that it's a business, but out of the other big sports in North America, the NHL needs fans butts in the seats as a large part of their revenues. Should be entertaining watching the next 10 years and how the NHL evolves.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    The NHL doesn't get the "major league" treatment by US television. Meanwhile, the NHL takes Canadian fans for granted. If they are not careful, they will start losing viewers and the all important $$$. How many kids today are as into hockey as their Dad's? I feel like there are less. I could be wrong and all is fine in Canada, but young people today typically don't have the money to go to NHL games and I would think that they will simply find other things to do with their time. The NHL sucks when it comes to their fans. I totally get that it's a business, but out of the other big sports in North America, the NHL needs fans butts in the seats as a large part of their revenues. Should be entertaining watching the next 10 years and how the NHL evolves.
    Exactly what I was always thinking. Kids these days don't seem to follow the sport as much as I did when I was young too (trying to make myself feel old). When I was 8/9 I went and bought a radio to listen to Canuck games when it was past my bedtime LOL. Lots of kids today are more interested into tablets and video games but when I was a kid all I had was hockey so would spend all day outside shooting around. I was watching a game late in the season last year and my nephew asked if he could change it, I was like c mon man who doesn't want to watch hockey.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The assumption is it's across all of their sports networks. Why would it be bad? NBC is sending the NHL a well deserved message.
    Most of us on this site enjoy watching the NHL. And I don't agree with the well-deserved message. I support the NHL not going to the Olympics.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Most of us on this site enjoy watching the NHL. And I don't agree with the well-deserved message. I support the NHL not going to the Olympics.
    The NHL isn't supporting it's main TV sponsor. They have no incentive to reciprocate.

Dobber Sports Sage

The NHL isn't supporting it's main TV sponsor. They have no incentive to reciprocate.
    Do you know what is in the TV contract regarding the NHL's participation in the Olympics?

Dobber Sports Expert

People like you actually exist?
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    People like you actually exist?
    I don't want to argue about the Olympics. I know most of you Canadians are crazy about Olympic hockey.

What I wonder is if NBC is going to block regional hockey broadcasts in the US even on channels that do not televise the Olympics. That would be a huge shot taken at the NHL.

Do you know what is in the TV contract regarding the NHL's participation in the Olympics?
    I don't want to argue about the Olympics. I know most of you Canadians are crazy about Olympic hockey.

What I wonder is if NBC is going to block regional hockey broadcasts in the US even on channels that do not televise the Olympics. That would be a huge shot taken at the NHL.
    It doesn't at all matter what is in the contract in terms of NHL Olympic participation. Fact is, the NBC pays a lot of money to the NHL and a lot of money to broadcast the Olympics. Financially, not going to the Olympics is the NHL taking a huge shot at NBC and not supporting their broadcast partner. It really doesn't matter what is in the contract.

I'm also curious why you think they wouldn't show Olympics on regional channels as well, considering it would quite easily outdraw the NHL in viewership over the 2 weeks. It is a huge shot at the NHL. It's a huge retaliatory shot. And the message is quite clear.

Dobber Sports Titan

It's 13hr time difference from Pyeongchang to Toronto. If main events are on a 7pm, they'll be on at 6am in Toronto. Even earlier the further west you go. NBC could very easily broadcast both but chose not too, it's a big FU to the NHL for sure.

But i'm not getting up to watch any of the events really, i'll follow it online, but likely won't watch much on TV.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

That'll do wonders for stamping out pirated live-streaming feeds.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Sage

It doesn't at all matter what is in the contract in terms of NHL Olympic participation. Fact is, the NBC pays a lot of money to the NHL and a lot of money to broadcast the Olympics. Financially, not going to the Olympics is the NHL taking a huge shot at NBC and not supporting their broadcast partner. It really doesn't matter what is in the contract.

I'm also curious why you think they wouldn't show Olympics on regional channels as well, considering it would quite easily outdraw the NHL in viewership over the 2 weeks. It is a huge shot at the NHL. It's a huge retaliatory shot. And the message is quite clear.
    I completely disagree with. You know all the reasons why the NHL is not going to the Olympics and it is not because of their relationship with NBC.

The reason I don't think that regional NBC Sports cable will not show the Olympics is because they have not done so in the past. It is my understanding that in Chicago, the cable channel is getting rebranded NBC Sports Chicago but it is not a new channel. That channel has never had Olympics on in the past. National NBC Sports and the other NBC cable channels have and I expect them to continue. NBC Sports Chicago televises the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and the Blackhawks.

I completely disagree with. You know all the reasons why the NHL is not going to the Olympics and it is not because of their relationship with NBC.

The reason I don't think that regional NBC Sports cable will not show the Olympics is because they have not done so in the past. It is my understanding that in Chicago, the cable channel is getting rebranded NBC Sports Chicago but it is not a new channel. That channel has never had Olympics on in the past. National NBC Sports and the other NBC cable channels have and I expect them to continue. NBC Sports Chicago televises the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and the Blackhawks.
    I don't believe I said the NHL isn't going to the Olympics because of their relationship with NBC. I said the NHL not going to the Olympics is a huge financial shot at NBC. Which it is. Actions have consequences.

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't believe I said the NHL isn't going to the Olympics because of their relationship with NBC. I said the NHL not going to the Olympics is a huge financial shot at NBC. Which it is. Actions have consequences.
    Guess I misunderstood you. "Shot at" seems intentional to me. I doubt the NHL is deliberately trying to harm the Olympic product for NBC. They probably love giving the middle finger to the IOC though. But disappointing one of their television partners was probably what they regret the most about their decision.